Edwards Aquifer Philosophical Society -

aka brown bag luncheon
Thursday, April 7, 2011 at Noon
Edwards Aquifer Authority
Conference Room
1615 N. St. Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX

Mr. Peter Jones will be making a presentation titled: "A Lifetime of Caving in
the Guadalupe Mountains of New Mexico."  Peter has won numerous awards for his
cave photography and has had his photos exhibited across the U.S. including a
traveling exhibit for the Smithsonian Museum.  Peter has had the rare
opportunity to be in on the initial discovery and exploration of some of the
largest and most beautiful caves in U.S.  Peter will be exhibiting photographs
from some of the rarely visited portions of caves in Carlsbad Caverns National
Park and Guadalupe Mountains.   The Guadalupe Mountains exhibit some of the
same processes for cave and karst development which we believe is occurring in
the Edwards Aquifer.

The presentation will be held on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at high noon in the
conference room at the Edwards Aquifer Authority.  These are informal
presentations so please feel free to bring your lunch.  For directions or
further information, the Authority may be contacted at 210.222.2204 or
www.edwardsaquifer.org<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/>

If you are traveling a long distance to the talk, I would recommend that you
call our receptionist that morning to make sure that the talk is still
scheduled at the number below.  On very rare occasions, we have had to cancel
or move the talk.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you.

Geary Schindel
Chief Technical Officer
Edwards Aquifer Authority
210.222.2204

A Lifetime Caving in the Guadalupe Mountains of New Mexico

Peter Jones, from Camden, Maine, has been caving and photographing in the
Guadalupe Mountains for 42 years.  Home to Carlsbad Cavern and Lechuguilla
Cave, Peter has explored, discovered and photographed in these and many more of
the hundreds of caves within that mountain range.  Learn about the history,
geology and people who explore these incredible caves.
Peter may also have some of his wonderful pottery on display.

Biography

Peter Jones is a potter in Camden, Maine and cave photographer in many places.
He is currently photographing for Cave Without a Name in Boerne, TX.  His work
has been published worldwide.  Several of his prints hang alongside those of
Ansel Adams in the Cavern Arts Project Gallery in the Carlsbad Caverns National
Park Visitors Center  He has photographed for National Geographic Television
and helped coordinate a NOVA filming project in Lechuguilla Cave.  In 2003, he
spent three weeks photographing Carlsbad Cavern and several other caves within
the Park for their Public Domain Photo Gallery.  He is currently photographing
caves for the BLM and US Forest Service offices in Carlsbad, NM to document
their caves.  He has taught numerous cave photography workshops at Carlsbad
Caverns National Park and around the country.  He is married to architect Sarah
Holland and has one daughter, Aspen, a dancer and actor.