From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:30 PM
To: Cavers Texas
Subject: [Texascavers] The Chilean mine rescue

I am posting this because the rescue is potentially related to
building a cave entrance for a deep cave.

Please delete this if you are not interested in the topic.

By the time you read this, at least one of the miners should be out.

Univision plans to show live coverage of the mine rescue for probably
the rest of the night,
and tomorrow.

If you tune in now, you will see technicians gerry-rigging a temporary
pulley near the top of the shaft to try
to stop some of the wobble in their system.      I bet the cable
wobbles and rubs the rock shaft a lot more
at 800 to 1000 feet as the capsule hangs below at 2000 feet deep and
is spinning around.

One report says the capsule will spin 15 times on its way out.

It makes you admire the engineering at the Honeycreek Shaft.     The
Chilean system goes straight from
the top pulley across a field where there is a giant winch with 2000
feet of steel cable.    The cable looks
to be an inch in diameter.

Here is a recent picture of the capsule:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5gZlZEJmq2euuKhZ6-iOqF1YjQbIQ
?docId=e492b4ff-c4ed-45f6-b93f-e9ca017ffc6b&size=l

Since they have done 4 test runs, they should be able to anticipate
any problems.     The victims will
have oxygen mask which is a good idea.    Also, one report said they
would be wearing special nylon
overalls.

One concern I have is that since the shaft is not vertical, the
capsule will be grinding the whole way along
the bottom side of the rock shaft.     That is going to be loud, and
maybe sparks flying.    I don't like the grating
covering the miner at all.

Also, since the shaft is not vertical the cable is going to rub on the
rock, because the weight of the cable
will be stretched out for 2000 feet.    This rub point should move
down the cable as the capsule rises, so
that not the same spot in the cable is receiving abrasion.      At
some depth the cable should not rub.
Maybe the capsule weighs enough to pull the slack out of the cable at
2000 feet?

The tie-off point on the capsule has to be able to support part of the
weight of a 2000 foot x 1 inch steel cable, along with all the
dynamic forces of the jerking of the capsule.     I bet some sophomore
engineering mechanic classes
get that as a test question this semester.    Since the capsule is
spinning 360 degrees, there has to be
reinforcement in all directions.   I only see 4 reinforcements at 90
degrees each     Fortunately, the angle is not
severe enough to cause an obvious problem.

One report said only 300 feet of the rock shaft is lined.     Is that
going to be enough?

There seem to be a lot of technicians on the ground help the head honcho.

And there is quite an audience there.

It is kind of like what the Floyd Collins rescue would have been like.

David Locklear