From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:04 PM
To: Cavers Texas
Subject: [Texascavers] Houston Grotto Party report

Cavers in the Houston area got together this past Saturday evening
for the annual GHG Christmas Party.

Long time cavers Don & Syd Formanek hosted the party at their house,
as they have done for many many years.     I am pretty sure this ritual
has taken place in the Houston area for over 20 years, and probably close
to 40.

Kenny McGee couldn't make it, but he furnished the party with local grown
batch of citrus reticulatas, and there was enough for cavers to take home.

There was plenty of free wine, beer, liquor and sodas and a whole lot left
over.

Several of the cavers there were active in the club back in the 70's, like
Mike & Teresa Connolly, and Jim McLane ( & his girlfriend ).

And, there were cavers there that
were active in the 80's like George Sanders.     2 cavers from the 90's were
there, myself and Sheryl Rieck.    And quite a few cavers that have been
active in the club recently like Wayne and Gay Lynn Hutchinson and
Clint Ladd.    Other members there were Barbara Benavides and her
fiancée Jeff, and 3 other members I haven't seen in 7 years or so, and
can't remember their names, who brought friends and family.

Also attending were, Ray Hertel and his wife, and a new member named
Lucy ( who is anxious to go caving and seems enthusiastic.)

The guest of honor, Mr. Fritz Holt was there, along with his two daughters:
Jenny and Mandy Holt.

 I am probably leaving somebody out?

There was plenty of delicious snacks, including the traditional bacon-wrapped
stuffed jalapen~o.      And two 20" pizzas with extra cheese.    My
mother-in-law,
( from Monterrey ) made a batch of fresh tamales from scratch.

There were several members that could not make it and quite a few cavers that
live in the Houston area that did not come.     But we still had a
pleasant evening.

The topic of caving did come up.    Quiet a few cavers were
embarrassed to explain
how many years it has been since they have been underground, especially
myself.

I would like to thank the host for the wonderful party and also for
letting me stay
in the guest room.

David Locklear
NSS # 27639

P.S.     Someone else is welcome to add to this.