texascavers Digest 19 May 2012 23:05:05 -0000 Issue 1552

Topics (messages 20004 through 20016):

Re: Past, Present, and Future of THE TEXAS CAVER - A Discussion
        20004 by: Mark Minton
        20005 by: Butch Fralia
        20006 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        20007 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        20016 by: freddie poer

Caver, articles, and interest
        20008 by: Linda Palit
        20010 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        20011 by: Mark Minton

Join us for the next NSS Webinar - June 6th!
        20009 by: NSS Announcements

Rock Climbers in China Caves
        20012 by: Mark Minton
        20015 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

rock climbing in China cave
        20013 by: Mixon Bill
        20014 by: Mark Minton

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- I agree with Mallory. In the past, grotto newsletters were usually very local in scope and not of general interest to cavers elsewhere. There might also be reports on things like vertical practice or a survey class. When there were enough (were there ever really enough?) articles on original exploration or project and expedition reports in Texas Caver, even sport trip reports could be safely relegated to grotto newsletters. However in the present situation with few articles available, it might make sense to submit all trip reports to both the local newsletter and Texas Caver.

Mark

At 03:55 PM 5/17/2012, Mallory Mayeux wrote:
Who says the two have to be mutually exclusive? I enjoy "Speleospace" (the Houston Grotto newsletter) and "The Texas Caver."

Our grotto newsletters feature meeting minutes, etc that would be an absolute bore to anyone not affiliated with the Houston Grotto. We have the same problems as Mark, tho...no one wants to contribute articles! So it's not like people are too busy writing articles for their grotto newsletter to contribute articles to TSA....

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com> wrote:

I'm thinking that it's very selfish of individual Grottos to produce their own newsletters and not support the Texas Caver.

Surely Grotto meetings are there to talk about your own stuff, and the Texas Caver to share it with everyone else? What purpose does a Grotto newsletter serve?

My 2p.

-Stefan

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sorry The Maverick Grotto flopped, there were a lot of articles that started
there and ended up in The Caver.  Same thing with the DFW Oztotl years ago.
I can't do the things I did back then so don't get out to write articles.
Surely there's someone out there with an ego that likes to see their name in
print.

Butch

         I agree with Mallory.  In the past, grotto newsletters were
usually very local in scope and not of general interest to cavers
elsewhere.  There might also be reports on things like vertical
practice or a survey class.  When there were enough (were there ever
really enough?) articles on original exploration or project and
expedition reports in Texas Caver, even sport trip reports could be
safely relegated to grotto newsletters.  However in the present
situation with few articles available, it might make sense to submit
all trip reports to both the local newsletter and Texas Caver.

Mark

At 03:55 PM 5/17/2012, Mallory Mayeux wrote:
>Who says the two have to be mutually exclusive? I enjoy
>"Speleospace" (the Houston Grotto newsletter) and "The Texas Caver."
>
>Our grotto newsletters feature meeting minutes, etc that would be an
>absolute bore to anyone not affiliated with the Houston Grotto. We
>have the same problems as Mark, tho...no one wants to contribute
>articles! So it's not like people are too busy writing articles for
>their grotto newsletter to contribute articles to TSA....
>
>On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Stefan Creaser
><stefan.crea...@arm.com> wrote:
>
>I'm thinking that it's very selfish of individual Grottos to produce
>their own newsletters and not support the Texas Caver.
>
>Surely Grotto meetings are there to talk about your own stuff, and
>the Texas Caver to share it with everyone else? What purpose does a
>Grotto newsletter serve?
>
>My 2p.
>
>-Stefan

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Superb idea, Mark!

Editors, do your part.

Thanks,

Mark

From: George Veni <gv...@nckri.org>
Discussion
To: "'freddie poer'" <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 1:06 PM

Recreational caving is the backbone of all cave related activities. Cave
science, cave management, making the public supportive and aware of the
importance of caves, cannot be done without recreational caving. It provides
the starting point where most cave scientists, managers, educators, etc., get
the spark to pursue their careers. It is the basic training ground for those
cavers who want to focus on mapping, photographing, diving, and doing so many
other things in and related to caves.

Caving organizations from the local to international levels understand this
relationship and their charters include “cave exploration” (or related terms)
as important a part of their structure as the other specialties. In my view,
anyone who feels that one group of cavers is better than another is missing the
big picture. The recreational caver who doesn’t survey, do restoration
projects, or collect scientific data is still providing the integral service of
visiting caves, reporting discoveries and changes, and caving with and thus
training others who may decide to specialize their cave activities.

Lastly, I prefer the term “recreational” caver to “sport” caver. The latter
implies competitions and game-type activities that are, if not reckless in a
cave, then certainly have the potential to harm caves. “Recreational” caver is
better but not perfect. I love doing science, exploration, survey, photography,
restoration, training, and visiting caves with no other purpose than to enjoy
being there. And I find it all “recreational.”

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919
Fax: 575-887-5523
gv...@nckri.org
www.nckri.org

From: George Veni <gv...@nckri.org>
Discussion
To: "'Texas Cavers'" <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 10:06 AM

Reading this e-mail exchange and the perceived focus on too many science
articles in the TC made me think that I didn’t recall any recent science
articles. So I took a quick at the table of contents for the last nine issues
through the start of 2010 and found a total of 60 articles listed. I found an
abundance of reports on surveys, projects, and generally lots of “fun”
(non-project/non-survey/non-sciency) caving Texas cavers are doing in Texas,
with a small number of reports on caving in Mexico. I found reports on TCRs,
TSA conventions, equipment reports, and news I expect most cavers would be
interested in. I only found one article that could be classified as “science,”
a nice 1-page report by Jerry Atkinson and Butch Fralia on bad air in Texas
caves. Considering how many Texas caves have bad air, I’d also expect this
would be of interest to most cavers who generally aren’t interested in science
articles.

So for at least for the past two years, the TC has had a nice mix of articles
with no bias toward science. As I also skimmed through these articles, I was
impressed with the great quality of caving, maps, reporting, and information
provided by Texas cavers, and Mark’s skills at coaxing the articles and photos
and providing them to us in a beautiful format.

It has always been necessary for TC editors to arm-twist articles from cavers.
And there are always cycles where minimal twisting is needed and times like now
where tons of pressure produces little result. I deeply appreciate Mark’s
efforts and those of past editors. It is not an easy job. In hopes that it
helps Mark at least a little, here are two thoughts that might get some of you
to send in material.

1)      If you are organizing a trip or project, the cave owner or manager may
want a trip report. Sometimes they don’t ask for one, but to maintain access to
the cave many cavers will often send an occasional trip report or summary of
trips. If you do this, and the owner doesn’t object, send a copy of the TC.

2)     If you a new caver and think us old timers aren’t interested in what
you’re doing, you’re wrong. When I started caving, I had a tough time getting
on trips and the attention of some of the big-time cavers. I soon discovered
that after I started sending reports to the TC, I was suddenly welcomed by many
cavers and onto trips and projects. I’ve seen this happen over and over with
many other cavers since then. Publishing articles in the TC shows people what
you’re doing, that you in fact know what you’re doing as a skilled and
responsible caver, and increases their confidence and desire to spend time with
you and to invite you on trips. It doesn’t happen overnight, but it does start
to happen after a few articles.

Again, my thanks to Mark for his excellent work on the TC.

George