texascavers Digest 14 Sep 2012 20:45:21 -0000 Issue 1626

Topics (messages 20694 through 20702):

Sinkhole Conference deadline extension for students only!
        20694 by: George Veni

Re: [SWR] [Texascavers] Fw: [PBSS] September Meeting Notes
        20695 by: Jacqueline Thomas
        20696 by: Bill Bentley
        20702 by: Corky

Re: Knee Pads
        20697 by: Linda Palit

Bats in North Dallas: NBC News Local Affiliate
        20698 by: R D Milhollin

Artificial Bat Cave
        20699 by: Mark Minton

Lost Oasis Preserve Clean-up
        20700 by: ryan monjaras

TSA Nominations
        20701 by: Arburn Don

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends

Just a few minutes ago the Sinkhole Conference Organizing Committee decided
to extend the deadline, for abstracts for students only and for student
applications for the Barry F. Beck Sinkhole Conference Student Scholarship,
to the end of September. We have received many excellent abstracts for the
Sinkhole Conference in general, but with lower registration prices plus this
new scholarship, we are trying to encourage as many students as possible to
attend. The Sinkhole Conference is a great way for students considering a
career in cave and karst science to meet potential colleagues and employers,
as well as to learn a great amount of cutting-edge information on karst
environmental management.

For more information on the Beck Scholarship, to register for the
conference, and for students to send abstracts and applications, go to
http://www.nckri.org/sinkholeconference2013. Again, the deadline has been
extended only for students through 30 September 2012. If you do not see
these changes on the website, it is because we just made the decision; the
website will be updated soon.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919

Fax: 575-887-5523

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
After reading these emails I found "Ess Cave" with coordinates on Google. I
requested directions, and was redirected to maps. I received directions, then
followed the link to report inappropriate content. Ess Cave is now listed
without coordinates and shows as having been changed four hours ago. I put in a
second request for directions and this time I received the "need more
information about destination" message.

I don't know if that was the only place a location was listed but the person I
found attached to the cave and the coordinates had responded quickly. This
might not be the listing Bill was referring to but it was the only one I could
find that had a location.

Lots of pictures, though…

Jacqui

On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Joe Ranzau wrote:

> The issue I saw is that someone made a custom google map with the cave
> location and left it public.  I use the custom maps for work or caving trips
> all the time.  The key is to make them private.  You can still share the maps
> but your locations and what not will not show up for the public to see.  The
> quickest resolution might be to find the map owner (Bill is on it) and get
> them to make the map private.
>
> Joe
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Kurt L. Menking <gi...@bcad.org> wrote:
> Just for the sake of multiple complaints, I reported a problem regarding Ess
> Cave as well.
>

> I know several us GIS’ers locally have submitted errors and other problems to
> Google maps over the past few years.  By in large they have been very
> responsive, and have in every instance resolved the issue, and responded
> quickly.
>

> Kurt

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It has been corrected and wasn't the exact spot in the first place.... Thanks
to all
Bill

Jacqueline Thomas <jlrtho...@verizon.net> wrote:

>After reading these emails I found "Ess Cave" with coordinates on Google. I
>requested directions, and was redirected to maps. I received directions, then
>followed the link to report inappropriate content. Ess Cave is now listed
>without coordinates and shows as having been changed four hours ago. I put in
>a second request for directions and this time I received the "need more
>information about destination" message.
>
>I don't know if that was the only place a location was listed but the person I
>found attached to the cave and the coordinates had responded quickly. This
>might not be the listing Bill was referring to but it was the only one I could
>find that had a location.
>
>Lots of pictures, though…
>
>Jacqui
>
>On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Joe Ranzau wrote:
>
>> The issue I saw is that someone made a custom google map with the cave
>> location and left it public.  I use the custom maps for work or caving trips
>> all the time.  The key is to make them private.  You can still share the
>> maps but your locations and what not will not show up for the public to see.
>>  The quickest resolution might be to find the map owner (Bill is on it) and
>> get them to make the map private.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Kurt L. Menking <gi...@bcad.org> wrote:
>> Just for the sake of multiple complaints, I reported a problem regarding Ess
>> Cave as well.
>>

>> I know several us GIS’ers locally have submitted errors and other problems
>> to Google maps over the past few years.  By in large they have been very
>> responsive, and have in every instance resolved the issue, and responded
>> quickly.
>>

>> Kurt

I've never been to Ess, but this is what I found a few minutes ago:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&vpsrc=6&ctz=300&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212266125842316788467.0004b076b90d9727fb12c&ll=30.938314,-101.998401&spn=0,0&t=m&source=embed

Hopefully this is not correct.

Corky

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I like howitzers. On rope carries them.

On Monday, September 10, 2012, Alex Sproul wrote:

> **
> On 10 Sep 2012 at 15:20, James Jasek wrote:
>
> What are the most comfortable knee pads made to wear on the outside of
> clothing.
>

> *Crawldaddies*<http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?search=crawldaddies&catalogentryid=780&brand=Crawldaddies>
>
> or
>
> *Dirty
> Dave's*<http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?brand[]=Crawldaddies&subcategoryid=12&page=1&catalogentryid=841&brand=Dirty%20Daves>
>

>  Alex
>

>  --
> *Alex Sproul*
> *NSS 8086RL/FE*
> *NSS Webmaster*
> *www.caves.org* <http://www.caves.org>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Short story that made the nbcnews.com feed tonight, written by local reporter
Kevin Cokely. I find it hard to believe this is the first reference in the
mainstream media to the positive effects of urban bat populations from the
center of the West Nile Virus (North American) Universe. This should be a
wakeup call for more bat houses and bat-friendly infrastructure.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49013703/ns/local_news-dallas_fort_worth_tx/#.UFFpK0KyxGM

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- First we had the chiroptorium <http://bambergerranch.org/the-bats-of-selah/>; now the Nature Conservancy is building an artificial bat cave in Tennessee that can be disinfected to combat WNS. <http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/tennessee/artificialbatcave.xml>

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There is a scheduled clean-up of Lost Oasis Cave Preserve for Sunday Sept. 16
at 10 A.M. Please bring chain saws, loppers and other brush clearing equipment.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided and so will entry into the cave. If it
is raining the clean-up will be canceled and rescheduled for a later date. Any
questions please e-mail me back and if you are going contact me so I can get an
estimate on how much food to buy.

"Semper Exploro" Ryan MonjarasMaverick GrottoCowtown GrottoDFW GrottoUT Grotto
SecretaryBexar GrottoGreater Houston GrottoTSATCMALost Oasis Preserve Manager
(832)754-5778

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This is a shout out to the Texas Speleological Association's membership.  It's
down to the wire and time for TSA Chair nominations. There are three positions
open; Nominations Committee Chair, Secretary and Vice President. Your TSA needs
you. First, we need to get a volunteer to chair the Nominations Committee.
It's fun, it's easy and it's short, and feel the power wielded in your hands.
Contact me off list for more info.
That is all.

Don Arburn
President