texascavers Digest 16 Feb 2011 23:59:14 -0000 Issue 1250

Topics (messages 17188 through 17205):

Re: Mystery at Jester Cave!!!
        17188 by: Tim Stich

2011 Cave Cavort
        17189 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

9th Annual Austin Cave Festival announcement
        17190 by: William H. Russell
        17191 by: William H. Russell

Cueva de Los Tayos, Ecuador--long
        17192 by: Mixon Bill
        17194 by: Speleosteele.aol.com

TSA convention map salon
        17193 by: Marvin & Lisa

Another Year
        17195 by: Association for Mexican Cave Studies

Ezells Cave work day
        17196 by: Jim Kennedy

U.S. customs agents killed and wounded outside Monterrey today
        17197 by: Diana Tomchick
        17199 by: caverarch
        17202 by: Gill Edigar
        17203 by: Fritz Holt
        17204 by: John P Brooks

Met Buzz Aldrin at the same event
        17198 by: Speleosteele.aol.com

Re: Harrison Schmitt
        17200 by: Mark Minton
        17201 by: Jon

Re: Fort Stanton Cave needs your help
        17205 by: Lee H. Skinner

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
"I let Mark know that I did not rock him. No, I have retired from that
activity. Too many people get their feelings hurt. "

I know. One time I went caving with Bill in Powell Cave I think it was. I
had heard about this grand jest and of the packing of rocks in unsuspecting
caver's packs. But he didn't try to put a rock in my pack and that,
well, hurt my feelings.

-Tim

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Charles Goldsmith <wo...@justfamily.org>wrote:

> I was rocked this weekend as well, however, since we were hauling equipment
> out, someone else picked up my pack, and before I could warn him that there
> was a rock in it, he took off up the trail and was out of sight.
>
> So, I was rocked, but didn't suffer it, it now sits in my garage.  I have a
> collection going.
>
> Charles
>
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM, <speleoste...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I let Mark know that I did not rock him. No, I have retired from that
>> activity. Too many people get their feelings hurt.
>> I suggested to Mark that it might well have been his daughter and
>> daughter-in-law that did it. Now he vows to get them
>> back.
>>
>> Bill

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 2/15/2011 12:39:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
texascavers-digest-h...@texascavers.com writes:

"Von  Daniken  doesn't admit his "The Gold of the Gods" is fiction,
and you  can  believe he really found an imperishable library written on
metal   sheets in Cueva de Los Tayos, Ecuador, if you want to."

Guess we will  never know since the Ecuadorean border with Peru is so
heavily mined  that not even the local Shuar will go there to partake of
their
traditional drug addled rituals. I know, I tried to go there but failed.  I

did make it to a different cave full of tayos (birds that think they  are
bats)
deep in the jungle along the Rio Pastaza. Getting there involved  communal
enemas, getting arrested by enraged Indians with shotguns,  and
reconciliation by means of endless calabashes full of spit beer. It  was a
bizarre
place. There were petroleum stalactites that you could  light on fire.

Speaking of drug induced hallucinations, are these the  same golden plates
that were revealed to Joseph Smith by the giant  white salamander? As an
acolyte  of Oztotl I am aware that the  salamander was none other than an
axolotl
sent by  the Aztecs to make  peace with the great tribe of Mormons with
whom
they share  much in  regard to theology.

There are others who hold that the plates were  actually given to Smith  by
a Moron, the plural of which is  Moroni which presumably refers to
adherents of the Church of LSD,  of which I am one.

The answers to these and other mysteries will be  revealed at the 2011 Cave

Cavort to be held at Weazelworld Thursday  March 31st through Sunday April
3rd.  The big shindig with beer, BBQ,  band, and hot tub will be Saturday
April 2nd.

Activities include  caving, canoeing, hiking, biking, ropes in tall trees,
drinking,  dancing, snake handling, and camping in my beautiful forest
while
surrounded by tame owls and stunning azaleas. The cost is quite reasonable
at  $3.38/day.

Registration and info can be found at:
_http://weaselfest2011.blogspot.com/_ (http://weaselfest2011.blogspot.com/)

Be there or be  square!

Sleazeweazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

--

Folks, we're in desperate need of 12 cavers to help us w/this year's cave fest. It's a one of a kind event, happens no where else or as well attended. Please help us make this year another successful cave fest. I'm so proud that cavers are so involved in this city wide event, oppps, it's now multi county wide invitations. So, drop me an email or call me and volunteer.

