texascavers Digest 4 May 2012 17:18:36 -0000 Issue 1541

Topics (messages 19936 through 19950):

Re: Rope suggestions
        19936 by: Fofo
        19937 by: Stefan Creaser
        19940 by: Mark Minton

Re: Topo Map Sale
        19938 by: Louise Power

Re: Bill Stone article by Mike Taylor in Wired
        19939 by: Louise Power

Re: Cascade Caverns, Boerne, TX
        19941 by: Kurt L. Menking
        19942 by: Mark Minton
        19943 by: Preston Forsythe
        19944 by: Lyndon Tiu
        19945 by: Frank Binney

Stalagmites Used to Study Pleistocene Climate
        19946 by: Mark Minton

Re: Jim in Mississippi
        19947 by: Louise Power

topo maps
        19948 by: Mixon Bill
        19949 by: Mark Minton

Re: End of an era
        19950 by: Mike Flannigan

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Mal!

Well... for a practice rope I would prefer an 11 mm one, because they usually take a lot of abuse (by someone new "scratching" the sheath by not opening completely the cam when downclimbing, etc), and it could be a shorter one, like 50 ft, since it's going to be used indoors. Probably something around 100 ft would be good too.

For caving, I prefer 9 mm, since it's lighter. 100 ft would probably be the shortest length. 200 or 300 ft would be handy also. It also depends on where you are going to use it!

If you only want one, well, 100 ft of 11 mm would work for the practice and for shorter drops inside a cave.

Take care,

- Fofo

On 03/05/12 11:54, Mallory Mayeux wrote:
I'm looking into buying my first rope. (Mostly to be used in my
apartment, for our informal rope practice nights, conducted using a
ladder stolen from my apartment complex, and the wall of my upstairs
loft.) Anyway, I'd like to get something that will be useful for caves
as well.
So...suggestions, please! Is 50 foot rope too short for most pits? Or is
it useful?  What brand/thickness would y'all recommend?
Thanks in advance for what I'm sure is going to be an interesting
discussion. :)
Mallory

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Yeah, that's what i'd do. 11mm is good, general purpose, rope. If you *must*
use it in a cave then use it at the first pitches so you don't have to carry it
far :-)

Stefan
Well... for a practice rope I would prefer an 11 mm one, because they
usually take a lot of abuse (by someone new "scratching" the sheath by
not opening completely the cam when downclimbing, etc), and it could be
a shorter one, like 50 ft, since it's going to be used indoors. Probably
something around 100 ft would be good too.

For caving, I prefer 9 mm, since it's lighter. 100 ft would probably be
the shortest length. 200 or 300 ft would be handy also. It also depends
on where you are going to use it!

If you only want one, well, 100 ft of 11 mm would work for the practice
and for shorter drops inside a cave.

Take care,

- Fofo

On 03/05/12 11:54, Mallory Mayeux wrote:
> I'm looking into buying my first rope. (Mostly to be used in my
> apartment, for our informal rope practice nights, conducted using a
> ladder stolen from my apartment complex, and the wall of my upstairs
> loft.) Anyway, I'd like to get something that will be useful for caves
> as well.
> So...suggestions, please! Is 50 foot rope too short for most pits? Or is
> it useful?  What brand/thickness would y'all recommend?
> Thanks in advance for what I'm sure is going to be an interesting
> discussion. :)
> Mallory

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- 11-mm rope is heavier than a lot of people like to use these days. 9 mm is nice for expedition work, but has to be carefully rigged because of its lower abrasion resistance. I'd split the difference and go for 10 mm. It'll last plenty long and isn't as stiff or heavy as 11 mm, especially after it gets dirty. I wouldn't get less than 100 feet or you'll be quite limited where you can use it, and ropes tend to get shorter over time as they get cut for various reasons.. An advantage of 200 or 300 feet is that you can set up a pulley and practice climbing longer distances. 200 feet is probably a good compromise length. If your rope is too long you won't want to take it anywhere because it is too bulky and heavy. So, I recommend 200 feet of 10 mm. Happy climbing!

Mark

At 03:21 PM 5/3/2012, Stefan Creaser wrote:
Yeah, that's what i'd do. 11mm is good, general purpose, rope. If you *must* use it in a cave then use it at the first pitches so you don't have to carry it far :-)

Stefan
Well... for a practice rope I would prefer an 11 mm one, because they
usually take a lot of abuse (by someone new "scratching" the sheath by
not opening completely the cam when downclimbing, etc), and it could be
a shorter one, like 50 ft, since it's going to be used indoors. Probably
something around 100 ft would be good too.

For caving, I prefer 9 mm, since it's lighter. 100 ft would probably be
the shortest length. 200 or 300 ft would be handy also. It also depends
on where you are going to use it!

