David, I'm afraid that Stefan was right when he said that it was unlikely that
you would pay attention to his e-mail.  I happened to read your second e-mail
(below) before I read Stefan's, and I was already shaking in my caving boots at
the comment that "it only takes 20 seconds to create a Facebook group."  As a
caver who happens to use and like Facebook, I pictured groups spawning like
rabbits on every conceivable scientific, geographical, explorational, social,
psyco-sexual, theological, ethical, literary, and so on topic in caves and
caving (at least in Texas).  Each is endowed by it Creator with largely
overlapping memberships of people many of whom are already friends in real life
as well as on Facebook.

Yes, I exaggerate. But what is the point of all these groups?  What are they
good for - especially when something simple and that works is already in place?
 Stephan's key point (I hope) was that the more that systems multiply and
become more complex, the harder it potentially becomes to find the specific bit
of information that you are looking for.  Or even to decide where to post
something.  "Hmm... This is a dig project in a cave in the Edwards Aquifer.
Where should I post an announcement?  Digs? Obviously. Hydrology? Probably?
Trips? Certainly!"  With the result that the same bit of news gets announced
multiply on all these lists and the list notification e-mails clog our
mailboxes - until we change the settings to the point that we get no more
notifications at all, and then nobody knowns what's happening after all.

Regards,

Roger Moore