A second, revised edition of White and Culver's Encyclopedia of Caves has just come out. Impressive that there's a second edition of such a specialized book after less than ten years. Must have sold well.

Here's a _reallllllly_ strange rundown of some prices for it I find on the web:

Academic Press's own web site: $104 "tentative, subject to change"
Amazon real book $104
Amazon Kindle $93.60
Barnes and Noble real book $117.49
Barnes and Noble Nook $130

It's hard enough to see how Amazon can justify that close to the real- book price for a Kindle book, but look at the Nook price. (I hope you don't own stock in Barnes and Noble.) Apparently e-books are becoming popular, but with the prices people ask for renting you the privilege of reading them in limited ways, I can't understand why. The publishers ought to just sell a version in a generic e-book format that's good for all computers and readers from their own web sites, cutting out the likes of Amazon and B&N. Academic Press could sell that e-book themselves for $40 and make as much or more toward their overhead, royalties, and editorial expenses as they do selling the real book through bookstores for $104. -- Mixon
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org