Blair update 7/1/2011

We are back in Denver, but we visited Blair and Jean in Marathon on the way
north from Terlingua.   Blair displays the symptoms that you would associate
with a severe stroke.   As he bounced around inside his truck during the
accident, his brain rattled around inside his skull. Random internal injuries
were done to his brain.   In addition, internal bleeding compounded the
insults.

His awareness and memories come and go, sometimes quite quickly.    He will
seem disconnected one moment, and then he will be quite aware the next.   He
has lost weight and looks pretty good.

He is on oxygen and uses a wheel chair and a walker for assistance, as his
balance will unexpectedly fail him.     His C-2 is badly shattered (not just
fractured) and will probably never completely heal. There remains real concern
of an additional injury if he falls.

Blair's progress is slow, but he steadily improves. Jean has acquired good
skilled support and reports that he has successfully shaved himself since we
saw him and continues to take better control of his actions.   Additionally,
his memories are gradually returning.   Visits from old friends assist him in
doing that, so I urge anyone in the vicinity to stop and spend a few hours with
him.   Bring some old photos or other memorabilia to leave with him.

Contact Jean in advance -

Jean Hardy-Pittman: j...@fsbooks.com

You can call her through the store in Alpine:

Alpine Store (Front Street Books) 432-837-3360

Dwight