Well said Bill.

--- On Fri, 12/10/10, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

From: Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] going to Mexico
To: "Cavers Texas" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Friday, December 10, 2010, 7:42 PM

I'm getting downright discouraged by all the negative comments about Mexico and
all the trips that don't seem to be happening. I'm pretty well plugged into the
news, although my main and nearly only source is the New York Times, and I can
think of only one case of a random American tourist getting killed in Mexico
lately, and that was the guy on a boat near the gulf. A couple of other dead
Americans worked with a US consulate. Where are all the reports of random
tourists being ambushed on the highway and robbed, kidnapped, or killed? You
can be sure that one incident like that would make as much news up here as
fifty Mexicans killing each other (not that that's a particularly good thing to
say about the US press).

Remember the rule about never driving in Mexico at night, the insane Mexican
bus drivers, and the trucks with no lights? We didn't worry then, and the
busses seem to have been tamed. As long as you don't hang around the border
towns, I wouldn't be surprised if it's safer to drive now then it was then.

Of course, this is easy for me to say, I guess, because I gave up going to
Mexico ten years ago for unrelated reasons. -- Mixon
All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org