texascavers Digest 13 Feb 2013 17:34:53 -0000 Issue 1706

Topics (messages 21301 through 21308):

KIWI SINK Dig
        21301 by: Gill Edigar

Re: TCC Winter Conference February 22-24
        21302 by: mikewaustin.austin.rr.com

"Tracking bats on the wing" (BATS, BCI, p 2)
        21303 by: Louise Power
        21304 by: Stefan Creaser

Ex-caver intros violent video games
        21305 by: Frank Binney
        21306 by: Jay Jorden

TSS work session cancelled
        21307 by: Ron Ralph

bats and mines
        21308 by: Jim Kennedy

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
KIWI SINK Dig Report--10 February 2013--The highlight of the Sunday
dig was a near body-sized hole in the floor that Erin opened up near
the center of the pit to disclose clean, stream-washed breakdown
boulders extending to a depth of over a meter. We may have found the
bottom of the back fill though not the bottom of the breakdown.

Personnel comprised:
   Don Broussard
   Erin Brown
   Andrew Davison
   Gill Ediger
   Ernie Garza

Total material removed included:
   9 barrels of rocks and mud and back fill
   2 medium sized rocks

Visitors: Kiwi (of course), Hunter, Sol, and John from Limestone Lane.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

     We would like to invite you to attend the Texas Cave Conservancy Winter
Conference.  Cavers are welcome to come out to the TCC Headquarters (1800 West
Park, Cedar Park, Texas), as early as Friday, February 22.  Camping will be
available all weekend.  On Saturday morning at 10:00  several tours workshops,
and work projects will start from the TCC Headquarters.  In addition, caving
will be available.  Contact us by e-mail for additional information on the
caves.  There will be no trips to Beck Ranch Cave.
     Following a day of activities we will have an evening meal and
entertainment at
the TCC Headquarters.  Caving will also be available on Sunday.  Some of the
activities on Saturday include the following:

Cedar Park Karst Tour
Cedar Park Digging Discoveries Tour
Dies Ranch Cave Digging Project
BABE Pit Project
Star Cave Surface Restoration Project
Basic Digital Cave Photography Workshop
Other workshops will be announced  at the TCC Headquarters

For additional Information, e-mail or telephone TCC President – Mike Walsh at:

tcc-ca...@austin.rr.com

512-249-2283

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The Winter 2012 issue of BATS, the BCI publication just out, has a very
interesting article on an autonomous aircraft being developed to track
radio-tagged bats on the wing. The work is being done by Nathan W Fuller (PhD
candidate in biology at Boston University) and Kenneth D Sebesta, PhD (visiting
scholar, Dept of Mechanical Engr, Boston University) with financial help from a
BCI Student Research Scholarship. Allows bats to be tracked at nite in real
time.

The fully autonomous airborne platform costs less than $500 in parts. I can
foresee a system of this kind being used to track other elusive wildlife
targets.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hmm, so this uses RFID tags to track bats? Interesting...

;-)

-Stefan

The Winter 2012 issue of BATS, the BCI publication just out, has a very
interesting article on an autonomous aircraft being developed to track
radio-tagged bats on the wing. The work is being done by Nathan W Fuller (PhD
candidate in biology at Boston University) and Kenneth D Sebesta, PhD (visiting
scholar, Dept of Mechanical Engr, Boston University) with financial help from a
BCI Student Research Scholarship. Allows bats to be tracked at nite in real
time.

The fully autonomous airborne platform costs less than $500 in parts. I can
foresee a system of this kind being used to track other elusive wildlife
targets.

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium. Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Former Inside Earth art director and Kirkwood Kavers resident Justin Carrol
now heads a 45-person Los Angeles studio that produces package art and other
design elements for most of the top titles in the US video game industry.

Justin, through his A/V division Noodlehaus, recently created a five-minute
clip introducing the nominees for this year¹s DICE awards‹the equivalent of
Academy Awards in the video game developers¹ world.

Here¹s a link to the clip (Justin suggests cranking up your volume while
viewing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYP4WeK9f28&feature=player_embedded

I¹m too old to be a video game fan but now I have an inkling as to why
President Obama has asked Congress to provide $10 million for the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention to study the potential link between
violent video games and real-life crime like the Newton massacre.

~ Frank Binney

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey, Frank:

Justin's Inside Earth covers - especially the carbide caver's rappel -remain my
favorites among all caving magazines.
I knew Justin was destined for greatness - like creating album covers and other
commercial art  - so am glad to hear of his exploits.

Cheers,
Jay Jorden

Sent from my smart phone

On Feb 12, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Frank Binney <fr...@frankbinney.com> wrote:

> Former Inside Earth art director and Kirkwood Kavers resident Justin Carrol
> now heads a 45-person Los Angeles studio that produces package art and other
> design elements for most of the top titles in the US video game industry.
>
> Justin, through his A/V division Noodlehaus, recently created a five-minute
> clip introducing the nominees for this year’s DICE awards—the equivalent of
> Academy Awards in the video game developers’ world.
>
> Here’s a link to the clip (Justin suggests cranking up your volume while
> viewing):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYP4WeK9f28&feature=player_embedded
>
> I’m too old to be a video game fan but now I have an inkling as to why
> President Obama has asked Congress to provide $10 million for the Centers for
> Disease Control and Prevention to study the potential link between violent
> video games and real-life crime like the Newton massacre.
>
> ~ Frank Binney

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers,

Just too much going on tomorrow so we will not meet to take care of TSS
business this month.  I hope to reconvene next month at the usual time on
the usual date.

Ron

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This is somewhat related to caves, as bats are often reliant on abandoned mines
where caves are not abundant.  Science North just released a new video in
multiple formats, 23mb to 472mb, English and French, free for copying and
distribution.  Disclaimer:  I have a small part in the video.  Please help
spread the word to anyone you might think will benefit from this.  Thanks!

http://vimeo.com/motionarcstudios/review/55887106/116b8f5305

--- End Message ---