texascavers Digest 2 Sep 2012 13:16:12 -0000 Issue 1620

Topics (messages 20654 through 20661):

Re: blue moon
        20654 by: Steve Keselik
        20655 by: Louise Power

Re: blue moon--on a more informative note
        20656 by: Louise Power

Blue Moon of Kentucky
        20657 by: Preston Forsythe
        20658 by: Louise Power

How to Get to Mars
        20659 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        20660 by: Ted Samsel

"Snail Shell Cave" by Larry Matthews & Bob Biddix
        20661 by: NSS Announcements

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Whats the name of this moon,Steve

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
> There seems to be a bit of contention about exactly what a Blue Moon
> is. Some say it's 2 full moons in a month--there have been several of
> them in the past few years. Others say that historically it is the 3rd
> full moon in a 3 month quarter that has 4 full moons. At any rate,
> there are almost exactly 13 full moons in any 365-day cycle that
> starts with a full moon--which happens every 28 days. So, every
> calendar year doesn't necessarily have 13 of um. To complicate that,
> the months have to line up with the moon, as well. If the cycles are
> close enough we could have 2 blue moons in a 12-month period, I think.
> Didn't we have a February Blue Moon just last year?
> --Ediger
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> Tomorrow (Friday) night is a blue moon, the second full moon in a calendar
>> month. Sounds like an excuse for a "once in a blue moon" party. Anybody
>> having one?
>>
>> The next blue moon will be in July 2015. -- Mixon
>> Forgive your enemies . . . after they are hanged.
>> You may "reply" to the address this message
>> came from, but for long-term use, save:
>> Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
>> AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

> > There seems to be a bit of contention about exactly what a Blue Moon
> > is. Some say it's 2 full moons in a month--there have been several of
> > them in the past few years. Others say that historically it is the 3rd
> > full moon in a 3 month quarter that has 4 full moons. At any rate,
> > there are almost exactly 13 full moons in any 365-day cycle that
> > starts with a full moon--which happens every 28 days. So, every
> > calendar year doesn't necessarily have 13 of um. To complicate that,
> > the months have to line up with the moon, as well. If the cycles are
> > close enough we could have 2 blue moons in a 12-month period, I think.
> > Didn't we have a February Blue Moon just last year?
> > --Ediger
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Tomorrow (Friday) night is a blue moon, the second full moon in a calendar
> >> month. Sounds like an excuse for a "once in a blue moon" party. Anybody
> >> having one?
> >>
> >> The next blue moon will be in July 2015. -- Mixon
> >> Forgive your enemies . . . after they are hanged.
> >> You may "reply" to the address this message
> >> came from, but for long-term use, save:
> >> Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
> >> AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sorry, just couldn't resist this one.
On a more informative note, here are some links about the full moon. Look fast;
there won't be another one for three years. I hope when you looked at it you
gave Neil Armstrong a thought.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-names/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120830-blue-moon-space-science/

http://www.space.com/14164-2012-full-moon-names-skywatching.html

Happy Labor Day,
Louise
From: power_lou...@hotmail.com
To: skese...@gmail.com; gi...@att.net
CC: bmixon...@austin.rr.com; texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:24:04 -0700
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] blue moon

This moon's name is Ernie.

> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:09:39 -0500
> From: skese...@gmail.com
> To: gi...@att.net
> CC: bmixon...@austin.rr.com; texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] blue moon
>
> Whats the name of this moon,Steve
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
> > There seems to be a bit of contention about exactly what a Blue Moon
> > is. Some say it's 2 full moons in a month--there have been several of
> > them in the past few years. Others say that historically it is the 3rd
> > full moon in a 3 month quarter that has 4 full moons. At any rate,
> > there are almost exactly 13 full moons in any 365-day cycle that
> > starts with a full moon--which happens every 28 days. So, every
> > calendar year doesn't necessarily have 13 of um. To complicate that,
> > the months have to line up with the moon, as well. If the cycles are
> > close enough we could have 2 blue moons in a 12-month period, I think.
> > Didn't we have a February Blue Moon just last year?
> > --Ediger
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Tomorrow (Friday) night is a blue moon, the second full moon in a calendar
> >> month. Sounds like an excuse for a "once in a blue moon" party. Anybody
> >> having one?
> >>
> >> The next blue moon will be in July 2015. -- Mixon
> >> Forgive your enemies . . . after they are hanged.
> >> You may "reply" to the address this message
> >> came from, but for long-term use, save:
> >> Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
> >> AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Last night we did have a clear view of the huge rising full Blue Moon.

Reminds me of that old Bill Monroe classic----

Blue Moon Of Kentucky lyrics

Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on shining
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on shining
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
It was on one moonlight night
Stars shining bright
Whisper on high
Love said goodbye
Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shining
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

(As released by Patsy Cline, August 5, 1963)

I said blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

It was on one moonlit night, stars shinin' bright
( From:
http://www.elyrics.net/read/b/bill-monroe-lyrics/blue-moon-of-kentucky-lyrics.html
 )
Whispered on high, love said goodbye

I said blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

Well, it was on one moonlit night, stars shinin' bright
Whispered on high, your lover said goodbye
I said blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
Left me blue

Preston in Outer Browder about 30 miles from Rosine, KY, the birthplace of Bill
Monroe.
A little star and moon watching has always been a part of my camping fun when
on caving adventures.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Preston, Thanks for the memories. I was at a Bill Monroe concert back in the
60s when he sang this. If anybody wants to hear the original, go to
http://www.billmonroe.com/
Nothing like it. He was one of a kind.
Louise
From: pns_...@bellsouth.net
To: power_lou...@hotmail.com
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Blue Moon of Kentucky
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:42:18 -0500

[...]

