texascavers Digest 16 Sep 2011 13:19:57 -0000 Issue 1392

Topics (messages 18591 through 18599):

NSS Award Nominations
        18591 by: Jim Kennedy

Herb and Jan Conn added to South Dakota Hall of Fame
        18592 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

TCMA Members Meeting at TCR
        18593 by: Allan B. Cobb

TCR 2011
        18594 by: Allan B. Cobb

LED flashlight sale
        18595 by: David

Speleo Technics company ?
        18596 by: David
        18598 by: Terry Holsinger

The 3rd Quarter 2011 TEXAS CAVER Is Now Online
        18597 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        18599 by: Speleosteele.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
(forwarded from TAG-Net Digest)

NSS Award Nominations

Once again, it is time to nominate that deserving member of your grotto,
section, or region for an NSS award to be presented at the 2012
Convention. Please submit nominations to the appropriate award sub chair
by November 15, 2011. All of the award information is in one handy spot,
check out the NSS Web Page at this URL:
http://www.caves.org/committee/award/ . You can submit your nominations
in writing or via e-mail, for the following awards:

WILLIAM J. STEPHENSON OUTSTANDING SERVICE AWARD
One Outstanding Service Award is given each year to a member of the NSS
for outstanding service to speleology and the NSS. Life Membership is
conferred upon receipt of this award. This and the Honorary Membership
(below) constitute the Society's highest awards. Send nominations to
Bill Mixon.

HONORARY MEMBERSHIP
One Honorary Membership is given each year to one person, not
necessarily an NSS member, for outstanding contributions to the field of
speleology. The award confers life membership to the Society. Send
nominations to Bill Mixon

LEW BICKING AWARD*
The Lew Bicking Award recognizes dedication to the thorough exploration
and mapping of a cave or a group of caves. The award may be given to an
individual, or to a pair of cavers who, through specific joint actions,
qualify equally for the award based on the exploration they have done
together. Candidates must have been NSS members for at least the past
two years. A cash award accompanies this recognition. Send nominations
to Bill Steele.

SCIENCE AWARD*
The Science Award is given each year to recognize one or a pair of NSS
members who, through specific joint actions, qualify equally for the
award based on outstanding dedication to the scientific study of caves.
Candidates must have been NSS members for at least the past two years.
Send nominations to Dr. Kathy Lavoie.

SPELEAN ARTS & LETTERS AWARD*
One Spelean Arts and Letters Award is given annually to recognize one or
a pair of NSS members who, through specific joint actions qualify
equally for the award, over time has advanced spelean arts and letters
by significant artistic expression, management, or criticism. Candidates
must have been NSS members for at least the past two years. Send
nominations to Linda Starr.

VICTOR A. SCHMIDT CONSERVATION AWARD*
The Victor A. Schmidt Conservation Award is given annually to an
individual or a pair of NSS members who, through specific joint actions
qualify equally for the award through his, her, or their actions and has
demonstrated an outstanding dedication to the cause of cave
conservation. Candidates must have been NSS members for at least the
past two years. Send nominations to Bob Vandeventer.

FELLOW OF THE SOCIETY
Recipients are members who, over a number of years, have exemplified by
their actions their dedication to the goals of the Society or to the
Society itself. Recipients must have been members in good standing of
the Society for at least two years immediately prior to their names
being submitted as candidates. Send nominations to Mike Hood.

CERTIFICATE OF MERIT
Certificates may be given to individuals, jointly to no more than three
individuals, or to organizations. (NSS Membership is not required.) A
maximum of three Certificates of Merit may be awarded each year for
specific, recent accomplishments in cave exploration, study,
conservation, or for accomplishments which further other goals of the
NSS. Send nominations to Gary Moss.

PETER M. HAUER SPELEAN HISTORY AWARD
This award includes a cash award to be given to an individual or group
of individuals engaged in an outstanding spelean history research
project. Send nominations to Carolyn Cronk.

JAMES G. MITCHELL AWARD
This award includes a cash award for the best scientific paper presented
at the Convention by a member (or members) of the Society age 25 or
younger. For consideration contact Mike Backe.

*The Awards Committee shall give preference to candidates who have not
received the Outstanding Service Award or Honorary Membership.

Comments and suggestions on the nomination process and operation of the
Awards Committee are always welcome. Please write Scott Fee, Awards
Committee Chairman.

http://www.caves.org/committee/award/ has hyperlinks to email all NSS
Awards Committee Members.

