Dear Friends,

We are excited and happy to announce that the website is up and the call for
abstracts has begun for the 13th Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes
and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst! More commonly called
"The Sinkhole Conference," since 1984 this excellent series of meetings has
been pivotal in bringing together engineers, geologists, geophysicists, and
regulators to exchange ideas and enhance everyone's understanding of the
challenges of living in karst areas.

The National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) is honored to have
been given management of this conference series, and it still operated by
the Organizing Committee made up of people who have hosted this conference
for years, including representatives of sponsoring organizations like P.E.
LaMoreaux and Associates, U.S. Geological Survey, Illinois State Geological
Survey, Barton Springs/Edwards Aquifer Conservation District, and many
others. If your organization is interested in being a sponsor or exhibitor,
please contact us.

The conference will be held in Carlsbad, New Mexico, at NCKRI Headquarters,
on 6-10 May 2013. This is the most westerly venue for the conference to
date, and an excellent opportunity for the field trip and sessions to focus
on evaporite karst and karst management in arid environments, as well as the
wide range of other topics.

You can access the website through the NCKRI website's "Events" tab at
www.nckri.org or directly at
http://sites.google.com/site/sinkholeconference2013/. To submit an abstract,
click on "Call for Abstracts" in the upper right side of the home page. The
abstract deadline is August 15th!

Over the next month or so we'll add much more information to the website and
begin registration. We'll send another message at that time. Please share
these messages with any you think may be interested.

If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know.

See you in Carlsbad in one year!

George Veni and Jim LaMoreaux

Co-chairman, 13th Sinkhole Conference

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919