texascavers Digest 14 Oct 2010 18:58:42 -0000 Issue 1168

Topics (messages 16299 through 16320):

live rope cam
        16299 by: David

cavers recycle
        16300 by: Sam Young

Re: new TCR photography policy
        16301 by: Saj Zappitello

AMCS sales at TCR
        16302 by: Mixon Bill

NSS awards nominations sought
        16303 by: Mixon Bill

NSS Science Award
        16304 by: Mixon Bill

TCR Weather Report
        16305 by: Allan Cobb

Cavers all dressed up, circa 1981
        16306 by: Frank Binney

Correct link to caver portraits
        16307 by: Frank Binney

photos at TCR -- recap
        16308 by: Saj Zappitello
        16309 by: Allan Cobb
        16311 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Frank's photos of 1981 wedding
        16310 by: Logan McNatt

Re: Chilean Miner Rescue happening right now
        16312 by: Fofo
        16314 by: Gill Edigar
        16315 by: germanyj.aol.com
        16316 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        16317 by: Fofo
        16318 by: Geary Schindel

Last call
        16313 by: Ron Ralph

TCR After Hours Gate Code
        16319 by: Allan Cobb

TCMA Funraising Breakfast
        16320 by: Allan Cobb

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Did anybody watch the installation this morning of a web cam on the
top of the capsule?

It is sending live video images up and down from the top of the capsule.

It appears to be held on with a magnet and some duct tape.

How is this tiny video camera sending live video to the whole world?

That was a good idea, but it seems like they should have had it on the 1st
paramedic down the hole.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Recycling containers will be available at TCR for the collection of aluminum
cans and plastic bottles.  Look for them near the Bexar Grotto camp and the
food area.  The aluminum will be contributed to Green Guy Recycling of San
Marcos, the providers of the containers.

......... Sam

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You don't have to leave your camera at home. Just use a little common sense
and have a little RESPECT folks. Give it a try, at least! This is a simple
policy with a lot of avenues of interpretation for a reason. Nudity, partial
nudity, inebriation, all of these things are more fun without a lot of
incriminating photos the next week.

If you don't like this policy, then I challenge you to spend all day
saturday wearing nothing but paint, a thong, and a sign around your neck
that says "please take my picture." ...Actually, I think that could be a lot
of fun ;) ...but I don't think I'd want to see those photos in the Texas
Caver...

~Saj

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM, <mark.al...@l-3com.com> wrote:

> Agreed, Butch, and the same with *The TEXAS CAVER.*
> **
> I always try to make sure that whatever I print, I would be comfortable
> with if it was one of my family members or on the cover of the local
> newspaper (remember those?).
>
> If it would embarrass someone or is cave/landowner sensitive, i.e., gives
> directions to a certain cave, it doesn't go in.
>
> Luckily, neither has been a problem.
>
> BUT, in the age of Facebook and every yahoo in existence having a cellphone
> with a camera, how you will ever be able control this is beyond me.
>
> The genie is out of the bottle and it, along with personal privacy, has
> gone the way of the chariot and carbide.
>
> (See the Rutgers incident).
>

> Rest assured that Butch and I will be the epitome of privacy and good
> taste, relatively speaking in a caver sense.
>

> All the other avenues, good luck with all that!
>

> Mark
>

> P.S. - I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed sooner, this week or in
> prior years.
>

> ------------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As usual, the Association for Mexican Cave Studies will be selling publications at TCR. We should have at least a couple copies of everything in our catalog at amcs-pubs.org (not amcs.org), with lots of copies of newer things. I believe the following are all new since the last TCR

AMCS Activities Newsletter 33, June 2010  softbound $10, hardbound $20
AMCS Reprint 11: Mexican Field Trip Guidebooks from the 15th ICS   $10
AMCS Bulletin 21: Karst Hydrogeology and Speleogenesis of Sistema Zacatón, by Marcus Gary $14 From Forests to Deserts: A Journey in the Caves of Mexico. Hardbound book by the La Venta group in Italy $32 Huautla: The Mexican Cave. 35-minute 1995 film by Jay Arnold converted to DVD-R. $5

And I don't want to hear anybody say that they know they need issues of the AMCS Activities Newsletter but don't know which ones. This is your warning to check and make a list. -- Bill Mixon, AMCS sales
A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I am seeking nominations on behalf of the Awards Committee for the National Speleological Society's highest awards. The recipients of these awards are selected by the NSS Board of Governors; the Awards Committee's role is mainly to solicit nominations. Recipients receive life membership in the NSS.

