texascavers Digest 31 Mar 2011 15:28:05 -0000 Issue 1281

Topics (messages 17490 through 17512):

AMCS archives
        17490 by: Mixon Bill

Refreshments
        17491 by: Fritz Holt

Weather report for Ft. Clark Springs
        17492 by: Joe Ranzau
        17493 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        17494 by: Stefan Creaser

Re: New freshwater shrimp species discovered at Great Basin National Park :
        17495 by: Louise Power

Re: Archives
        17496 by: Corky

link to TSA Spring Convention Program
        17497 by: ellie :)
        17498 by: ellie :)
        17499 by: Mallory Mayeux

Bat flight at Fort Clark Springs!
        17500 by: Joe Ranzau
        17501 by: Don Arburn
        17502 by: Joe Ranzau

April 20th: Best of Karst - Dr. Hazel Barton
        17503 by: caverarch

TSA Convention at Ft. Clark Springs
        17504 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        17505 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        17509 by: Gill Edigar
        17510 by: Fritz Holt
        17511 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        17512 by: Preston Forsythe

Driving Advice to Convention
        17506 by: Denise P
        17507 by: Ron R
        17508 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- I suppose I ought to also invite people to contribute material on Mexican caves to the archives of the Association for Mexican Cave Studies.

The catalogs of the AMCS "library" are on its web site at http://www.amcs-pubs.org/library/contents.html . The library comprises series of periodicals received in exchange and books large enough to shelve. The archives consist of disks and paper items that are being placed in storage cases or file folders and cataloged slowly. A lot of the things currently cataloged are related to the preparation of AMCS publications (original manuscripts, original maps, photographs, etc.), but there are a lot of other miscellaneous things such as articles from other publications (originals or photocopies), printouts from web sites, maps, etc. It includes three boxes of material donated by James Reddell and one box from William Russell.

So far, I have cataloged about 300 disks and 3000 paper items in the archives. As of now, these catalogs consist of long RTF files. I'm not sure what good it would do to put that on the web, because people would only be able to download the whole thing and search it with whatever rudimentary "find" command is in their word-processing program. It would be nice if someone could come up with a way that a web user could display only a list of the items meeting some Google- like search criterion. The extraction could be done either at the server or in the user's browser. Anybody with ideas how this can be done, please contact me. Meanwhile I will think about putting the RTF files on the AMCS web site for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, looks like I've got another couple thousand items to sort out and catalog, and of course the AMCS will be happy to keep any additional material warm and dry and eventually catalog it, too. And if anybody wants to help dig up additional things for the archives, for example by searching my library for Mexico material that should be photocopied and filed, welcome. -- Bill Mixon
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thank you, Diana. Some of us who like Icees were wondering since there had been
no mention of Dave's Cave Saloon. :)

Fritz Holt
Town & Country Insurance Agency
10575 Katy Freeway, Suite 150
Houston, Texas 77024
713-461-8979
713-464-2674 Fax

Thank you for doing business with Town & Country Insurance.

** June through November our agency may become prohibited from binding coverage
should a "Tropical Disturbance" enter the Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean Sea.  In
these cases we will be unable to bind coverage previously quoted until the
storm leaves our area and our writing authority has been restored.**  Coverage
cannot be bound or altered using voice mail or e-mail without verification by a
licensed representative.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Convention is almost here!  Was a lovely 54 degrees this morning at dawn.
Currently in the mid 60's at noon. Should warm up for excellent swimming
weather this weekend!  I got here way early for unrelated meetings.

Make sure not to mow down old folks in their golf carts with your speleomobiles!

Joe

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Who you calling an "old folk", Joe, and where the h*** did I park that
golf cart?!

Thanks for the update.

Mark

Convention is almost here!  Was a lovely 54 degrees this morning at
dawn. Currently in the mid 60's at noon. Should warm up for excellent
swimming weather this weekend!  I got here way early for unrelated
meetings.

Make sure not to mow down old folks in their golf carts with your
speleomobiles!

Joe

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
He was talking about *his* golf cart Mark...

:-)

Stefan

Convention is almost here!  Was a lovely 54 degrees this morning at
dawn. Currently in the mid 60's at noon. Should warm up for excellent
swimming weather this weekend!  I got here way early for unrelated
meetings.

Make sure not to mow down old folks in their golf carts with your
speleomobiles!

Joe

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well, the first thing they got wrong is that Great Basin National Park is in
Nevada, not Utah. It is close to the Utah line, but entirely in the state of
Nevada. It does not straddle the state line. As a matter of fact, Wheeler Peak,
the highest peak in the range, is the highest peak totally within the state of
Nevada.

From: jerryat...@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 05:23:54 -0400
To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] New freshwater shrimp species discovered at Great Basin
National Park :

New freshwater shrimp species discovered
at Great Basin National Park

        THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
        First Posted: March 29, 2011 - 7:30 am
Last Updated: March 29,
        2011 - 7:30 am
GREAT BASIN NATIONAL PARK, Utah — A new species of freshwater shrimp has
been discovered in a cave at Great Basin National Park.