Julie: <mailto:jjenk...@bseacd.org>jjenk...@bseacd.org
512-289-1336, leave a mess w/your name and contact info,

This year's info:
                Date:  Saturday, March 5, 2011
                Time:  9:00am to 3:00pm
                Location:  Village of Western Oaks Karst Preserve
More info: <http://www.bseacd.org/events/austin-cave-festival/>http://www.bseacd.org/events/austin-cave-festival/

Julie Jenkins
Barton Springs Edwards Aquifer Conservation District
Environmental Educator
1124 Regal Row
Austin, Tx 78748
off: 512.282.8441
cell: 512.289.1336
email: jjenk...@bseacd.org
website: www.bseacd.org

William Hart Russell
4806 Red River Street
Austin, TX  78751
H: 512-453-4774 (messages)
CELL:  512-940-8336

                Date:  Saturday, March 5, 2011
                Time:  9:00am to 3:00pm
                Location:  Village of Western Oaks Karst Preserve
More info: <http://www.bseacd.org/events/austin-cave-festival/>http://www.bseacd.org/events/austin-cave-festival/

Julie Jenkins
Barton Springs Edwards Aquifer Conservation District
Environmental Educator
1124 Regal Row
Austin, Tx 78748
off: 512.282.8441
cell: 512.289.1336
email: jjenk...@bseacd.org
website: www.bseacd.org
--

William Hart Russell
4806 Red River Street
Austin, TX  78751
H: 512-453-4774 (messages)
CELL:  512-940-8336

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here's what Wikip. has to say about Los Tayos:

As a result of the claims published in von Däniken’s book, an investigation of Cueva de los Tayos was organized by Stan Hall from Britain in 1976. One of the largest and most expensive cave explorations ever undertaken, the expedition included over a hundred people, including experts in a variety of fields, British and Ecuadorian military personnel, a film crew, and former astronaut Neil Armstrong. The team also included eight experienced British cavers who thoroughly explored the cave and conducted an accurate survey to produce a detailed map of the cave. There was no evidence of Von Däniken’s more exotic claims, although some physical features of the cave did approximate his descriptions and some items of zoological, botanical and archaeological interest were found.

The C.P.C. (Craven Pothole Club?) published an expedition report that I don't have. An article appeared in the BCRA Bulletin (of the British Cave Research Association), number 14, November 1976. I've had my computer "read" if for you. Sorry, I haven't made any effort to clean up what the OCR program did.

LOS TAYOS EXPEDITION, ECUADOR : JULY - AUGUST 1976
David. Judson

With the interest created by Juan Moritz after a small Ecuadorian Army expedition to the Los Tayos caves in 1969» and the even greater interest created "by the fantastic claims of Eric Von Danekin in his book, "Gold of the Gods11, the Expedition^ primary objective was to investigate the caves thoroughly and make
a factual report on its findings•

The Los Tayos Caves are situated in the south-east of Ecuador, approximately 10 kilometres from the border with Peru. The oaves were known to be in an area of Jurassic limestone at an altitude of approximately 2500 feet, near to the Rio Coangas, a southern tributary of the Rio Santiago. The caves were known to have been visited by a party of Italian missionaries in 1884» and by a German party in 1955> (both taken there by the local Jivaro Indians). It was also known that the caves were visited annually (each April), by the local Indians. We found that they were currently taking away about 500 oil bird chicks each
year - which they then render down for their oil.

The Expedition was initiated by Stanley Hall, an engineer from Dollar in Scotland - a friend of Juan Moritz. The Army were invited to participate; they supplied personnel - 40 officers and men, and full logistical support including the supply of equipment and food and liaison with the Ecuadorian Army who supplied air support and jungle trained forced. It was decided at an early stage that a secondary objective should be to provide a team of scientists who would study all aspects of the cave and the surrounding terrain, and work closely with other scientists based in Ecuador. At a rather late stage it was appreciated that there was a need for a strong team of civilian cavers, whose brief it would be to look after cave exploration, survey, photography and to attend to the requirements of the scientists actually carrying out work underground. Eventually a team of eight cavers was assembled: Peter Holden (Army); Dr John Prankland;

David Judson; David Checkley; John Whalley; Peter Cardy; Arthur Champion and John Harvey. The team was only recruited during the final two months prior to
the departure of the Expedition.