Past awardees (including Fellow) are at
http://caves.org/committee/award/winners.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Herb and Jan Conn added to South Dakota Hall of Fame

Rapid City Journal, Sept 11, 2011

http://southdakotanews.info/south-dakota-top-stories/fourteen-south-dakotans-added-to-state-hall-of-fame.html

Fourteen South Dakotans added to state hall of fame

Herb and Jan Conn

Herb and Jan Conn transplanted to South Dakota in 1947 from the
East Coast, because in the Needles of Custer State Park they felt
they had found a climbing paradise. They lived simply and sustained
themselves with odd jobs so they could spend their summers on the
rocks. In 1959 Dwight Deal invited them to explore Jewel Cave. For
the next 22 years, they explored and mapped over 60 miles of
unexplored passages. Because of their discoveries, the National
Park Service has opened a new scenic tour of the cave. They have
mapped both the Needles and Jewel caves.

“The Conns have been legendary pioneers, working in partnership
in the worlds above and below ground. They are recognized worldwide
for their contributions to the sports of climbing and caving. Their
athletic accomplishments have paved the way for thousands of others
in the sports of climbing and caving and helped build significant
elements of the tourism industry in the Hills of South Dakota,”
said Sue Brown, a neighbor of the Conns in Custer.

“Herb and Jan Conn are the original Needles climbers. They first
visited The Needles while passing through on a road trip in 1947.
Jan had seen a picture of the Cathedral Spires in a schoolbook and
was curious. They climbed the Fan and the Exclamation Point that
day. The hook was set,” said Lindsay Stephens, author of “Adventure
Climbs.”

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,

The Texas Cave Management Association will be holding a Members Meeting at the
Texas Cavers Reunion at 9 AM on Sunday morning.  All members and any other
interested people are welcome to attend. This is your opportunity to address
the board and find out first hand what is going on in TCMA.  Our new bylaws
call for changes in our elections policies so we will no longer be holding
elections for Directors at this meeting.  Our new election procedure includes
e-voting and written ballots (on request).  We are encouraging all the
candidates to come to the meeting and make brief statements at the meeting.
Just prior to the meeting (and probably even during) the TCMA fundraising
breakfast will be taking place adjacent to the meeting.  Come on out and I hope
to see y’all there.

Allan Cobb
President, TCMA

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy y’all!

Just a reminder that the Texas Cavers Reunion will be October 14-16 at Flat
Creek Ranch.  For directions, visit www.oztotl.com/tcr.

Because of the extreme fire danger and burn ban, we will be strictly enforcing
rules about open fire.  We are asking every car to bring at least one dry
chemical fire extinguisher.  If you smoke, do not throw your butts on the
ground and consider smoking only in your vehicle.  The grass and trees out
there are very dry.

Even with the fire danger, we are looking forward to having a great time.  Come
on out and join the fun.

See y’all there,
Allan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I saw these 5 LED flashlights, on sale this week at Radio Shack

     http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11051610

     http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3843899

     http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11645505

     http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11645506

     http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11738424

Of those, I like the first one the best - the Icon Solo.

I saw other flashlights in the store on clearance that had some good prices.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I just found out a few minutes ago that this caving vendor went out of
business in November.

Is that right ?

I remember the first time I saw one of their headlamps at TCR.
Probably 1986 or so, for me.    I
was immediately impressed by their battery packs, and had hopes of
getting one someday.

    http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/speleo_technics_dx3_14led.jpg

It does not look like other vendors have any products in
stock leftover from Speleo Technics.     Maybe in Europe ?

Or on e-Bay ?

I could presume their business failed for the obvious reasons, but anybody
know if there was something in particular that put the final nail in
the coffin ?

Is the closest thing to the DX3 a Raptor Pro ?

http://www.caving-gear.co.uk/objects/graphics/raptor-pro-kit2.jpg

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- David, a quick visit to their own website http://www.speleo.co.uk/ and you have the answer:

"Speleo Technics Has now Ceased Trading (due to Retirement)
Thank you to all who have supported us over the last 26 years"

So "old age" seams to be the reason.

New caving lamps coming out of the UK here:
http://littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/

Terry H.

On 9/16/2011 2:24 AM, David wrote:
[...]

Our own Wizard of the Web, Butch Fralia, has posted the latest issue of
The TEXAS CAVER to the Members Area.

This latest issue is a photographers delight, so be patient when
downloading it, as it is 70 MB (compressed) with a ton of photos in it!

(Yes, I did everything I could to make it download-friendly. If you
still have dial-up and it takes you a week to download this file, please
consider upgrading to the 21st century!)

In this issue, you'll find another great cover photo by Travis Scott and
superb photos from the NSS Convention in Glenwood Springs, CO in FULL
color by a host of Texas cavers decorate the inside cover.

There's an excellent article from Kurt Menking  on the ongoing
exploration and mapping of Twinkies' Cave, owned by our very own, B.T.
Price.

