texascavers Digest 2 May 2012 01:57:11 -0000 Issue 1539

Topics (messages 19905 through 19924):

Re: Diver dies in Hawaiian cave
        19905 by: Louise Power

Re:
        19906 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        19907 by: Nico Escamilla
        19916 by: Louise Power
        19921 by: Nico Escamilla
        19923 by: Louise Power

SWR 50th Anniversary,  dinner prices going up
        19908 by: Stephen Fleming

Caving Wire Ladders?
        19909 by: Lyndon Tiu
        19910 by: Ron R
        19911 by: Me
        19912 by: Natasha Glasgow
        19913 by: Stefan Creaser
        19915 by: germanyj.aol.com
        19917 by: Mark Minton
        19918 by: Stefan Creaser
        19919 by: Fritz Holt
        19920 by: Tim Stich
        19922 by: Bill Walden
        19924 by: Louise Power

Boy Scout Climbing Director needed
        19914 by: Jacqueline Thomas

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Well, not too hot where she was. They took her to the hospital with a broken
leg, hypothermia and boredom. She said, ...while she didn't have food she did
have water, and figured that could keep her going for days. "The thing I was
worried about was hypothermia -- that that was going to kill me," she said.

I have to say, it really gets cold on the high desert at night.

Louise

From: pns_...@bellsouth.net
To: pitboun...@gmail.com; power_lou...@hotmail.com
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Diver dies in Hawaiian cave
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:34:39 -0500

Well did you see the Yahoo news today where a 55 yr old lady hiking solo in
Utah jumped 4 ft and broke a leg. Took 'em 4 days to find her. She was a couple
of miles from her vehicle.

Nico is it hitting 100 deg. F down there, yet?

Preston in Outer Browder, KY

=======================================

From: pitboun...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:27:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [Texascavers]
To: dirt...@comcast.net
CC: pns_...@bellsouth.net; texascavers@texascavers.com; power_lou...@hotmail.com

111? yikes! its been "mild" around here in the 90s but reaching 111 is only a
matter of time.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

Summer should come in a couple more weeks.
It's 111 (F) in Terlingua -----
DirtDoc

Nico is it hitting 100 deg. F down there, yet?
Preston in Outer Browder, KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
we maxed at 118 last summer, or the one before cant remember.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Ah the temperate Northwest...just into the 80s last week and in the
> mid-60s this week. Also, a few showers. I doubt we'll get to 111 this
> year...hopefully.
>
> Louise
>
>  ------------------------------
> From: pitboun...@gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:27:24 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers]
> To: dirt...@comcast.net
> CC: pns_...@bellsouth.net; texascavers@texascavers.com;
> power_lou...@hotmail.com
>

> 111? yikes! its been "mild" around here in the 90s but reaching 111 is
> only a matter of time.
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>  Summer should come in a couple more weeks.
> It's 111 (F) in Terlingua -----
> DirtDoc
>
> Nico is it hitting 100 deg. F down there, yet?
> Preston in Outer Browder, KY

--- End Message ---

From: pitboun...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:27:24 -0500
To: dirt...@comcast.net

CC: pns_...@bellsouth.net; texascavers@texascavers.com; power_lou...@hotmail.com

111? yikes! its been "mild" around here in the 90s but reaching 111 is only a
matter of time.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

Summer should come in a couple more weeks.

It's 111 (F) in Terlingua -----

DirtDoc

Nico is it hitting 100 deg. F down there, yet?
Preston in Outer Browder, KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

This is the last reminder to be posted concerning the SWR 50th anniversary celebration and dinner.

May 26, 2012, SWR 50th anniversary celebration, Fort Stanton Cave

Today, May 1, is the last day to get registered at the bargain rate: a very modest $7 for members, and $17 for non-members (which includes a year of membership in the region so non-members get dinner at the member rate).

If you are mailing in your registration, be sure to have it postmarked not later than May 1. Online registration will be accepted at the reduced rate until 11:59:59 pm Monday.

Everything goes up May 2, when member cost will be $20 and non-members will be $30 (and no year of membership will accompany that).

The time is NOW!

Go here http://www.caves.org/region/swr/50th/register.html to either register online via PayPal, or to download the mail-in form.

Thanks.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
They have been (or should be) outlawed internationally as a cruel and
unusually punishing ascending device.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Lyndon Tiu <l...@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

> Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Lyndon Tiu

Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Two or four strand barbed wire?

They have been (or should be) outlawed internationally as a cruel and
unusually punishing ascending device.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Lyndon Tiu <l...@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Lyndon,

Karstsports.com has them!

Natasha

________________________________
Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Nah, they're  the best thing for pitches upto 30ft!

You can get them in the UK Lyndon, btw.

Cheers, Stefan

<l...@alumni.sfu.ca<mailto:l...@alumni.sfu.ca>> wrote:
Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

For additional commands, e-mail:
texascavers-h...@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers-h...@texascavers.com>

--
Ron Rutherford

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium. Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
 Well put, caving brother! Well, put!

