I put my sten on both an Ecrin Rock (I use for large and vertical caves) and
a Petzl Elios (I use for tight and crawly caves).  In both cases, I've used
a metal or plastic strap mounted on the helmet to slip the light into with
an elastic band to keep it there.  This gets me that extra half inch of
clearance by not using one of those sten light mounts.
I also run my cables right back into the helmet, through the helmet to the
battery at the back to protect the wires as much as possible.  A couple of
rubber grommets work nicely in the cable holes .

Andy Z