Kudos to Mark.Alman for another very nice issue of the Texas Caver! Lots of nice color photos. That's one of the advantages of an online publication - you can have color for little or no additional cost. I enjoyed Travis Scott's article about using Google Earth to find a new cave. I know many people have used that resource to find caves as well as routes to get to them. It's always a treat to find something that was right under your nose all along. It reminded me of another discovery that took place in Mexico in the early '90s, although not by using Google Earth, which didn't exist then. For years cavers had been camping on the promontory outside of La Yerbabuena in Purificación. It is a spectacular spot, ringed by cliffs that fall off over 150 meters on three sides. One year the locals put in a new logging road that allowed access to the area beyond those cliffs. When cavers hiked over to check it out, they looked back in awe at the huge entrance in the cliffs below camp. Actually getting to that entrance was an epic adventure in itself, and ultimately led to a cave 1.8 km long (Cueva Paraíso Difícil). A photo of the entrance is on the cover of AMCS Activities Newsletter no. 19, <http://www.amcs-pubs.org/nl/19.html>. The story is in Death Coral Caver no. 2 <http://www.purificacion.org/dcc2.htm>.

Mark Minton

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org