If you only want one, well, 100 ft of 11 mm would work for the practice
and for shorter drops inside a cave.

Take care,

- Fofo

On 03/05/12 11:54, Mallory Mayeux wrote:
> I'm looking into buying my first rope. (Mostly to be used in my
> apartment, for our informal rope practice nights, conducted using a
> ladder stolen from my apartment complex, and the wall of my upstairs
> loft.) Anyway, I'd like to get something that will be useful for caves
> as well.
> So...suggestions, please! Is 50 foot rope too short for most pits? Or is
> it useful?  What brand/thickness would y'all recommend?
> Thanks in advance for what I'm sure is going to be an interesting
> discussion. :)
> Mallory

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'd also like to recommend that you spend a little extra and have them mounted
on linen. It makes them durable and packable; you can roll them or fold them. I
carried district maps around like that for years until the ink began to rub off
where we pointed at certain spots on the map too much. It may be a little
pricey, but it will pay off in the long run for those you'll be using a lot.

Louise

> Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 22:50:41 -0400
> To: texascavers@texascavers.com; s...@caver.net
> From: mmin...@caver.net
> Subject: [Texascavers] Topo Map Sale
>
> If you want paper topo maps, the USGS is apparently having a
> closeout sale for $1
> each!
> <http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/start/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd%29/.do>
> . My guess is that paper maps are being eliminated, so this may be
> one of your last chances to get one. All USGS topo maps are also
> available on line for free. Texas is available at
> <http://www.tnris.org/get-data> and NM from
> <http://sar.lanl.gov/topo_maps/> in addition to from the USGS
> directly. You can also get a Google Earth plug-in for the entire U.
> S. at http://www.gearthblog.com/kmfiles/topomaps.kmz>; get the file
> called topomaps.kmz.
>
> Mark
>
> Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
> Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Anyone catch these videos on www.ted.org ? See
http://www.ted.com/search?q=Bill+Stone

They're amazing and fun. Ted.org itself is amazing and fun.

Louise

From: cavera...@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 13:07:52 -0500
To: texascavers@texascavers.com; greater_houston_gro...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Bill Stone article by Mike Taylor in Wired

News
1 new result for "Michael Ray Taylor"

Q&A: Explorer and Robotics Engineer on Historic SpaceX Flight
Wired News
By Michael Ray Taylor This is the second in a series of Wired Q&As with
spaceflight experts leading up to SpaceX's launch. Read the first installment.

Tip: Use a minus sign (-) in front of terms in your query that you want to
exclude. Learn more.

Delete this alert.
Create another alert.
Manage your alerts.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Looks like Cascade Caverns is for sale.  Or at least the last 40 years of the
99 year lease is for sale.

[http://www.loopnet.com/premiumemail/header_propalert_gray2.jpg]

Property Match: my multi-family search
in Boerne, TX

[http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/6/2/A/xy_62AEDC22-7354-4D40-91AB-F34183A65F4B_420_315.jpg]<http://www.loopnet.com/EmailLink/PropertyProfile?LID=17624282&linkcode=15540&StepID=104&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>

[http://www.loopnet.com/emailimages/view_listing.gif]<http://www.loopnet.com/EmailLink/PropertyProfile?LID=17624282&linkcode=15540&StepID=104&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>
View
Listing<http://www.loopnet.com/EmailLink/PropertyProfile?LID=17624282&linkcode=15540&StepID=104&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>

Cascade Caverns
$1,000,000 * 19,000 SF * 135 Spaces

This property in Boerne, TX  matches your my multi-family search search on
LoopNet and was sent to you by LB Kyle of Knightmark Group. Contact Listing
Broker<http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/EmailBroker.aspx?LID=17624282&LinkCode=10320&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>

See all properties that match your my multi-family
search<http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/SavedSearches/MySavedSearches_FS.aspx?utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>
 search on LoopNet.

Update your New Listing Email Alert
If your commercial property needs have changed, you can update your search
parameters or turn off your email alerts altogether on your Email Alerts
preferences<http://www.loopnet.com/EmailLink/SavedSearchesFS?linkcode=15570&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>
 page.

Thank you for choosing LoopNet.

Get in the Loop with LoopNet!
#1 in Commercial Real Estate Online

[http://www.loopnet.com/premiumemail/ln_logo.gif]<http://www.loopnet.com/?linkcode=15580&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>

[http://www.loopnet.com/premiumemail/emailbottomgray.gif]

This LoopNet email alert was sent to re...@bcad.org<mailto:re...@bcad.org>
based on your email alert preferences on
www.LoopNet.com<http://www.loopnet.com/?utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>.
 You can change or
unsubscribe<http://www.loopnet.com/EmailLink/SavedSearchesFS?linkcode=&utm_source=loopnet&utm_medium=emailsite&utm_campaign=prospectlist&sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>
 from your email alert preferences at any time. If you need additional help,
please contact our Client Services department by calling (800) 601-8803.
LoopNet sends system messages to re...@bcad.org<mailto:re...@bcad.org> based on
your member preferences, requests or listings activity on
www.LoopNet.com<http://www.loopnet.com?sourcecode=1aetdt0004a00086>. Members
cannot opt-out of these system messages but can change their LoopNet member
preferences, requests or listings via the member's My LoopNet options. If you
need additional help, please contact our Client Services department by calling
(888) 567-7442.

