texascavers Digest 28 Nov 2011 15:32:27 -0000 Issue 1441

Topics (messages 19092 through 19100):

Laos
        19092 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

Re: New park land purchase will bridge Hamilton Pool, Reimers Ranch Park :
        19093 by: Gill Edigar

Goodenough Spring cave diving article in Dec TPWD magazine
        19094 by: Logan McNatt

Goodenough Springs
        19095 by: Carl Kunath

Re: [NSSwest] "Wikipedia poised to list coordinates for U.S. cave articles"
        19096 by: Matt Bowers

NBC News Item about Young WNS Researcher
        19097 by: R D Milhollin
        19099 by: Julia Germany

More on Devetashka Cave bats - reduced 75% by filming
        19098 by: Lee H. Skinner

calling all sketchers
        19100 by: Jim Kennedy

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Dirt Doc: I'm right behind you, Ann Harman and I are leaving for Laos next
Thursday. We will be visiting some of the same areas, but for a longer
period of  time and going deeper (into the karst that is, not the caves, you
and
the  Frenchies can have the caves!) We will also be exploring further north
along the  Nam Ou. This time I hope to avoid problems with the authorities
by not saying a  word to anyone. Last time I was in southern Laos they sent
the local militia  after me!

After a month in Laos we will fly to southern Thailand for some R&R  then
work our way north along the Tenasserim range for another month. Plenty of
caves there too!

I would have posted this on cavechat but the bullshit security rules
wouldn't allow me to log on.

Sleazeweazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The story writer made the classic mistake of spelling the family name
Reimer; it is correctly spelled Reimers--in the singular and is not
possessive.
--Ediger

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Jerry <jerryat...@aol.com> wrote:

> *New park land purchase will bridge Hamilton Pool, Reimers Ranch Park *
>
> by SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News
> Posted on November 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM
> Updated yesterday at 11:31 AM
> ******
>    AUSTIN -- A $20 million transaction approved by Travis County
> Commissioners to buy private land between Milton Reimers Park and Hamilton
> Pool will bridge the gap between the two natural hot spots located about 40
> minutes west of Austin.
> “You almost don't feel like you're in Texas because there's so many leaves
> turning this time of year and the weather right now is perfect,” said John
> Pugh, a Lake McQueeney resident who brought his family to Reimers Ranch
> Park on Wednesday.
>
> An 800-acre tract belonging to the Reimer [sic] family will eventually
> bridge Reimers Ranch Park to Hamilton Pool, creating a 3,500 acre park with
> contiguous natural space.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Austin-based caver Rae Nadler-Olenick has written another interesting article for the Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine. The article in the Dec 2011 issue is titled "Deep, Dark and Dangerous" and describes the exploration of Goodenough Spring, the 3rd largest spring in Texas with a discharge of 100 to 200 cubic ft per second. The entrance was inundated by Lake Amistad (on the Rio Grande in Val Verde County near Del Rio, southwest Texas) in 1968 and is 165 ft below the surface of the water. In the early to mid- 1990s, Dallas based diver R.D. Milhollin, with Ise Kalsi, Terry Scoggins, and Robert Laird were the first to successfully overcome the very formidable challenges of entering the cave and mapping it to a gravel-filled passage at -200 ft. Exploration resumed in 2000 by the Houston-based Goodenough Springs Exploration Project, whose divers received the NSS Cave Diving Section's Exploration Award in 2009 for making the deepest cave dive in the U.S. They reached -515 ft, and IT GOES. The article includes lots of photos, and a list of "Five rules for cave diving", and "Four stages of cave diving certification".

The same issue has a photo essay on the drought and recent wildfires in Texas. TPWD magazine sells for $3.95 at stores; an annual subscription is only $12 for 10 issues (reduced from 12 issues because of budget cutbacks).

Logan
TPWD Archeology Survey Team, Austin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You can also read about Goodenough Springs and see a few pictures on pages
300-301 in 50 Years of Texas Caving.

===Carl Kunath

[...]

Cavers  - This thread was initially posted by Matt Skeels of the Oregon High
Desert Grotto.

http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=1
<http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13155> &t=13155

  _____