They have been (or should be) outlawed internationally as a cruel and unusually
punishing ascending device.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Lyndon Tiu <l...@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I disagree that ladders are the best way to do even short drops, except in cases where there may be a single short pitch quite remote in a cave. For one thing, to use one safely you should have a belay rope, so why not just climb it instead of also carrying a ladder? IMO also sells cable ladders, but they're very expensive ($150 for 10 m). Why not buy rope instead?

Mark

At 11:39 AM 5/1/2012, Stefan Creaser wrote:
Nah, they're  the best thing for pitches upto 30ft!

You can get them in the UK Lyndon, btw.

Cheers, Stefan

They have been (or should be) outlawed internationally as a cruel and unusually punishing ascending device.
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Lyndon Tiu <l...@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
Can someone recommend where I can get caving wire ladders?

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I've always found it difficult to climb up a pitch with no foot or hand holds
:-)

Cheers, Stefan

         I disagree that ladders are the best way to do even short
drops, except in cases where there may be a single short pitch quite
remote in a cave.  For one thing, to use one safely you should have a
belay rope, so why not just climb it instead of also carrying a
ladder?  IMO also sells cable ladders, but they're very expensive
($150 for 10 m).  Why not buy rope instead?

Mark

At 11:39 AM 5/1/2012, Stefan Creaser wrote:
>Nah, they're  the best thing for pitches upto 30ft!
>
>You can get them in the UK Lyndon, btw.
>
>Cheers, Stefan

medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Old farts like ladders and I are one. I don't need no stinking belay rope, my
life insurance is paid up.

I've always found it difficult to climb up a pitch with no foot or hand holds
:-)

Cheers, Stefan

         I disagree that ladders are the best way to do even short
drops, except in cases where there may be a single short pitch quite
remote in a cave.  For one thing, to use one safely you should have a
belay rope, so why not just climb it instead of also carrying a
ladder?  IMO also sells cable ladders, but they're very expensive
($150 for 10 m).  Why not buy rope instead?

Mark

At 11:39 AM 5/1/2012, Stefan Creaser wrote:
>Nah, they're  the best thing for pitches upto 30ft!
>
>You can get them in the UK Lyndon, btw.
>
>Cheers, Stefan

So why do we race up them at the Speleolympics? Or has that event been
dropped already? Ha ha ha. I would rather free solo the pitch than use a
cable ladder. Blarrrgh.

-Tim

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>wrote:

> Old farts like ladders and I are one. I don't need no stinking belay rope,
> my life insurance is paid up.

--- Begin Message --- I used a cable ladder this afternoon to install a new light inside the pit under the basement of the Wayne County, KY Museum. The pit was once connected to the cave system beneath the city from which the then hotel drew cave air into the building. That didn't last very long. In 1938 the hotel installed real air conditioning. Today that hotel building is the Wayne County Museum.

I have a cave exhibit in that basement room with photos of Wayne County cave and an exhibit of caving equipment used in Wayne county from the 1950s through the present. The pit, which has a rail around it, is always the biggest hit.

Best to all,
Bill Walden
Wayne County, KY

On 5/1/2012 12:44 PM, Mark Minton wrote:
[...]

You know Carlsbad Caverns used to pipe cave air up to the visitor center
through the elevator shafts. Then finally they realized what damage they were
doing to the cave--drying out formations, causing yucky things to grow in the
cave, etc. They finally sealed up the shafts and the cave gradually went back
to fairly normal. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.
Louise

> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 16:34:11 -0400
> From: wdwal...@windstream.net
> To: texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Caving Wire Ladders?
>
> I used a cable ladder this afternoon to install a new light inside the
> pit under the basement of the Wayne County, KY Museum. The pit was once
> connected to the cave system beneath the city from which the then hotel
> drew cave air into the building. That didn't last very long.  In 1938
> the hotel installed real air conditioning. Today that hotel building is
> the Wayne County Museum.
>
> I have a cave exhibit in that basement room with photos of Wayne County
> cave and an exhibit of caving equipment used in Wayne county from the
> 1950s through the present. The pit, which has a rail around it, is
> always the biggest hit.
>
> Best to all,
> Bill Walden
> Wayne County, KY
>

> On 5/1/2012 12:44 PM, Mark Minton wrote:
> >         I disagree that ladders are the best way to do even short
> > drops, except in cases where there may be a single short pitch quite
> > remote in a cave.  For one thing, to use one safely you should have a
> > belay rope, so why not just climb it instead of also carrying a
> > ladder?  IMO also sells cable ladders, but they're very expensive
> > ($150 for 10 m).  Why not buy rope instead?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > At 11:39 AM 5/1/2012, Stefan Creaser wrote:
> >> Nah, they're  the best thing for pitches upto 30ft!
> >>
> >> You can get them in the UK Lyndon, btw.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Stefan

All,
Concho Valley Council needs a Climbing Director for Camp Sol Mayer 2012 Summer
Camp. Staff week for the camp starts June 2nd and the next 3 weeks are 3 camp
sessions, Sunday afternoon through Saturday morning.

If you are interested but not certified for BSA Climbing, the Council will send
you to the National Camp School in Athens, TX (May 19 for the week).

Room and board and some salary but I'm not sure what that will be.

If you're interested or need more information, contact me and I'll get you
connected with the right people.

Jacqui Thomas

--- End Message ---