The photos alone are worth the read and were submitted by a large cadre
of cavers.

A very unique trip report to Amazing Maze with running commentary from
the cast of dozens, including photos of, what appears to be, a very
memorable trip. This extraordinary submission from Ellie Thoene.

And, finally, we  have a very enjoyable and informative trip report from
Bill Steele, on his experience at the NSS Convention in Colorado.

Copies of this newsletter will be at TCR and available to new members
and to prodigal members who have allowed their membership to lapse.

But, why wait?! Renew/join before midnight tomorrow!

This is a very special issue and one, we at the TSA, hope you will
enjoy, but:

You must be a paid TSA member to enjoy online reading of this latest
newsletter!

In other words: No Pay, No View

If your dues have expired,  you won't be able to access the Members Area
of the website until your dues are current.

When your dues have been paid, please give me a shout and you'll be
reinstated with full honors and privileges!

Here are the insanely cheap rates listed below:

* Single Membership - $15.00 - Newsletter Online

* Single Membership - $25.00 - Newsletter Mailed

* Family Membership - $20.00 - Newsletter Online

* Family Membership - $30.00 - Newsletter Mailed

* Student Membership - $10.00 - Newsletter Online

* Student Membership - $20.00 - Newsletter Mailed

Please go to www.cavetexas.org <http://www.cavetexas.org>  to renew your
dues or to become a new member or join at TCR and receive your very own
copy of the latest newsletter.

If you're a TSA member, but haven't yet joined the Digital Revolution,
it is extremely painless to do so. Go to
http://www.cavetexas.org/members/ <http://www.cavetexas.org/members/>
and sign up and enjoy this issue and all four past "Members Only"
issues.

Please remember to select how you want your TC: mail or digital.

Issues older than one year are FREE for you, the inquiring caver, to
peruse at your leisure and, hopefully, will encourage you to join the
TSA.

You can still opt to receive the TC in the mail and be able to view the
issues online.

Not a TSA member? We still would like for you to contemplate becoming a
TSA member. Send me an email for your complimentary  TEXAS CAVER and see
what you've been missing.

Or, you can visit the TSA website at www.cavetexas.org
<http://www.cavetexas.org>  and become a paid member and/or become an
online member of the TSA.

Become a member yourself, or, sign up that special someone as a new or
renewal member for

Paid members now have access to a total of 32 issues available for your
reading pleasure!

Those contemplating membership can now view 25 issues online!

On a more serious note (Guilt mode on), yet again:

This issue came very close to not being put out or, at least, being
issued in a very stripped down form, because I HAD NO
SUBMISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can thank Bill (yet, again!), Ellie, and Kurt (also, yet, again!)
for pulling my fat out of the fire and insuring adequate content for
this issue.

What is truly sad is the fact that there are a LOT of trips going on,
some posted here and others commented on Facebook, as well as some
excellent speakers at the UT and Bexar Grotto meetings that I would love
to receive articles from and to publish!

I realize in this tweeting generation that a lot of folks can't be
bothered or feel they aren't up to the task of writing a lengthy trip
report.

Worried that you're not a very good writer or have never submitted one?
Not to worry! I barely write at a 3rd grade level and y'all have no
problem reading/enduring my posts!

It's been a VERY busy summer caving-wise in Texas, so I know there are a
lot of other trips that have gone on and this is a great opportunity for
you to see YOUR name in print, so get busy!

I always NEED material for the next issue and can ALWAYS use whatever
you send me!  I love getting articles, but, especially enjoy reports
from TC virgins.

You have a couple of months now till the next issue. So that should be
plenty of time to put your thoughts down, so, submit that report that we
all enjoy hearing about.

If you happen to be an Armchair Caver, no problem.

It's been months since I have received any submissions for "The Carbide
Caver" section of the newsletter and we would all love to hear a
humorous or exciting or memorable or, potentially, libelous recollection
from one of your past trips, documented for all to read from the depths
of your memory!

Sorry to be such a downer and nag and laying a guilt trip on y'all, but
I need material!

Thanks to all who have helped me out in this issue and past issues. Now,
get your other fellow cavers involved!

Thanks for your support of the TC, the TSA, and making Texas the great
Center of the Caving Universe.

See you at TCR!

Mark Alman - TSA Chairman and TEXAS CAVER Editor

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Nice issue! Hey, great shot of Bat Boy on page 9. I didn't even know  that
there had been a sighting of him in Texas, let alone that a good photo was
taken of him. And that photo of Ellie on page 13, I want a print of  that on
my refrigerator.

Bill of

Or, you can visit the TSA  website at _www.cavetexas.org_