texascavers Digest 22 May 2012 14:32:49 -0000 Issue 1554

Topics (messages 20020 through 20025):

10 Reasons I Would Rather Be Caving
        20020 by: Sheryl Rieck
        20021 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        20022 by: Lyndon Tiu
        20023 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        20024 by: Mallory Mayeux
        20025 by: Fritz Holt

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I started caving a bit later in life than many people and promptly became
too busy to cave even though I had fallen in love with the peace and beauty
of the caves I had visited. I have not been in a cave in 4 years, but
almost no day goes by that I don’t think about caving. It is my choices
that have kept me from caving. That doesn’t keep from missing it any less.

As I was wading through the massive number of issues associated with a
go-live (the ultimate goal of my projects) that was in too short a time
span and with too little information, I found myself thinking yet again of
caving and how I would so much prefer to be underground with a bunch of fun
folks than getting my butt kicked by issues.  About this same time, the
emails from Mark began.

I agreed with the assessment of the publications becoming very scientific.
I’m an accountant. I have no scientific knowledge in the realm of
speleological studies. I don’t read those articles because they make my
eyes roll back in my head and that just makes my eyes hurt. So, in an
effort to give Mark an article and to give us laypeople something to read,
I came up with 10 reasons I would rather be caving. I thought maybe you
could send Mark YOUR 10 reasons you would rather be caving. Knowing the
Texas caving community as I do, I think that the articles would be
fascinating.

Here are my 10:

1.       The snakes are only at the entrance of a cave and look like snakes.

2.       A traffic jam is just a good way to rest in a cave.

3.       The people who annoy me most would never be able to find me in a
cave.

4.       My laptop cannot get a signal in a cave. That is my story and I am
sticking to it no matter what.

5.       My cell phone cannot get a signal in a cave. Ditto sticking to it.

6.       Saying you have been mapping a cave sounds more interesting than
saying you have been mapping a chart of accounts.

7.       Mapping a cave IS more interesting than mapping a chart of
accounts.

8.       When I am in the dark in a cave that is the way it is supposed to
be.

9.       I have met some interesting, entertaining, and/or incredibly odd
people on caving trips and that is just fun.

10.   I am usually not the strangest person in the group.

I cannot wait to see what others’ 10 reasons are that they would rather be
caving. I have read some truly amazing words from so many of you. You are
verbose, imaginative, and clever people and I think your 10 reasons would
be worth a read.

Disclaimer: Not all submissions will be published and you know why.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks, Sheryl!

OK, I'll start:

"Since I'm not able to visit the moon, caving is the closest I'll ever
get to visiting an alien landscape and having an "otherworldly"
experience."

Your turn!

Mark

[...]

Sounds like a good title for a TC article.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Damn! You figured out Sheryl and my ulterior motive, Lyndon!

As Sheryl stated, please be aware that your responses can/will be used
in the next issue of The TEXAS CAVER.

If you have no problem with this, post away!

Thanks,

Mark

wrote:
> [...]
>
> 7.       Mapping a cave IS more interesting than mapping a chart of
> accounts.
>
> 8.       When I am in the dark in a cave that is the way it is
supposed to
> be.
>
> 9.       I have met some interesting, entertaining, and/or incredibly
odd
> people on caving trips and that is just fun.
>
> 10.   I am usually not the strangest person in the group.
>

> I cannot wait to see what others' 10 reasons are that they would
rather be
> caving. I have read some truly amazing words from so many of you. You
are
> verbose, imaginative, and clever people and I think your 10 reasons
would be
> worth a read.
>

> Disclaimer: Not all submissions will be published and you know why.

Mark,

You took my best reason!

Here goes my list: (both playful and serious.)

The smell of cave dirt  brings back the BEST memories. (I began caving in
college, at Mammoth Cave, the first time I was ever really away from home.
When I take a deep breath underground, suddenly I'm 19 again, tasting my
first freedom, and life's possibilities are endless.)