Blue moon of
Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me
blue

It was on one moonlit night, stars shinin' bright
( From:
http://www.elyrics.net/read/b/bill-monroe-lyrics/blue-moon-of-kentucky-lyrics.html

)
Whispered on high, love said goodbye

I said blue moon of Kentucky,
keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

Blue
moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me
blue
Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone
and left me blue

Well, it was on one moonlit night, stars shinin'
bright
Whispered on high, your lover said goodbye
I said blue moon of
Kentucky, keep on a-shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me
blue
Left me blue

Preston in
Outer Browder about 30 miles from Rosine, KY, the birthplace of Bill
Monroe.
A little star
and moon watching has always been a part of my camping fun when on caving
adventures.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

How to Get to Mars

This is way, way off topic, unless you have some far-out idea about exploring
caves on Mars.

This is all about how we have landed the Martian rovers.   Some interesting
animations and information if you are interested and have not been following
this in detail.

A JPL animation of the Spirit Rover mission that launched in 2003.

Click here: How to Get to Mars.

The comparable animation of the current mission is

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwinFP8_qIM&feature=related

Which depicts the seemingly crazy landing scheme (which worked!) and some
things that have not happened yet.

A video of the details of how the landing scheme for Curiosity worked:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xskwyy_rover-curiosity-s-entry-descent-landing-what-to-expect_tech

The rover is as large as a small car and weighs a ton.   This amount of mass,
plus, of course, the heat shield, rockets, and sky-crane backpack, make this by
far the most massive Lander ever attempted on Mars. It is too heavy to land
with previously used systems, such as the "balloon" cocoon used before the two
smaller rovers in 2004.

>From first touching the Martian atmosphere at about 13,000 mph (6 km/sec) it
>took 7 minutes to land.   Radio transmission to the Lander from Earth takes 14
>minutes, so the Lander was pre-programmed and had to execute everything
>flawlessly without guidance from Earth.

The first major "new" idea with this Lander was a guided entry - the Lander
encased in its container and heat shield had aerodynamic lift - it was
steerable and flyable, thanks in part to tungsten masses (weights) that kept
it's mass off-center, and to small rockets on the back of the

encased Lander.   This made sure that the Lander was aimed at the correct
landing spot.   Mars has just enough atmosphere that things heat up - to around
1600 degrees F in hypersonic entry down to about 1000 mph - still supersonic.

The largest ever supersonic parachute is deployed.   There is no way to test
this parachute in advance - the engioneering design has to be good.   The
tungsten masses are ejected to correct the center of gravity and the heat
shield ejected so the Lander can see the surface and find its pre-programmed
landing spot.

The Martian atmosphere is so thin that the parachute could only slow the Lander
to about 200 mph a mile above the surface.   At this point the parachute is
released and the rocket backpack flys the Lander sideways and away from the
parachute.   Then it begins a vertical descent toward the surface, slowing the
Lander to about 1.5 mph.

The second really "new" idea is the sky crane.   Still descending   vertically
at about 1.5 mph, the rover deploys it's wheels and is lowered 20 meters below
the rocket platform.   When the rover's wheels touch the Martian surface and
it's weight is taken up by the ground, the sky crane waits 5 seconds to make
sure the Rover is really on the surface, then cuts the cables attaching it to
the Rover, and flys up and off to the side, crashing a safe distance from the
Rover.

The Rover unfurls it's cameras and antenna, checks itself, and send a message
back to Earth "Hi. I'm here. Waiting further Instructions".   15 minutes later,
the control room at JPL   erupts with shouts of relief.

DirtDoc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Now that you are on Mars, here's a panorama...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/high-res-curiosity-panorama/

Where's Burning Man?   [?]

Ted

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> surface, slowing the Lander to about 1.5 mph.
>
> ** **
>
> The second really "new" idea is the sky crane.  Still descending  vertically
> at about 1.5 mph, the rover deploys it's wheels and is lowered 20 meters
> below the rocket platform.  When the rover's wheels touch the Martian
> surface and it's weight is taken up by the ground, the sky crane waits 5
> seconds to make sure the Rover is really on the surface, then cuts the
> cables attaching it to the Rover, and flys up and off to the side, crashing
> a safe distance from the Rover.
>
> ** **
>
> The Rover unfurls it's cameras and antenna, checks itself, and send a
> message back to Earth "Hi. I'm here. Waiting further Instructions".  15
> minutes later, the control room at JPL  erupts with shouts of relief.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

The "Snail Shell Cave" book by Larry E. Matthews and Bob Biddix has left the printers and is in route to the NSS Office in Huntsville. It will go on sale next week. Check the NSS Bookstore web site for details.

This book is so up-to-date (How up-to-date is it?) that it will include exciting details of cave diving that took place in the system just two (2) weeks ago !!!

The story begins in 1951, when Tom Barr discovers Snail Shell Cave, Nanna Cave, and Echo Cave, then continues decade-by-decade up through the incredible underwater discoveries of the past few years. This is an exciting story !!! Five maps trace the underground water flow for an amazing 14-mile straight-line distance through a series of caves, blue holes, springs, and sumps. The flow path is a-maze-ing. The book is lavishly illustrated with black-and-white and color photographs and numerous maps. Many, many, many cavers contributed trip reports, maps, and photographs to this book. It is incredibly thorough.

Finished size is 250 pages long and it will be available in both Softbound and Hardbound The NSS Bookstore has informed me that the NSS Member price will be $28.00, plus shipping for the Softbound Edition. It will be another two (2) weeks before the Hardbound Edition is available.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

--- End Message ---