From: Benjamin Schwartz <b...@txstate.edu>
To: texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 9, 2012 12:17 pm
Subject: [Texascavers] CWAN Trip Report - January 28, 2012

January 28, 2012

Cave Without A Name, Kinney County,        TX

Crew: Benjamin      Hutchins, Benjamin Tobin, Benjamin Schwartz (Ben3)

Report by:      Benjamin Schwartz

After a slow start leaving San Marcos on      Saturday morning, the three of
  us piled into my truck and headed out to the cave. On the way we      had to
stop      twice - once for breakfast tacos and another time for batteries
(both critical caving      supplies), but we made it to the cave before 10:00
am. Checking in      with Mike      Burrell, he reported that the water at our
gauging weir was up a      mere 0.08 feet      after all the heavy rain in the
region earlier in the previous      week. The area      around CWAN only got
about 1.5 inches, and the stream level hardly      budged,      while other
areas nearby got several times that amount and      experienced more
serious flooding.

The plan for the day was to go to the Waterfall      Room at the current
upstream end of the cave and continue pushing a virgin upper level      stream
crawl      that Brett Gerard, Ben Hutchins and I had turned around in on the
  previous trip      to this part of the cave. During the previous two years, a
group      of us have      systematically resurveyed the known cave in order to
create a high      quality map      and (we hoped) find additional cave
passage. Sometime last fall,      the last      previously enjoyed passage was
surveyed and we were able to start      pushing and      surveying some of the
many virgin leads that remained. Admittedly,      a number of      them are not
very attractive when compared with the main stream      passage, but      there
is good airflow moving through parts of the cave and I am      convinced that
   there is potential for a significant amount of additional passage      to be
found.

Our goal for the day was 260 m, which was the      amount      required to move
CWAN up a notch in the TX long cave list. Quickly      changing      into our
wetsuits and gearing up, we managed to leave the parking      lot and enter
 the cave before scaring off too many tourists. We told Mike to      expect us
by      midnight and headed upstream around 10:40. A little while later,
we looked at      each other and realized that none of us had a watch with us.
This      was strangely      reminiscent of the last trip into the cave! I
sloshed and jogged      back to the      surface, got my watch, and rejoined
the others at 11:00 – finally      we could      really move!

The trip upstream took around two hours as we      swam, crawled,      waded,
and salamandered through the ~2.5 km of stream passage      between the Tour
  Route and the Waterfall Room. On the way, we speculated about what      some
of the      virgin side leads might do, and if we would get a chance to survey
    them on this      trip. The two very low air space leads were still very
low, but      still blow, and      none of the ‘sumps’ (low air sections,
really) along the main      route were any      lower than normal – including
the third one which, in the main      passage, is the      lowest and longest
by far.

At the Waterfall Room, we climbed into the      upper part of it,
traversed into the upper level passage leading out of it, and      paused for a
     quick taco break and to push a potential breakdown lead. The lead
didn’t look      very good, but I did find another point to access the stream
(with      no passable      leads) which feeds the waterfall entering the
middle part of the      room, as well as      a possible lead that seemed to be
have potential for rejoining the      same water      farther upstream. But
more on that later…

Our first lead for the day was another smaller      stream in      this upper
level section. Both this and the larger ‘waterfall      stream’ are
flowing to the southwest and into the room, which is in the      opposite flow
direction      when compared with the main stream below it. The streams are
also      perched on      top of a green marly layer ~1.5m thick. The Waterfall
Room appears      to have      developed at a point where water has punched
down through this      layer,      intersected the main stream level, and
caused a large zone of      collapse which is      slowly being dissolved away
to create the room. Another      interesting aspect of      the room is that it
is the largest known room/passage in the wild      cave and is      comparable
in size to the large parts of the tour route, but with      multiple
levels and more complexity.

