Yes, I've seen that fly catching technique. My father, who is now 98, used to
be good at doing it in his younger days. He used to catch flies in the manner
you described, but his method of dispatching them was different. Instead of
clapping, he would throw the fly as hard as he could onto the floor, which
might not kill the fly, but it usually would stun the fly just long enough for
him to step on it. I never mastered this fly catching technique myself, but I
always thought it was impressive to watch. Sometimes it was even more
entertaining to watch expressions on the faces of bystanders who happened to
witness the maneuver.

Rod