Public library? What's that? Actually, I read all the science fiction books in the Hammond, Indiana, public library when I was, what, 15? (This would have been in 1492 or thereabouts.) But I haven't been in one since. School libraries would in principle be a better bet for reaching young people, but God only knows what sort of hoops one would have to jump through to get a book into one--probably have to be reviewed by Mothers Against Everything.

I know somebody who just bought an ex-library copy of Beyond the Deep-- one that had been "deaccessioned" by a library, even though it was just published eight years ago. Sigh.

You can lead a horse to water, but... If you don't even lead the horse to the water, he certainly isn't going to drink. Are there NSS membership brochures at every one of your grotto meetings? (At UT there are, because I do it.) Will there be a pile of them at the registration desk at TSA? Speaking of TSA, when have you last seen a membership brochure for it? -- Mixon
If a thing is not worth doing, it is not worth doing well.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org