David,

First of all have you learned nothing from the movies?  Nuclear fall-out, if
anything, should make the fruits abnormally large, and likely glow in the
dark.

Second, and slightly more serious, is anyone else frustrated by the sudden
expert stance of reporters on the nuclear power plants?  Quotes like "some
reports say the reactor rods are now almost half exposed" or "this was the
third hydrogen explosion reported today" or, "radiation leaks have been
reported at up to 40 times the usual level".

All of these comments need some serious qualification, and explanation.

1. What does an exposed rod mean?  I'm not a nuclear engineer or physicist,
what does this mean to the people of the area?
2. "Third hydrogen explosion today"- makes it sound pretty serious... Except
I made hydrogen explosions at my lab table in High School with only the
threat of a detention...  Quantify that comment- what does it mean to the
people there?
3. Radation levels 40 times the usual amount registering where?  In the
local village?  Compared to what?  The reactor core?  What does this mean to
the people there?  I think the image conjured by most people is that glowing
ooze that made the ninja turtles.

Anyway, this reporting (as most it seems) is geared to raise hysteria and
feed drama, not educate or inform.

-B

--
Brian Riordan