Moving toward our objective, we traversed a      section of      complex dry
breakdown passage before dropping through breakdown      and into a low,
dry, stream bed ~ .75m high and 2m wide. Following this upstream,      the
passage      gradually became lower as we passed tiny holes in the floor where
    trickles of      water are pirated away to some lower level during higher
flow      conditions. We      soon reached an active piracy hole and the cave
turned from sticky      muddy to      wonderfully wet and sloppy. Just past
this, we arrived at the end      of the previous      survey and quickly
started doing what we came for; survey. Ben      Tobin sketched,      Ben
Hutchins did frontsights, and I got to do lead tape and      backsights for the
     first time in nearly forever! But glory was not to be mine…

The passage slowly became even lower, the water      became      deeper, then
shallower, and the bedrock floor and ceiling got      closer together      and
razor sharp and snaggy. Between snaggy sections, we plowed      through mud
slurry      in low passage. Watching mud roll past your ears is always
somewhat amusing      when you consider what most people do on the weekend.
Near the      end, the cave      completely shredded my shirt and somehow
unzipped my wetsuit. I      didn’t realize      it until I noticed that rocks
stabbing me in the back seemed      unusually sharp.      Thanks to Hutchins
for helping me zip up again in the crawl. We      pushed the      passage to a
bitter ‘end’ where it does continue, but only 15 to      20 cm high      (with
lots of snaggy rock protruding into that space) and 2 m wide      for as far
  as I could see – about 6-8m . Although there was a slight hint of      air
moving      upstream, it is not a priority dig lead by any stretch of the
imagination. The      passage also contains many small fragments of fossilized
and      well-tumbled bone      and turtle shell. We named this passage the
Bitter Ben.

With this lead finished, we thrashed our way      back downstream      to the
other potential lead I had seen. The passage started off      low in large
breakdown, and soon popped into what looked like some very nice      walking
  passage. It was, but only for a few steps. The passage is coated      in
loose      fluffy and super sticky mud; the kind of mud that peels up in 10
 pound chunks      when you put your hand down and pick it up again. Just
imagine      what happens to      your feet. Unfortunately, the nice passage
immediately degenerated      into a small      crawl coated with the same mud.
Being lead tape, I pushed into it      and thought I      could see the end at
a chunk of breakdown a couple short shots      away. When I got      to the end
though, I could squeeze up onto the block and peer      through a low      slot
into darkness beyond. Energized, I spent quite a while      digging, breaking,
    and moving chunks of rotten muddy breakdown in a very tight tube.      I
finally      opened the squeeze and pushed ahead and into the blackness. It
 turned out to be      a low and wide room about 4 x 9m and less than 1 m high,
with one      short dead-end      side passage off of it. I did a solo survey
in the room so Ben and      Ben didn’t      have to suffer through the crawl.
We called this section the      Capricorn Party      Passage in honor of a
caver party happening above-ground (the      horror!).

With this lead finished, we declared the upper      levels in the
Waterfall Room complete, removed the handline and headed down to      the
waterfall      for a 30 minute shower to clean ourselves and our gear. The
~120m      of survey had      taken us about 5 hours of very hard and muddy
work. Clean again,      we decided to      head back down to the stream and
survey a virgin walking canyon      passage that      heads out across the top
of the 3m waterfall in the main stream –      this is      downstream from the
Waterfall Room by a few hundred meters. This      lead looked      really nice
and had the appearance of a paleo stream route.      Currently the      stream
drops down the 3m waterfall and flows through what is now      the third
‘sump’. We surveyed quickly and efficiently along a 2m high x      1-1.5m wide
dry and      meandering canyon. After about 80 m, the passage abruptly ended in
     a blank wall      at a cross joint and the only apparent way on is a 2 cm
diameter      hole down low      in one end of the joint. After plotting the
data up, this passage      has gone off      into blank space to the east of
the main stream, so it is too bad      it didn’t      continue.

Still short of our goal for the day, we moved      back upstream      to a
comfortable dry crawl lead on the NW side of the main stream      canyon. This
    passage stayed roughly the same for ~60 m before looping back to      the
main      stream and connecting with another known lead. Ben Tobin
calculated that we      were only a few meters short of our goal at this point,
and we      decided to      finish up the day by tying in a hanging shot in a
side lead much      farther downstream.      In short order we arrived, did the
two survey shots required, and      called it a      day with right around 260
m of virgin cave survey in the book.

We got out of the cave by 11:30 and enjoyed a TX        version of winter
 weather; clear, crisp, starry, and just cold enough to make a        stinky
wetsuit        steam. What a wonderful way to end a wonderful trip with great
     friends. It was        not until the next day that Ben Tobin entered the
data and        reported that we        were only a few meters short of passing
Longhorn Caverns.        Arghhhh!!! We’ll pass        it next time, for sure!

Benjamin Schwartz
    Assistant Professor
    Department of Biology
    Texas State University - San Marcos