On 8/18/2011 11:38 AM, Tenzin Beck wrote:
Not likely a meteor-- it's too conical, and has no sign of a rim or nearby ejecta. Always hard to judge scale and angles in these kinds of images... anyway, my guess is that the underlying lava tube had a partial collapse on its own, causing the sand/regolith to funnel in.
-Tenzin
At this point, I wouldn't rule out either theory. A small meteor hitting a deep layer of sand over a lava tube may have been sufficient force to cause a collapse. The original rim and ejecta may have been much smaller, and thus swallowed along with the sand falling into the opening.

Lee Skinner