texascavers Digest 10 Dec 2010 19:25:33 -0000 Issue 1208

Topics (messages 16689 through 16693):

Re: Rattlesnake Cave, Oklahoma, and True Grit
        16689 by: John Brooks

Re: El Malpais
        16690 by: Rod Goke
        16691 by: Andy Gluesenkamp
        16692 by: Fofo
        16693 by: Andy Gluesenkamp

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
There is a fairly long cave on Winding Stair mountain called Bear Den Cave. It
has several entrances. And seems like I have heard past stories about a body
recovery from the cave in the past. The cave has close to a 1000 feet of
passage...although I am not sure it has been mapped. Seems like there is an old
survey of it done by Joe Looney. It might be the same cave. Or I suppose it is
quite likely that there are other caves in the area.
The rock is some type of sandstone. And Bear Den is formed along a fault that
runs north/south across the mountain.
There is significant air movement through the cave and there is a nice blowing
lead at the back. A group from DFWG did a couple of dig trips to follow the air
in the early 80s....and opened up some more passage. But ran into another
constriction with airflow. We suspected that there was likely another
entrance....but never found it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2010, at 9:39 AM, cavera...@aol.com wrote:

A journalist and historian friend in Florida (who was with a TV station in Fort
Smith for a number of years) has brought to my attention a little mystery about
an Oklahoma cave and a major motion picture.  Maybe some North Texas cavers
know the cave (or crevice or whatever; I don't think there is much in the way
of true solutional caves in the Ouachita Mountains, of which I believe the
Winding Stairs to be a part).

Roger Moore
GHG

Roger, The publicity about the True Grit remake brought to mind a little
mystery
that might be of interest to you and your caver friends. Its a little known
fact
that the "Rattlesnake Cave" in the movie was actually based on a real
"Rattlesnake Cave" somewhere in the Winding Stair Mountain area of eastern
Oklahoma. A real-life Deputy U.S. Marshal went down into the cave to retrieve
the body of a murder victim and found himself in a nest of rattlesnakes. The
cave was well known in the late 1800s, but its location has been lost to modern
historians. Any thoughts on it?  (Oh, and if you want to read a little about
the "real" Rooster Cogburn, you might enjoy this:

www.exploresouthernhistory.com/roostercogburn).
There is a scene near the end in which the young girl who hires the deputy
marshal is put down into a cave by the outlaws and finds herself surrounded by
snakes. The incident in the book and movie was based on a real life incident in
the 1880s when a woman was thrown into "Rattlesnake Cave" somewhere in the
Winding Stair area of the Ouachitas. The outlaws responsible were apprehended,
but in order to prove the case against them, the Deputy Marshals out of Fort
Smith had to retrieve the remains of the victim. One of the officers was
lowered on a rope into the cave, which was described as a "crevice" and as he
was collecting the bones and other evidence realized he was surrounded by
rattlesnakes. He opened fire on them and emptied his pistols, yelling at the
same time for the other lawmen to pull him up. When he came up out of the cave,
he had one snake around his neck and another around his arm which so frightened
the men pulling him up that they almost
 dropped him back down the hole.

It is quite a story and apparently is true. All that is known today about the
location of the cave is that it is in the Winding Stair area south of Fort
Smith. It would be interesting to find.

Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
If the bureaucrats are so interested in research, why don't they make a serious
effort to determine scientifically whether or not closing caves helps to
prevent WNS? Instead of closing all their caves on the basis of little more
than speculation about how cavers might inadvertently spread WNS, why don't
they randomly divide their caves into two groups, where one is an "experimental
group" with caves closed to recreational caving and where the other is a
"control group" with caves remaining open as usual? Then they could actually
study whether or not closing caves has a statistically significant effect on
the spread of WNS.

Do you know of any examples where government bureaucrats have been doing this
to study the effectiveness of cave closing? What, if any, other research
techniques are they using to determine whether or not cave closing is effective
in combating WNS? What, if any, research results are there to justify the
prohibition of noncommercial caving while commercial "show cave" operations are
allowed to carry on business as usual?

Rod

L. Rodney Goke, yet another Ph.D. (as if it matters here ;-)
5105 Dusty Trail Cove
Austin, Texas 78749
(512) 892-4186
rod.g...@ieee.org