meltdown, is it one or two words?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Locklear 2035
  To: texascavers@texascavers.com
  Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:00 PM
  Subject: [Texascavers] A warning from the future.

  David,

  It's me, David, from the future.

  It's taken the better part of a decade to do this, but I'm sending this from
the future to tell you... to tell me... that something awful has happened.
Things haven't been the same since Tzar Zuckerberg of Facebook merged Wal-Mart
with the Department of Defense, but aside from the general hardship of life in
the year 2035, sending an e-mail back in time is just not an easy task. I won't
go into all the details, but it took 1.21 jigalumens of LED light and a 17th
generation Facebook Blackberry to do it.

  You wouldn't believe the inaccurate treatment of caving in all the movies and
shows I watch on Facebook. I've compiled a spreadsheet of all the ones I've
encountered and will be sending that back in time also, once I can stockpile
enough AA batteries to do so.

  Getting back to the reason I'm sending this... It's me. I mean you. It's us,
David. I've seen the error of our ways. Ever since the exodus of 2012, Texans
don't cave anymore. Nobody knew about the trips anymore because everyone quit
the TexasCavers e-mail list. If only they'd switched to Facebook. Tzar
Zuckerberg's mandate of 2017 made it illegal to quit Facebook. They'd all still
be connected, and we'd be caving right now, or at least talking on Facebook
about caving trips a few of us went on in the 1970s.

  The point is that I ruined it. You ruined it. We spammed Facebook with the
most banal off topic minutia of our life and everyone left. Once everyone was
off the list, they all just forgot about caving all together. I, you, collected
thousands of flashlights and headlamps for the day when caving came back, but
it never did. It had been like a game figuring out how to make my mundane
passing thoughts tangentially related to caving in whatever irrelevant manner
possible. If I'd wanted to dispatch a manifesto on bathroom tissue, I would
have, because bowel movements do not stop for caving, and one time, while
caving, I thought I might need to make a burrito bag, but alas, I did not. The
threat was real, though, this I assure you.

  What the e-mail list should have been used for all along is simply
dispatching information about upcoming caving trips, sharing trip reports from
recent caving trips, and hosting the occasional meaty conversation about a cave
related topic such as cave geology, biology, safety, even a Werner Herzog film
about a cave.

  It's time to stop using this e-mail list as a vanity fueled megaphone for our
ramblings. Maybe our closest friends care about all we have to say, but those
people out there on the e-mail list aren't all our closest friends. Many of
them have never even met us. I see now that sending e-mails like that out just
damages the community because we're running people off who might otherwise
participate in this list if it weren't congested with our terrible posts. If we
stop now, in the year 2011, which the great exodus looming, maybe caving can be
saved. I really want to have a use for all these flashlights and headlamps.

  Although, on the topic of bathroom tissue, if you ever need any, I highly
recommend Facebook Brand Bum Wipes. They're strong, and absorbent. I haven't
had any of them tear on me yet. They could be softer, but I'll take utility
over comfort any day. I've pushed the LIKE button on their Facebook page, and I
recommend that all of you do too.

  David Locklear
  CEO of Natufest International,
  A subsidiary of The People's Republic of Facebook

  P.S. You all should really go on Facebook and download the new Wu-Tang single
when it comes out in 2020. I listened to it the other day while looking at my
old caving photos on Facebook (which makes it on topic) and it's really
excellent. I never thought I'd like Classical Music, but the gunshot sound
effects on this one really are sublime. Also, in the early nineties they were
considered 'undgeround' and caving is an underground activity. So it's doubly
on topic.

  P.P.S. I'm going to go Facebook my Facebook Facebook. Facebook.