One person is awarded Honorary Membership each year for "outstanding contributions to the field of speleology." Candidates need not be NSS members; the award has often been given to distinguished foreign speleologists.

One NSS member each year receives the William J. Stephenson Outstanding Service Award for "outstanding service to speleology and the society."

I am appending lists of past recipients for your convenience. You could write a nomination yourself, suggest doing so to someone else familiar with your candidate's qualifications, or both. Nominating letters are compiled and sent to the Board of Governors before their spring meeting. The deadline for nominations for the HM and OS awards for 2011 is November 15, 2010. This early deadline is to allow time for members of the Awards Committee and the Board of Governors to add comments to the file. No one else is told the slate of candidates, and all nominating materials are confidential.

Nominations for the Honorary Membership and the Outstanding Service Award should be sent to

Bill Mixon
bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
14045 North Green Hills Loop
Austin, Texas 78737

HONORARY MEMBERS
1941    Vernon O. Bailey
1942    Roy J. Holden
1943    Ralph W. Stone
1944    Allyn Coats Swinnerton
1945    Alexander Wetmore
1946    Robert DeJoly
1947    Don Bloch
1948    William J. Stephenson
1949    Robert Broom
1950    Mark R. Harrington
1951    Emil W. Haury
1952    René G. Jeannel
1953    Charles E. Mohr
1954    J Harlen Bretz
1955    Henri Breuil
1956    Norbert Casteret
1957    Carl F. Miller
1958    Donald R. Griffin
1959    John S. Petrie
1960    William E. Davies
1962*   Julia L. Staniland Day
1963    Thomas C. Barr, Jr.
1964    Albert Vandel
1965    William R. Halliday
1966    E. Aubrey Glennie
1967    Russell H. Gurnee
1968    G. Nicholas Sullivan
1969    Walter B. Jones
1970    Donald N. Cournoyer
1971    John A. Stellmack
1972    Jack Herschend
1973    Roger Brucker
1974    Don Sawyer
1975    Derek C. Ford
1976    Marjorie H. Sweeting
1977    Herb & Jan Conn
1978    Rane L. Curl
1979    George W. Moore
1980    John R. Holsinger
1981    Eugenio de Bellard Pietre
1982    Art & Peggy Palmer
1983    Joseph Jennings
1984    Stewart Peck
1985    Merlin Tuttle
1986    Jerry D. Vineyard
1987    Gregory "Tex" Yokum
1988    Richard A. Watson
1989    Patty Jo Watson
1990    Ronal C. Kerbo
1991    Alexander B. Klimchouk
1992    Donald Davis
1993    Antonio Nuñez-Jiménez
1994    Nicholas C. Crawford
1995    David C. Culver
1996    Arrigo A. Cigna
1997    Stein-Erik Lauritzen
1998    William H. Russell
1999    Horton Hobbs III
2000    Ronald Greeley
2001    Paul Williams
2002    Trevor Shaw
2003    James R. Goodbar
2004    Barry F. Beck
2005    Yuan Daoxian
2006    John Gunn
2007    William Elliott
2008    John Mylroie
2009    Andy Eavis
2010    Jim Martin
*The apparent gap just reflects a change in the schedule of announcing the award.

OUTSTANDING SERVICE AWARD
1973    John Cooper
1974    Charles Larson
1975    William B. White
1976    William F. Cuddington III
1977    Roy Davis
1978    Eugene Vehslage
1979    William S. Hill
1980    George F. Jackson
1981    Jeanne Gurnee
1982    G. Thomas Rea
1983    David McClurg
1984    Evelyn Bradshaw
1985    William W. Torode
1986    Robert R. Stitt
1987    William Mixon
1988    W. Roswell Jones
1989    Paul J. Stevens
1990    Janet B. Thorne
1991    Doug Rhodes
1992    Sheck Exley
1993    Doug Medville
1994    Lee Stevens
1995    Albert C. Mueller
1996    John P. Scheltens
1997    John Wilson
1998    Bill Varnedoe
1999    Warren C. Lewis
2000    Richard Blenz
2001    Dave Jagnow
2002    Robert B. Hoke
2003    Hazel E. Medville
2004    Dave Bunnell
2005    Joel Stevenson
2006    Steve Hudson
2007    Scott Fee
2008    Keith Wheeland
2009    Carol Tiderman
2010    Cheryl Jones
A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Fellow Cave Scientists/Cavers:

In my role as the chair of the Science Award subcommittee of the NSS Awards Committee, I encourage you to submit a nomination for next year’s NSS Science Award. Please think of some good scientists in the various cave and karst disciplines who deserve the recognition. We are looking for people who have made significant contributions to the sciences, but who are also still very active. Close association of the scientist with NSS is not mandatory, but preferable. The nominee must be an NSS member for at least the past two years. Strong preference will be given to nominees who have not received the NSS Honorary Member or Outstanding Service awards (if you’re not sure, check next to the person’s name in the NSS Members Manual or I can let you know). The previous Science Award recipients are:

1994            William B. White (geoscience)
1995            John Holsinger (biology)
1996            Arthur N. Palmer (geoscience)
1997            Derek Ford (geoscience)
1998            Thomas Poulson (biology)
1999            Patty Jo Watson (archeology)
2000            John Mylroie (geoscience)
2001            James R. Reddell (biology)
2002            Carol A. Hill (mineralogy)
2003            Paolo Forti (geoscience)
2004            E. Calvin Alexander, Jr. (geoscience)
2005            Francis G. Howarth (biology)
2006            Ira D. Sasowsky (geoscience)
2007             Kathleen H. Lavoie (biology)
2008             Julian "Jerry" J. Lewis (biology)
2009             Horton H. Hobbs (biology)
2010             Penny Boston (biology)

Your nomination letter should include details of the nominee’s contribution to cave science. Please do not assume that “everyone” knows your nominee. Many members of the Awards Committee and the NSS Board of Governors are not scientists and will need this information to make a sound decision. A BRIEF resume attached to your nomination letter can be very useful, especially if trimmed to highlight the most significant achievements.

Please keep the process confidential by not letting your nominee know that they have been nominated. Letters from other people supporting your nomination are helpful, especially if they provide additional useful insights into the nominee’s contributions.

If you nominated someone that did not get selected last year, please let me know if you'd like me to include that nomination this year.

Nominations can be sent to me by mail, e-mail, fax, or as attached e- mail documents. The deadline is November 15th.

Mail to:
Kathleen Lavoie
Arts and Sciences, 101 Ward Hall
SUNY Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh, NY 1290
lavoi...@plattsburgh.edu
518-564-3152 (fax) 518-564-3150 (any questions)

A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy y'all,

I wanted to post the weather report for this weekend. The highs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be in the mid 80s. The low Friday night will be 47 and Saturday night will be 54. Bring shorts for daytime and a jacket for night. Don't forget something warm to cover with at night.

Information about TCR is available at www.oztotl.com/tcr, t...@oztotl.com, or by phone at 210-338-0TCR.

See y'all there,

Allan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I recently scanned some black and white negatives of a Texas caver wedding
back in 1981. You might be surprised at some of the portraits of cavers you
know today, "all dressed up" in their 70s-era best for a church ceremony.
Here's a public link of the album on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2093366&id=1172443723&l=32e1790d48
(You don't have to be a Facebook member to view the images).
Frank
PS--I'm bummed out that I can't make it back to Texas this weekend to take
more embarrassing photos like these at TCR.

Frank Binney
Frank Binney & Associates
Interpretive Planning and Media Development
P.O. Box 258
Woodacre, CA 94973
415.488.1200 Voice

[...]

Howdy folks,

So it seems like the word "policy" has been taken out of context. No one
wants a hard and fast rule at TCR, and we shouldn't need to worry about
"policing." Think of this as an officially approved request. *Please be
considerate with your photography.* That's all. And ask your friends to be
considerate too.

Asking permission to take photos is often a common courtesy; however, the
biggest issue is with *posting* photos in a public forum. Once you post a
photo online, it never goes away forever. The same is not true of
traditional printed medium, until it is scanned in and digitized.

Cavers are a community, and when we hang out together, as at TCR, we might
want to be able to leave some of the cares of "normal" life behind. This is
why this request is being put forward.

">Many people behave in ways at TCR that they would not dare even dream of
in their "normal" lives."
">considerate, flexible, common sense guidelines are preferable to rigid
policies"
">Cavers do form a community, and we need to protect the interests of those
who would feel (and be) vulnerable without this protection."
">the concept that TCR is provided as a safe place to turn
> kids, dogs, and yourself loose for the weekend and enjoy some freedoms
> that must be kept penned up during one's daily visits to the real
> world. "
">This ease of distribution, combined with declining respect for privacy
throughout much of society, appears to be the real root of an emerging
potential problem."

