texascavers Digest 8 May 2011 22:35:38 -0000 Issue 1306

Topics (messages 17730 through 17735):

Re: more Cookout stuff
        17730 by: David

Camera related
        17731 by: dlocklear01.gmail.com

Mammoth Cave National Park taking steps to prevent spread of WNS
        17732 by: Lee H. Skinner

Cave happenings in Carlsbad
        17733 by: George Veni

Bexar Grotto program announcement...
        17734 by: Tom Florer

Re: To the TSS webmaster - Butch Fralia - from the cave related links page.
        17735 by: Butch Fralia

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Any caver who goes caving on Saturday morning, May 21, and can get to
Camp Happy Hollow
by 9 p.m., we will save you some food.      You will get in free and a
hot shower will be waiting for
you.    I will have some extra cots, and and a roof over your head.

Also, any cavers travelling from West Texas, Lubbock, Wichita Falls,
out-of-state, etc. will get in free.

Anyone with a valid excuse to get in free, just let me know.   ( Like
you shot Bin Laden or something,
equivalent, or discovered the cure for WNS, etc. )

There may be a mid-night movie and popcorn to watch in the lodge.

Hopefully there will be a blender and a table with a few beverages.

I doubt we will run out of wine, or soft-drinks.

If anybody wants to bring milk and cereal for breakfast Sunday
morning, that would be appreciated.

We might have a raffle.    ( definitely not an iPad 2, but something cool )

Most people will leave Saturday night and the rest very early on
Sunday morning.     But I plan to be there most
of the day on Sunday, so please let me know if you can come out Sunday
only, and maybe we can
throw something on the grill.

Please add the link below to your Facebook wall, or pass it along:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198886710150583

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Best Buy has the Sony a230 camera on clearance for only $ 360.

Looks like a good bargain for a caving camera.

No idea if that is every store or just the one I am at.

The additional flash is $ 130.

I think telephoto lens is $ 250

And another $ 250 for a 16 mm lens

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- They are using "bio mats". Anybody know what chemicals are in them? See the article

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2011/05/mammoth_cave_national_park_tak.html

by Victor Skinner (no relation to me).

Lee Skinner

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here are a couple of news stories from Carlsbad:

Unveiling of the Jim White sculpture:
http://www.currentargus.com/ci_18013872?IADID=Search-www.currentargus.com-ww
w.currentargus.com

Opening of the Underground of Enchantment Lechuguilla Cave 3D photo exhibit:

http://www.currentargus.com/ci_18018457

I don't recall seeing either on the Texas list (and Texans were spotted at
both events) and I only recall the report on the Lech exhibit on the New
Mexico list.

George

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
At tomorrow's Bexar Grotto meeting, Alan Montemayor will be presenting slides
of his recent trip, where he and his wife Cheryl Hamilton spent 49
days in South Africa,
 Lesotho, Swaziland,
 Botswana, and
 Namibia.

They did a self-drive safari in 4WD Toyota
pickup trucks equipped with rooftop tents.  Along the way, they visited shelter
caves in
 Lesotho and
 Namibia that contained rock art from
ancient Africans, visited Kruger
 National Game
 Park in South
 Africa , Etosha
 Game Park in
 Namibia , the red sand dunes
of the Namib Desert and Fish
 Canyon (the Grand Canyon
of Namibia).  We can expect to see photos of wild animals including Lion,
Leopard, Cheetah,
Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhinoceros, Hippopotamus, Giraffe, Ostrich, Hyena,
Zebra,
Kudu, Wildebeest, Warthog, and many other hoofed beasts.

A good time will be had by all in attendance...the Bexar Grotto meets at
Chester's Hamburgers (NW corner of Hwy 281 and Thousand Oaks Dr) at 7:00 pm on
the second and fourth Monday of each month.

-Tom

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Does this name ring a bell with anyone?