The duration of the Expedition was fixed at 45 days, (by reason of economy on air tickets), leaving UK 50th June. With the excellent air support given by the Ecuadorian Army and Air Force, the first party reached base camp on the Rio Santiago, (only 15 kilometres from the caves), only two days after leaving Heathrowl After a further four days, (including abortive efforts to move up
river in inflatable boats), we reached a cave site by Puma helicopter.

Exploration was pursued on the same day, (day 6), by Judson and Champion, who descended a 50 metre shaft, a 6 metre pitch, observed the small square passage and the rectangular arch shown in "Gold of the Gods", and explored a large boulder strewn passage for a distance of one kilometre and a depth of almost 200 metres. The passage ended at a sump pool, where an active inlet passage brought in a sizeable stream but sumped immediately downstream.

Under the direction of John Harvey, the cavers worked for the following six days on the erection of a heavy timber platform, and the rigging of petrol generator and electric hoist for descent by scientists and other non- cavers
into the main cave.   During this period the permanent stream sink was
explored, Cammando Cave, and this eventually linked up with the main cave at the sump pool and at other points. A third, parallel system. Shovel Pot, was subsequently explored. This opened off the entrance chamber of Commando Cave. The stream met within Shovel Pot appears to originate from the upper sinking point of the Los Tayos stream, and almost certainly enters the main system, but
a positive link was not established.

The whole cave system appears to have been developed as a result of the progressive down cutting of the Los Tayos stream together with its old tributary, (now permanently sinking at Commando Cave), cave development being initiated at Archaeological Shaft and Main Shaft, where two major joints crossed the line of the stream bed. M6 Passage appears to be a secondary system, its original entry point now being unknown. Commando Cave and Shovel Pot appear to be more recently
developed routes, both presently active in varying degrees.

The resurgence for the Los Tayos system is unknown, but the system is heading down a steady dip of 10-15° towards the Rio Coangas, and may not have very far to go in depth, and 1-2 kilometres in distance. The main characteristic of the whole system is the remarkably rectangular form of most of the passages, this applies especially to the larger and older ones. This has been occasioned by the general thinly bedded, well jointed nature of the limestone, which becomes more pronounced with depth. The Main Passage, through Stanley Hall to the sump presents a superb example of progressive cavern collapse, with a maximum
width of almost 100 metres being reached in Stanley Hall.

The main scientific activities carried out within the caves were: fauna collection, by Ashmole, Jefferson and Campbell; sampling guano for presence of histoplasmosis spores, by Frankland and Cavanagh; bat collection and studies of bat parasites, by Stebbings, Gaskell and Hutson; oil bird studies, by Snow;

archaeological work, by Father Porras and assistants; geology by Wilkinson.

Towards the end of the Expedition a piece of pottery was found in a small passage near to the foot of the Archaeological Shaft and this led to many more finds in the immediate vicinity by Father Porras and his assistants. It is believed that these remains, pottery fragments, ceramic ornaments, and currency of the day, in the form of large shells originating from the Pacific Coast, are in the order of 5500 years old. Work is still in progress on dating of these objects, and a further Ecuadorian expedition is being planned to pursue this
further with a major dig, possibly in 1977»

Early in August, when evacuation of the cave site was already well under way, Professor Neil Armstrong (the first man on the moon) our Honorary President, put in an appearance at the Santiago Base Camp. He was offered a chance of a look around the cave system. He was flown to the cave site by Allouette helicopter, together with Stanley Hall and five of the caving team, and they descended into the cave by ladder. A minor collision that day at Santiago, between the Allouette and one of the Arava supply aircraft put the helicopter out of action for 24 hours and the whole party had to sleep out rough at the
cave site - I understand that 'moontalk1 was prevalent?

Other areas were also visited by various members of the Expedition. A small party led by Bob Stebbings spent about ten days collecting bats and exploring a cave system of approximately one kilometre close to the Rio Yuapi, a northern tributary of the Santiago about 15 kilometres downstream from Santiago. Checkley and others also visited an interesting river cave near to Tena, (north of Pastaza, in the central Oriente). The Tena area appears to offer plenty
of scope for further cave exploration.

