texascavers Digest 7 Jul 2011 17:37:52 -0000 Issue 1348

Topics (messages 18177 through 18186):

Re: 3D PRINTER
        18177 by: Fritz Holt
        18179 by: Rod Goke

Re: [ot_caving] FW: 3D PRINTER
        18178 by: Louise Power

Hauling system and stretcher handling class tonight (Tuesday), July 5 at 6 pm
        18180 by: Geary Schindel
        18182 by: Gill Edigar
        18183 by: Geary Schindel

UT Grotto Meeting Wednesday July 6
        18181 by: Gary Franklin

Photo Prints
        18184 by: Association for Mexican Cave Studies

Deep Cave Survey Open Slot
        18185 by: Don Arburn

Lawsuit Filed to Help Stop Spread of Bat-killing Disease to Colorado, West
        18186 by: Lee H. Skinner

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
This is not cave related but is so amazing that I wanted everyone to see it.
Science geeks will be especially interested.

Fritz

________________________________
Subject:  3D PRINTER

watch this...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Fritz,

What do you mean it's not cave related? It looks to me like this could be the future of cave mapping. Instead of sketching cave passages by hand while surveying with tape and compass, we will scan cave passages using portable 3D scanners and will use computers to generate extremely accurate and detailed 3D models of caves. Then we will be able to either "print" these 3D models on a 3D printer or else display them interactively on a 3D computer screen, where we will be able to take virtual reality tours through a cave. It will literally add a new dimension to the experience of "armchair caving" and will allow "old timers" to continue caving in virtual reality, even after they are no longer physically able to do so in actual reality.

Rod

This is not cave related but is so amazing that I wanted everyone to see it. Science geeks will be especially interested.

Fritz

________________________________

watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Fritz, et al:

I haven't been able to look at this here at the office (social website and
all), but I did watch something similar on TED last nite about printing human
organs. If you've not had a chance to look at or never heard of www.ted.com,
take a look at it. It's marvelous--talks on almost every conceivable topic, up
to and including Bill Stone's plan to mine lunar ice.

I got hooked on it a few months ago and check it out at least once a week. Here
be the link for the printer talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html

If you want to see Bill's talk (including some great underwater cave slides),
see

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

WARNING: If you have a curious mind, you will get hooked.

Louise

From: fh...@townandcountryins.com
To: o...@texascavers.com; Texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:54:21 -0500
Subject: [ot_caving] FW: 3D PRINTER

This is not cave related but is so amazing that I wanted everyone to see it.
Science geeks will be especially interested.

Fritz

watch this…   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

There is still some room for the hauling system and stretcher handling class
tonight at 6 pm at Bluff Creek Tower, 4201 Medical Drive, San Antonio, Texas
(in the back by the picnic table tonight!)  This is being taught by Ms Vicky
Smith, an instructor at the UTHSC who teaches technical rescue Classes.  Price
is free.

Here is an equipment list of materials to bring if you have them.

Rappel/climbing seat, helmet, gloves for personal wear and any pulleys and/or
carabiners, prusik cord and webbing for various haul scenarios.

There will be no vertical work but really more a ground school setting up haul
systems on a hill side as well as stretcher handling.  This is going to be a
great training and you'll learn some really important skills.

Remember it will be hot so bring something to drink along with sturdy shoes,
hat, etc.

Please let me know if you will be attending.  I know we have one person coming
down from Austin.

Thanks,

Geary Schindel
210-326-1576 cell

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'd guess it wouldn't be too hard to have that class in Auxtin some evening,
as well, would it Geary? Many people would benefit from it.
--Ediger

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Geary Schindel <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org
> wrote:

> Folks,****
>
> ** **
>
> There is still some room for the hauling system and stretcher handling
> class tonight at 6 pm at Bluff Creek Tower, 4201 Medical Drive, San Antonio,
> Texas (in the back by the picnic table tonight!)  This is being taught by Ms
> Vicky Smith, an instructor at the UTHSC who teaches technical rescue
> Classes.  Price is free.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Here is an equipment list of materials to bring if you have them.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Rappel/climbing seat, helmet, gloves for personal wear and any pulleys
> and/or carabiners, prusik cord and webbing for various haul scenarios.  **
> **
>
> ** **
>
> There will be no vertical work but really more a ground school setting up
> haul systems on a hill side as well as stretcher handling.  This is going to
> be a great training and you’ll learn some really important skills.****
>
> ** **
>
> Remember it will be hot so bring something to drink along with sturdy
> shoes, hat, etc.****
>
> ** **
>
> Please let me know if you will be attending.  I know we have one person
> coming down from Austin.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> ** **
>
> Geary Schindel****
>
> 210-326-1576 cell****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Gil,

