texascavers Digest 17 Aug 2012 17:56:33 -0000 Issue 1609

Topics (messages 20543 through 20548):

Kiwi Sink Dig
        20543 by: Ernest Garza

TCC CAVE DAY  Saturday September 15th
        20544 by: Mike Walsh

Lost/ found
        20545 by: Mallory Mayeux

Honey Creek Cave Tank Haul! Haulers Needed January 19th & 26th
        20546 by: ellie watson

Sunday Swim
        20547 by: pstrickland1.austin.rr.com

off topic - retirement
        20548 by: Logan McNatt

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Hey Diggers,

    There are 6-7 empty barrels to fill, come by on by Sunday, Aug. 19 at late
morning and help us dig. A tarp will shield us from the sun,
the digging is excellent, we are close to  the North Passage. Bring lunch,
gloves and a helmet (we have a couple extras). After the dig,
we may go for a cool swim.
    Park at 444 Billie Brooks Ln, Driftwood, between Kyle and Wimberly.  Pit is
across the street, Call Ernie at (512)847-0183 for more details.

-Ernie

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Two times a year the Texas Cave Conservancy hosts an open house for the
public to learn about caves, cave life and the aquifer as related to caves.
They are held each year in April and in September on the Saturday closest to
the 15th of the month.  This year, the TCC CAVE DAY will be on Saturday
-September 15, 2012.  We have had over two thousand visitors at a CAVE Day.
We always need cavers to assist in this public education effort.  We never
have had enough staff to present our best information.  Each year, we have a
number of cavers come out to the TCC Headquarters, stay in the campground
and go caving here in the Cedar Park, Texas area.  We never have enough
caver support for CAVE DAY.  We may have to hire non-cavers to assist us in
this event in the future. Please let us know if you can assist.  You will be
welcome to stay at the campground and we will even buy food and beer that
evening.  To the cavers that have come out and assisted, we send our thanks.
To those cavers that have assisted in the past and have been burned out by
too few workers, we say Thank you-Thank you for being there when we really
needed you.  We will need workers to take visitors into both Avery Ranch
Cave and the Dies Ranch Treasure Cave.  Last April, we had over 2000
visitors inside the two caves.  This time, we have been forced to conduct No
publicity efforts except for our web site.  That may reduce the number of
visitors and make it easier for our staff.  For additional information on
CAVE DAY, check out our great web site at Texascavers.org/   Since we put
ithe web site online in April 2010, we have had over 653,000 hits.  Once
again, to everyone that has helped make the Texas Cave Conservancy a great
organization.  Thank you.

Mike Walsh

President -Texas Cave Conservancy

512-249-2283

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Is anyone missing a red energizer-brand headlamp that may have somehow ended up
with me?

Also, has anyone run across a Princeton quad that does not belong to them? I'm
missing a couple.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Texas Cavers,

Its time for another Honey Creek Tank Haul and we need cavers to help
haul dive gear on January 19th and January 26th for legendary
cave-divers Dr. Jean Krejca and James Brown. This is an
all-time-classic trip to an extraordinary cave and one of my personal
favorites! I am keeping the list of those interested please let me
know which dates you can make it. We already have 4 signed up but we
need many more!

Cavers are needed on January 19th to haul gear to Sump 1 for Jean and
James to begin their 2-day underground camp/exploration. On January
26th, cavers are needed to go to Sump 1 and haul gear out of the cave.
Camping is available both weekends and we will enter the cave around
9am.

Honey Creek is a water cave and you will need a wetsuit and harness
with d-ring to be lowered on cable down a man-made shaft. I recommend
flotation and water-tight food containers. The trip to the sump
typically takes 6 hours and includes walking, salamandering, crawling,
and "The Mud and The Crud". The trip is challenging but very fun.

Come for one weekend or both. This is a definite must-do trip for any
new caver and if you have already visited the cave, you know it's
worth seeing again.

Spread the word and please don't hesitate to ask me any questions,

Cavingly,

Ellie Watson

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
    The last Sunday Swim this year at Pete & Jocie's pond will be Sunday,
August 26th, 2:00 - 6:00 or so. Bring snacks and drinks to share, (or not). For
info, call (don't text) Pete at 512-897-9235.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I retired from Texas Parks and Wildlife Department on August 15th, after 18+ years of working there (1972-1976 part-time; 1996-2012). If you have my TPWD work email address and phone #, please be sure to delete them from your address book/contacts. They don't work anymore (like me, for now).

I've sent evites to some of you for my retirement party, but know that I've missed a lot of you who will want to come. It will be a mix of cavers, archeologists, TPWD folks, and other friends. So here's the info:

Saturday August 25th, 2012  5:30 to 11:30 p.m.
Zilker Clubhouse west of Zilker Park and Loop 1/Mopac, off Rollingwood Drive http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=200%20Zilker%20Clubhouse%20Rd&city=Austin&state=TX&zipcode=78746
beer, music, fire-dancer, champion kite flyer provided
potluck

Here's how my new life of retirement is going so far.

_Day 1_: Calendar says "SLEEP LATE, DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING".
5:30 a.m.  woke up
6:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight on computer and phone answering messages most of day; wash dishes; feeble attempts to clean house; put tarp on roof to last until roofers come on Aug 28th;

_Day 2_   Calendar says "SLEEP LATE, DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING"
9:00 a.m.  woke up, making rapid progress in adjusting to new lifestyle

Onward Through the Fog,

LowGun
4419 Clawson Rd
Austin, TX  78745-1039