LoopNet, Inc. 185 Berry Street, Suite 4000, San Francisco, CA 94107

reference code: 5.4PL-A581542051

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Didn't cavers recently put in a lot of volunteer time helping fix that place up? Bummer that it might now be out of reach. :-(

Mark

At 08:11 AM 5/4/2012, Kurt L. Menking wrote:
Looks like Cascade Caverns is for sale. Or at least the last 40 years of the 99 year lease is for sale.

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Can the TSA, TSS or some other well endowed caver organization down there buy
it?

Maybe members or descendants of the old 1307 1/2 Kirkwood gang can buy it, then
let cavers stay there for $1/night and cave for free?

Preston in Outer Browder, KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
For a million dollars!

--
Lyndon Tiu
On May 4, 2012 9:40 AM, "Preston Forsythe" <pns_...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> **
> Can the TSA, TSS or some other well endowed caver organization down there
> buy it?
>
> Maybe members or descendants of the old 1307 1/2 Kirkwood gang can buy it,
> then let cavers stay there for $1/night and cave for free?
>

> Preston in Outer Browder, KY************

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> "Preston Forsythe" wrote:
>
> Maybe members or descendants of the old 1307 1/2 Kirkwood gang can buy it,
> then let cavers stay there for $1/night and cave for free?

Hey Preston‹if only those of us in the core of the Kirkwood Kavers hadn¹t
squandered our prime earning years as hippie cavers‹we might of ended up
with enough spare $$$ to purchase the Caverns. However, maybe some of the
next generation of cavers are better positioned financially to take
advantage of this great opportunity. I would recommend they ask Pete
Strickland to develop a pricing chart for cavers staying at the Caverns
similar to the one we had at 1307 1/2 Kirkwood: $1/night for sleeping on the
filthy living room carpet next to the bong-covered spool top table, $2/night
for the attic crawlspace, $3/night for one of the sleeping platforms in the
stairwell, $0/night if you were fortunate enough to be invited to share the
mattress on the floor in one of the bedrooms with one of the resident
Kirkwood Kavers. Good times!
Frank (original leasee of 1307 1/2 Kirkwood)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Oxygen isotope ratios in stalagmites from Borneo have been used to compare the effects of past climate changes on high latitudes and the tropics.
  <http://media.caltech.edu/press_releases/13509>

Mark

Date:   Fri, 04 May 2012 06:51:43 -0500
From:   Mike Flannigan <mikef...@att.net>
To:     Cavetex <Texascavers@texascavers.com>

That Naturalists Newsletter is a very good publication.
You can visit the website and still view it.  I have
already written a program that is going to run every
week and strip the newsletter off the website and
e-mail it to me.  If you want to be on that e-mail
list, let me know.

Jim may be publishing a notice about this e-mailing
program I created in the next newsletter he puts out.

Mike Flannigan

On 4/29/2012 5:32 PM, texascavers-digest-h...@texascavers.com wrote:
Subject:
End of an era
From:
Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>
Date:
4/29/2012 11:38 AM

To:
Texas Cavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
CC:
Jim Conrad <j...@backyardnature.net>

It is with great sadness I call to your attention the end of an era. Today marks the last time you will have Jim Conrad's marvelous /Naturalists Newsletter/ delivered to your e-mail box. In his own words:

/NO MORE EMAILED NEWSLETTERS
Last weekend, Earth Day, issuing this Newsletter by email once again caused my server, FatCow.com, to remove my whole BackyardNature.net website from the Internet. They said the Newsletters had been identified as spam. FatCow has told me that henceforward if I issue more than 20-30 emails per hour they'll take down my site. However, they are giving me permission to make this one-time last mailing. Though I shall continue writing Newsletters and placing them in my online archives, future Newsletters will not be emailed.

> From now on to read the Newsletters you'll just have to remember to check out the most recently issued edition at

http://www.backyardnature.net/n//
I don't know how may of you are Facebook users, but I am not. Why? For the very
reason that they do not respect people's privacy and disseminate their
information to a variety of other sites. I realize that any time you go online,
you take that risk, but I will make it as hard as I can for them to get mine by
being a non-participant in their little ploy to make $$$. I am not sure if
complaining to FatCow.com would do any good, but I for one intend to give it a
try.
Sadly Crying face ,
Louise

--- End Message ---