Actually, I'd guess that William Russell might be the only active member who has actually seen bylaws of the UT Grotto.

The NSS Internal Organizations Committee (http://caves.org/committee/i-o/ ) used to have a model set of bylaws for grottos. I can't find any such thing on the NSS web site right now, though.

The Windy City Grotto, which I was in from its beginning in 1961, had a very simple set of bylaws. There was a little bit of boilerplate about goals being the same as those of the NSS, etc., but basically it said that a board consisting of chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, treasurer, and member-at-large, who together appointed an editor as a sixth board member, was elected annually and had complete control and responsibility for all grotto affairs. It was said that the board member-at-large was there to round out a six-pack. I was editor for about 17 years, until I moved to Austin in 1981. The current editor has been in that position since I left, putting my record duration to shame. So far as I know, that setup is still the case and still working. It keeps grotto meetings nicely free of business. The board met in a home on a different night once a month, and other members could attend if they wanted to.

It helps a lot if a grotto has little or no money.... -- Mixon
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org