We had a nice group last night of 12 to 15 folks (some had to leave early).  A
good mix of cavers, BSA Venture Crew folks, and even the BSA Climbing Director
for the Alamo Council.  The instructors, Ms. Vicky Smith and Mr. Ben Marberry
did a wonderful job as usual.  Vicky teaches for the UTSHC and Ben teaches for
the S.A. Fire Academy.  They are both very talented, gifted, and patient
instructors and we are so fortunate to have them in the community.  We covered
packaging using a litter and basic haul system construction and design.  The
presentations were outside under some nice trees, which also made for good
anchors.  This was pretty much ground school which allowed the practice of
packaging and hauling concepts , building of anchors, and haul system operation
without having to deal with edge safety.  There was a little bit of a slope at
the site which helped with some of the demonstrations.

There were short tests at the beginning and end of the class with good
discussions.

I would suspect that Vicky and Ben would travel to Austin for a similar class
or offer a full day in the fall when people have more time to drive further.
Then again, I think there are some excellent training sources in the Austin
area in the form of Mr. T.J. Walker and Ms. Becky Jones.

Anyway, great time had by all.

Many thanks to Vicky and Ben - they did an outstanding job.  All the more so in
taking time from their busy schedules, after they've already put in a full day,
to come teach us in the July heat.
Participants - Rick Corbell, Bryan Scott, Tom Kroeger, Jill Orr, Aspen
Schindel, Michelle Bryant, Steve Bryant, Joe Dantri, Kori Dunaway, David
Daniels, Renee Skwara, Geary Schindel, sorry, I can't remember the others right
now.

Geary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy Caver,

You are cordially invited to attend the Underground Texas Grotto meeting on
Wednesday June 29, 2011 from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M. University of Texas
Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall (156 West 24th Street, Austin TX 78712)
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html Vivian Loftin will be
presenting - Ongoing Adventures Underground in Lechuguilla Cave. Vivian
returned to Lechuguilla and captured some spectacular photography during her
project week underground. Come check out this awesome cave from one of our
own and join the inner sanctum of Austin Texas Cavers and visit with friends
of the extended caver community..
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lechuguilla+cave+tour&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1034&bih=963For
information on Underground Texas Grotto activities, please see
www.utgrotto.org Officer contact, trip reports, event calendar, and new
caver training links to beginner trips or vertical rope training are
available. Before the meeting, take advantage of Sao Paulo
www.saopaulos.netfor happy hour specials. This area is the best place
to park and meet folks
walking over to the meeting. Then after the official meeting, we continue
with the decades long tradition to reconvene for burgers, beer, and tall
tales of caving at Posse East. www.posse-east.com The UT Grotto needs you,
the caver with photos and a story to share about your adventures, scientific
research, or something else really cool. Contact me. Sincerely, Gary
Franklin UT Grotto Vice Chair & Program Organizer 512-585-6057
v...@utgrotto.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings MexCavers,

We all have enjoyed the variety of photographs in the AMCS Photo of the Week series. It has come to my attention that HEB is offering half price 8 x 10 prints between now and the Convention, which comes out to $1.61 each with tax. I would be glad to make copies of any of my photographs, and with permission of any of the other photographers, could make prints of their images.

The new Photo of the Week season is just around the corner so please consider which of your photos you would like to share with the group. The historic photos are always well-received and photos of current activities quite exciting.

See You in Colorado,

Terry Raines

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers, there is one open slot left for the continuing Deep Cave survey at Deep
& Punkin Nature Preserve this weekend. If you want it, please contact me.

Don's iPhone.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
FYI

WASHINGTON� The Center for Biological Diversity filed a lawsuit today challenging the Bureau of Land Management�s issuance of a �special recreation permit� to the National Speleological Society, which is holding its annual convention in Glenwood Springs, Colo., later this month.

Details at:

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2011/white-nose-syndrome-07-06-2011.html

Lee Skinner

--- End Message ---