There is nothing like a 12+ hour cave trip to run your mind blank, and just
exist in the moment.

Caving gear is my indulgence. Ordering a shiny pantin, a thick coil of new
11 mm rope, a colorful new Rutherford pack, chunky boots...bliss! I love
them all and can't wait to put them to good use!

The fear you feel when you're stepping off the side of a tall pit makes you
feel alive.

If society collapses I know ALL the best hideouts.

The people. Cavers have been my best friends, significant others,
inspirations. And of course, some of the weirdest people that I've ever
met! Not a day goes by that I don't thank God and whatever stars aligned
that I fell into caving and became one of you wackos. :)

The couch at Deep/Punkin is the comfiest one I've ever slept on.

Getting to cave entrances puts my RAV4's 4x4 capabilities to good use.
Probably the ONLY time I get to use that feature.

If I go caving, I usually go west. And when I go west, sometimes I see
cactus. And cactus is really cool.

I look damn good in a wetsuit. Honey Creek Tank Haul, baby!

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM, <mark.al...@l-3com.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Damn! You figured out Sheryl and my ulterior motive, Lyndon!
>
> As Sheryl stated, please be aware that your responses can/will be used in
> the next issue of***** The TEXAS CAVER.*
>
> If you have no problem with this, post away!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mallory,

Cool recollections from a gung ho caver who looks damn good in a wetsuit. Most
of us have been there and experienced the excitement of entering a cave, old or
new. For most of us the best part of caving is the camaraderie with fellow
caver friends.
KEEP ON CAVING!

Fritz, an old spelunker

________________________________

<sheryl.ri...@gmail.com<mailto:sheryl.ri...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> I started caving a bit later in life than many people and promptly became

> too busy to cave even though I had fallen in love with the peace and beauty

> of the caves I had visited. I have not been in a cave in 4 years, but almost

> no day goes by that I don't think about caving. It is my choices that have

> kept me from caving. That doesn't keep from missing it any less.

> As I was wading through the massive number of issues associated with a

> go-live (the ultimate goal of my projects) that was in too short a time span

> and with too little information, I found myself thinking yet again of caving

> and how I would so much prefer to be underground with a bunch of fun folks

> than getting my butt kicked by issues.  About this same time, the emails

> from Mark began.

> I agreed with the assessment of the publications becoming very scientific.

> I'm an accountant. I have no scientific knowledge in the realm of

> speleological studies. I don't read those articles because they make my eyes

> roll back in my head and that just makes my eyes hurt. So, in an effort to

> give Mark an article and to give us laypeople something to read, I came up

> with 10 reasons I would rather be caving. I thought maybe you could send

> Mark YOUR 10 reasons you would rather be caving. Knowing the Texas caving

> community as I do, I think that the articles would be fascinating.

> Here are my 10:

> 1.       The snakes are only at the entrance of a cave and look like snakes.

> 2.       A traffic jam is just a good way to rest in a cave.

> 3.       The people who annoy me most would never be able to find me in a

> cave.

> 4.       My laptop cannot get a signal in a cave. That is my story and I am

> sticking to it no matter what.

> 5.       My cell phone cannot get a signal in a cave. Ditto sticking to it.

> 6.       Saying you have been mapping a cave sounds more interesting than

> saying you have been mapping a chart of accounts.

> 7.       Mapping a cave IS more interesting than mapping a chart of

> accounts.

> 8.       When I am in the dark in a cave that is the way it is supposed to

> be.

> 9.       I have met some interesting, entertaining, and/or incredibly odd

> people on caving trips and that is just fun.

> 10.   I am usually not the strangest person in the group.

> I cannot wait to see what others' 10 reasons are that they would rather be

> caving. I have read some truly amazing words from so many of you. You are

> verbose, imaginative, and clever people and I think your 10 reasons would be

> worth a read.

> Disclaimer: Not all submissions will be published and you know why.

--

Lyndon Tiu

For additional commands, e-mail:
texascavers-h...@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers-h...@texascavers.com>