Another article appeared in Caving International, number 1, October 1978. It contains very nicely printed detailed plan and profile maps of the cave. -- Mixon
A fearless man cannot be brave.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I read about this caving expedition to Ecuador not long after it happened.
Then, about three years ago,
I was at an event in Chicago with my job (memorial for Steve Fossett) that
Neil Armstrong attended.
When he came into the reception afterwards I could sense the stir it caused
and see people jockeying to position themselves to meet him. I decided to
not worry about it, if it happened it happened, and stood back observing the
scene like a sociologist.

A little while later I saw that Armstrong and his wife were very close to
me and all I had to do was turn
around and extend my hand to meet him. I did so, and as I did, I introduced
myself, and mentioned that
I had read about the caving expedition to Ecuador he had gone on in the
70s. He smiled big and wanted to talk about it. Maybe it was relief at not
being asked the same old questions about what it was like on the
moon, I don't know, but he lit up and gave me more time than I had seen him
give anyone else. A couple of times he held his hands up to demonstrate the
size of the spiders he'd seen in the cave entrance.

I noticed people gathering around to listen and I thought at time they were
wondering what it was I had said to him that he was so interested in
talking about. I bet some of them wished they were cavers

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
All you cave cartographers, start gathering your maps and be prepared to
bring them to the convention in Bracketville in April. I will be organizing
the salon this year. It will be run pretty much as in previous years. Check
out the web page for details: http://cavetexas.org/events/mapsalon.html . Be
sure to take a look at the judging form (link on the web page) to see what
criteria the maps will be judged on. If you would like to submit a map for
the salon but won’t be able to attend personally, you can mail a print of
the map to me. If it is small format (8 ½  x 11) you can send me a digital
file and I will print it myself.

-Marvin Miller

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings Cavers,

It been another diverse year for the AMCS Photo of the Week. We've enjoyed many excellent photos both historical and of current events. I particularly enjoy the responses, which are forwarded to the photographers. Please keep digging in those archives, and keep the cameras rolling on your current explorations.

For those of you interested in the mechanics of how we capture those underground images, don't miss this week's photo.

See You Soon, Terry

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers, here is a reminder for a caving activity this weekend.  We need
your help!  The Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) will be having
a work day to spruce up one of our properties, the Ezells Cave Preserve
in Hays County.  We plan to prune limbs, cut weeds, haul off junk, and
just generally make the property more attractive.  We need people, saws,
loppers, weed eaters, gloves, and maybe even someone with a trailer
willing to carry all the debris to the landfill.  Bring your own drinks
and snacks for the work, but TCMA will treat all volunteers to pizza and
drinks after we are done.  The date is Saturday, 19 February.  The time,
10:00 am.  Meet at 1400 block of Brown Street, on the southwest side of
Bishop Street, in San Marcos, Texas.  All visitors to the Preserve will
be asked to sign a liability waiver.

If anyone wishes to enter the cave after the work is completed, Preserve
Manager Jon Cradit has agreed to that.  Jon can be reached at
512-557-7965 in case any one gets lost, or if you would like coordinate
more details with him.

Thanks for your support!

Jim Kennedy
TCMA Preserves Chair

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/15/AR2011021506693.html?hpid=artslot

When does the revolution begin?

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

________________________________

UT Southwestern Medical Center
The future of medicine, today.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mexico needs a kind of revolution those happening in Tunisia and Egypt: a broad
"social" one in which the majority of the Mexican people decide that they
cannot abide either the cartels or the death squads any longer. I don't know
how that can come about, especially without a lot of bloodshed. but I'm afraid
it will take changes from the base like that to stop this.  There must arise a
point when the average Mexican citizen says "Enough!"

Roger

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mañana.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM, caverarch <cavera...@aol.com> wrote:
> Mexico needs a kind of revolution those happening in Tunisia and Egypt: a
> broad "social" one in which the majority of the Mexican people decide that
> they cannot abide either the cartels or the death squads any longer. I don't
> know how that can come about, especially without a lot of bloodshed. but I'm
> afraid it will take changes from the base like that to stop this.  There
> must arise a point when the average Mexican citizen says "Enough!"
> Roger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That was a politically incorrect song sung by Peggy Lee some years ago. It was
quite popular then but doubt it would be played today. Too derogatory.

