Sorry, I don't do FB. James, can you fill me in on this app please? Does it
work on IOS6? Does it work on the latest versions of iPads and iPhones?

For many years I have used MacGPS Pro on the Mac to apply my track logs and
waypoints to a set of USGS maps that come in condensed pict format with each
state on a DVD.  [http://www.macgpspro.com/]

The same author also brought out an app for the iPhone a couple of years ago
called iHike. [http://www.ihikegps.com/] iHike can download a similar set of
"free" USGS and USFS maps, but not over 3G or 4G; you have to download the maps
over WiFi. But you can still set waypoints and take track logs without the
maps, and then load them later when you get back out of the boonies.

For the sailors out there with an iPhone or iPad take a look at iSailGPS
[http://www.isailgps.com/]. Only with this app you get access to free NOAA
marine charts.

James, I assume the app of which Julia mentioned may be at
[http://topomapsapp.com/index.html]. Apparently they have maps for Canada & the
UK. What about Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, etc.? Does this app let you take track
logs on both the iPad and the iPhone? I know some iPads don't have GPS, but
it's hard to tell from the advertising when so many apps claim they use GPS,
but it is really only "assisted GPS" using cell tower triangulation. What sort
of accuracy does "your" app provide?

 Thanks!

 - Pete