The Boy Scouts of Troop 366 from Denton worked ~3 hours on removing invasive
cedar in an area between the Spicewood Springs Trail parking lot and the next
parking lot going back towards the CBSP office.

After lunch, they were then lead by Mark Alman to Dynamite Cave, (which Kevin
Ferguson, CBSP’s Acting and, hopefully, next Superintendent, was gracious
enough to show yours truly how to get there) for a fun bit of exploration.

I had the Scouts flag the heck out of the trail to the cave, so we’d be able to
find it next month when ~60 Girl Scouts and a Boy Scout Troop from Brownwood
will descend on the park the weekend of January 14th.

Note: I will need volunteers for this, so if you’re interested, contact me
offline at texascav...@yahoo.com.

We discovered the bones from some small varmint and placed the bones on a
makeshift altar formed from a dry stalagmite for all of the world to admire and
enjoy. We then left Dynamite Cave and made our way to Turtle Shell Cave.

No varmints were observed, but, the Scouts again flagged the trail so well to
the cave that I believe Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller would be able to find
it! They also reflagged the area inside the cave that contains bones and some
delicate formations on the floor. This was done to insure no one would cross
this area and destroy the flowstone.

We contemplated dropping the pit in Turtle Shell, but, water was flowing very
well into this area and we opted not to. (Note: No bats observed, but, this is
the wettest I have ever seen this cave!).

Around 4 PM, we parted ways, as the Scouts were wanting to hike to Gorman Falls
and I had to make a beeline back to Dallas for the DFW Grotto Holiday
Extravaganza at Natasha Glasgow’s house!

Thanks!

Mark