I enlarged the Wire Wiggle slightly when I went through it back in the 80's(?). I couldn't get my long legs around the corner, so I used my Swiss Army knife to carve away a bit of rock so that my knees could make the turn. It was quite soft, likely due to some type of surface corrosion. I think the Wire Wiggle was originally impassable when first discovered, thus the name. The corner is more than a right angle; 120 degrees is more than 90 degrees.

An interesting thing about the gypsum needles at the back of Airmans is that they can come and go, just like the calcite ice people have been discussing. On one trip when I was there they were plentiful and up to a foot long. On another trip a few months later there were few if any to be seen. Later still they had reappeared. Apparently they redissolve into the dirt when the humidity is high enough.

For other interesting names, see the Cave Chronicles feature in the December 2011 NSS News. I submitted one of my favorites for that article, but it wasn't included. That was a pit in the mine at Minas Viejas (across from Bustamante in Mexico) that we had been exploring and mapping. Brian Burton (RIP) had his dog with him. All of a sudden the dog raced down the passage and jumped into a hundred-foot-deep pit! Of course it was killed instantly. We couldn't figure out why it did that - maybe in the dim light it thought it was a pool of water. In any event, we named it Dog Gone Pit.

And speaking of roaches, don't forget the Cockroach Siphon at the end of the sewer tunnel that ran from the Oakwood Cemetery where the AMCS (Austin Monument Climbing Society) used to meet, down to Rosewood.

Mark