The Deseret News reports the White Pine amphipod was discovered at the bottom
of a deep cave in the park, which straddles the Utah-Nevada border.

Also known as freshwater shrimp, the amphipod genus is eyeless, white and
lives in underground waterways.

The amphipod joins other species endemic to the caves of Great Basin National
Park, including rare millipedes and scorpions.

Tod Williams, the park's acting superintendent, says the discovery supports
the need to protect fragile habitats to learn more about the species.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/4746706b8be84ee58c0c70ddb4ba19a9/UT--Shrimp-Species/#

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I rather liked the cave data of any "kink". It leaves room for interpretation. ;)

On 3/30/2011 11:10 AM, tbsam...@verizon.net wrote:
Shouldn't that be "Las Moras Springs"?

Mar 30, 2011 10:41:28 AM, ronra...@austin.rr.com wrote:

    Cavers,

    I will be collecting material from folks to place in the TSS, TSA
    and TCMA archives during the Spring Convention. If you have notes,
    photos, maps, cave data of any kink, official meeting notes from
    your previous job as an officer in any Texas cave organization or
    just have stuff you want to go to a good home, this is your chance
    to painlessly pass it on to the archives.

    See you at Fort Clark springs.

    Ron Ralph

    Texas Speleological Survey

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here is a link to TSA Spring Convention Program:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzP7GaKdftjDNDI1MzEyOWYtM2M0MC00ZTVmLWExZDMtODk0MGFjYWNiYTU5&hl=en

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
of course it doesnt work! I will get out new link tomorrow.

On 3/30/11, ellie :) <ellie.tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a link to TSA Spring Convention Program:
>
> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzP7GaKdftjDNDI1MzEyOWYtM2M0MC00ZTVmLWExZDMtODk0MGFjYWNiYTU5&hl=en

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
CORRECTION: Here is the updated link:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzP7GaKdftjDNDI1MzEyOWYtM2M0MC00ZTVmLWExZDMtODk0MGFjYWNiYTU5&hl=en&pli=1

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM, ellie :) <ellie.tho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> of course it doesnt work! I will get out new link tomorrow.
>
> On 3/30/11, ellie :) <ellie.tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here is a link to TSA Spring Convention Program:
> >

> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzP7GaKdftjDNDI1MzEyOWYtM2M0MC00ZTVmLWExZDMtODk0MGFjYWNiYTU5&hl=en

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Great little bat flight down at the pool. Been watching several dozen bats get
their dinner above the springs!

Joe

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
So, you're saying we need repellant?

Don's iPhone.

On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Joe Ranzau <jran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great little bat flight down at the pool. Been watching several dozen bats
> get their dinner above the springs!
>

> Joe

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Little cool for mozzies tonight...  Moths!

Lots of bats!

Joe

On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Don Arburn <donarb...@mac.com> wrote:

> So, you're saying we need repellant?
>

> Don's iPhone.
>
> On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Joe Ranzau <jran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great little bat flight down at the pool. Been watching several dozen bats
>> get their dinner above the springs!
>>

>> Joe

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Coming (not so nearby) to the USF campus in the Tampa-St. Petersburg area on
April 20th, in case there are any Texans in the vicinity:

From: caverarch <cavera...@aol.com>
Hazel Barton
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 4:46 PM

Johanna,

May I re-post this announcement to the Texas and Houston lists, or do you want
to keep notice of this event in Florida?  There are a few folks here that may
be able to attend.  (I'm sure we'd all be interested!  I certainly am.  I love
Hazel's picture of dozens of petri dishes growing subterranean bacteria!)

Sincerely,

Roger Moore
Greater Houston Grotto

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Does anyone know the status of the Alamo Village, north of
Bracketteville?

They still have a website, www.alamovillage.com, but according to
Wikipedia, the place is closed.

As a HUGE John Wayne fan, I would like to check this movie location out,
if possible.

Also, for the sumptuous barbecue dinner Saturday night, courtesy of
Stefan and the Caver Cooking Crew,

be sure to bring your own utensils!

Thanks!

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I think they will lease out for weddings, etc. Maybe a group marriage like the Moonies? Gill's ordained.

Mar 31, 2011 08:23:56 AM, mark.al...@l-3com.com wrote:

Does anyone know the status of the Alamo Village, north of Bracketteville?

They still have a website, www.alamovillage.com, but according to Wikipedia, the place is closed.

As a HUGE John Wayne fan, I would like to check this movie location out, if possible.

Also, for the sumptuous barbecue dinner Saturday night, courtesy of Stefan and the Caver Cooking Crew,

be sure to bring your own utensils!

Thanks!

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There's a phone number on the home page where you can get up to date info.
--Ediger

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:22 AM, <mark.al...@l-3com.com> wrote:

>  Does anyone know the status of the Alamo Village,

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Yes, it's been closed for about a year. No longer a tourist attraction.

Fritz

<mark.al...@l-3com.com<mailto:mark.al...@l-3com.com>> wrote:

Does anyone know the status of the Alamo Village,

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sadly, the line has been disconnected and the Alamo Village appears to
be no more.

8^(>

Mark