Geezer

> Mexico needs a kind of revolution those happening in Tunisia and Egypt: a
> broad "social" one in which the majority of the Mexican people decide that
> they cannot abide either the cartels or the death squads any longer. I don't
> know how that can come about, especially without a lot of bloodshed. but I'm
> afraid it will take changes from the base like that to stop this.  There
> must arise a point when the average Mexican citizen says "Enough!"
> Roger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
to quote a famous song by Gil Scott Herron: "the revolution will not be
televised...."....apparently he was wrong in this instance. He also had a great
song entitled "Whitie on the moon"...which is appropriate music for another
topic of discussion today....

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Geary Schindel e-mailed and told me his story of meeting a lunar astronaut,
Harrison Schmidt, the only geologist who went to the moon.
Geary encouraged me to post about meeting Buzz Aldrin later the same night I
met Neil Armstrong.

About an hour after talking to Neil about the caving expedition to Equador he'd
gone on, I noticed Buzz Aldrin walking toward the open bar, so I got in line
behind him. I introduced myself and told him that I'd seen the news account
that had recently been on TV of the man ambushing him outside of a building and
screaming in his face that the moon landing had been faked. Buzz punched him
out. I told him that the guy had it coming, to which he said, "Yeah, well, I
wish I hadn't done it, Goddammit. It cost me a small fortune in lawyer's fees.
But it sure felt good at the time!"

Buzz also has a caving connection, He read Barbara amEnde, Monte Paulsen, and
Bill Stone's book BEYOND THE DEEP and is quoted on its dusk jacket.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have a minor connection to astronaut Harrison Schmitt myself. Many years ago Nancy Weaver and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Silver City, New Mexico that was run by Schmitt's parents in their home. We slept in his old bedroom. Not surprisingly, they had a lot of astronaut memorabilia around the house.

Mark Minton

At 02:46 PM 2/16/2011, speleoste...@aol.com wrote:

[...]

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

One year we were getting boats checked in at the start of the "World's toughest
boat race" - 260-mile canoe race down the San Marcos river.  As we were getting
boats checked the dignitaries came walking around.  One of them was the guy
that was going to start the race,  Jim Lovell.   He stood around and talked and
asked questions for about an hour.  What a nice man, unlike an experence in
Austin with Buzz.  But that's another story.

Jon

        I have a minor connection to astronaut Harrison Schmitt myself.  Many
years ago Nancy Weaver and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Silver City, New
Mexico that was run by Schmitt's parents in their home.  We slept in his old
bedroom.  Not surprisingly, they had a lot of astronaut memorabilia around the
house.

Mark Minton

At 02:46 PM 2/16/2011, speleoste...@aol.com wrote:

> Geary Schindel e-mailed and told me his story of meeting a lunar astronaut,
> Harrison Schmidt, the only geologist who went to the moon.
> Geary encouraged me to post about meeting Buzz Aldrin later the same night I
> met Neil Armstrong.
>
> About an hour after talking to Neil about the caving expedition to Equador
> he'd gone on, I noticed Buzz Aldrin walking toward the open bar, so I got in
> line behind him. I introduced myself and told him that I'd seen the news
> account that had recently been on TV of the man ambushing him outside of a
> building and screaming in his face that the moon landing had been faked. Buzz
> punched him out. I told him that the guy had it coming, to which he said,
> "Yeah, well, I wish I hadn't done it, Goddammit. It cost me a small fortune
> in lawyer's fees. But it sure felt good at the time!"
>
> Buzz also has a caving connection, He read Barbara amEnde, Monte Paulsen, and
> Bill Stone's book BEYOND THE DEEP and is quoted on its dusk jacket.

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- the Fort Stanton - Snowy River National Conservation Area is part of the National Landscape Conservation System.

Last night three amendments were offered to H.R. 1, the FY11 Continuing Resolution bill.

�They are ugly: One will completely DEFUND the National Landscape Conservation System and another two will prevent any funds to be used for the implementation of the Antiquities Act.

1. Amendment 92 by Rep. Heller and Amendment 205 from Labrador that would eliminate any funding to be used for the implementation of the Antiquities Act

2.Offered By: Mr. Bishop of Utah
AMENDMENT NO. 515: At the end of the bill (before the short title), insert the following: Sec. __. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used for the National Landscape Conservation System.

*This new amendment would eliminate ALL funding for the places you care about- the entire National Landscape Conservation System. *

I urge all of you to the following website to send a message to NM Senators and representatives:

https://secure.wilderness.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2237

Lee Skinner

--- End Message ---