Benjamin,

Thanks for elaboration at CWAN. I agree with you. The same thing is
happening at Honey Creek. As you understand, but for those readers on the
list who are less familiar with carbonate geochemistry, it isn't really the
airflow per se that is causing the calcite precipitation. The airflow is
instead the mechanism of keeping the partial pressure of carbon dioxide in
the air below that of the water, allowing the water to degas some of its
carbon dioxide and precipitate the calcite rafts. Without airflow to replace
the carbon dioxide-rich air with fresher air, the carbon dioxide partial
pressures in air and water would effectively equalize so no degassing and
thus no calcite precipitation would take place.

During my research at CWAN I also saw great rafts form and disappear,
especially around my stage recorder stilling well at the dam. I measured
atmospheric carbon dioxide monthly in the cave and those who have a copy of
my dissertation (apparently still available from the TSS at:
http://www.utexas.edu/tmm/sponsored_sites/tss/publications/tsspubmono.htm)
can see a plot of the seasonal changes. Of course I expect Evelynn's data to
be far more detailed than mine and I'd love to see her results someday.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919