Below are the sorts of attitudes that I am trying to discourage. I want
everyone to get wild and let loose with me. I think that they are more
likely to if these fears are put to rest by a simple considerate approach.

">If you do something in public that you don't want publicized - then don't
do it."
">don't do it during the daylight hours at TCR. That way no one can take an
embarrassing photo of you."
">unintended and naive use of those photos can and will happen."

I want everyone to be comfortable and *do* do it. Let's get informed, and
inform our friends, and protect our carefree community.

Thanks,
~Saj

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
TCR supports this awareness program.  Please think before you press that
button.  There will be no "photo police" at TCR.

Allan
  So it seems like the word "policy" has been taken out of context. No one
wants a hard and fast rule at TCR, and we shouldn't need to worry about
"policing." Think of this as an officially approved request. Please be
considerate with your photography. That's all. And ask your friends to be
considerate too.

  Asking permission to take photos is often a common courtesy; however, the
biggest issue is with posting photos in a public forum. Once you post a photo
online, it never goes away forever. The same is not true of traditional printed
medium, until it is scanned in and digitized.

  Cavers are a community, and when we hang out together, as at TCR, we might
want to be able to leave some of the cares of "normal" life behind. This is why
this request is being put forward.

  ">Many people behave in ways at TCR that they would not dare even dream of in
their "normal" lives."
  ">considerate, flexible, common sense guidelines are preferable to rigid
policies"
  ">Cavers do form a community, and we need to protect the interests of those
who would feel (and be) vulnerable without this protection."
  ">the concept that TCR is provided as a safe place to turn
  > kids, dogs, and yourself loose for the weekend and enjoy some freedoms
  > that must be kept penned up during one's daily visits to the real
  > world. "
  ">This ease of distribution, combined with declining respect for privacy
throughout much of society, appears to be the real root of an emerging
potential problem."

  Below are the sorts of attitudes that I am trying to discourage. I want
everyone to get wild and let loose with me. I think that they are more likely
to if these fears are put to rest by a simple considerate approach.

  ">If you do something in public that you don't want publicized - then don't
do it."
  ">don't do it during the daylight hours at TCR. That way no one can take an
embarrassing photo of you."
  ">unintended and naive use of those photos can and will happen."

  I want everyone to be comfortable and do do it. Let's get informed, and
inform our friends, and protect our carefree community.

  Thanks,
  ~Saj

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Seeing that this place is seemingly a themepark for redneck mudboggers how are they gonna get the memo/drink the koolade?

Oct 13, 2010 08:55:53 PM, sajar...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

">
considerate, flexible, common sense guidelines are preferable to rigid policies"
">
Cavers do form a community, and we need to protect the interests of those who would feel (and be) vulnerable without this protection."
">
the concept that TCR is provided as a safe place to turn
> kids, dogs, and yourself loose for the weekend and enjoy some freedoms
> that must be kept penned up during one's daily visits to the real
> world. "

">This ease of distribution, combined with declining respect for privacy throughout much of society, appears to be the real root of an emerging potential problem."

Below are the sorts of attitudes that I am trying to discourage. I want everyone to get wild and let loose with me. I think that they are more likely to if these fears are put to rest by a simple considerate approach.

">If you do something in public that you don't want publicized - then don't do it."
">don't do it during the daylight hours at TCR. That way no one can take an embarrassing photo of you."
">unintended and naive use of those photos can and will happen."

I want everyone to be comfortable and do do it. Let's get informed, and inform our friends, and protect our carefree community.

Thanks,
~Saj

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
 Thanks Frank.  Good examples of the black & white world I mentioned in a
previous email.

The wedding was unusual because it brought together two groups of people who would never have mingled otherwise. Duwain was in the Aggie Cadet Corps, so half of the guests were Aggies, including many cadets. The other half was Barbara's many caver friends from Austin and other places, who showed up with beards, long hair, and wearing blue jeans. Most of the cavers had never met Duwain and were confused, even concerned, about Barbara's decision. Duwain and I had shared a big ol' house in Bryan so I assured them that Barbara had made a good choice. Both groups were on their best behavior and it was a memorable wedding, which as Frank said, has resulted in a lasting relationship.

Like a lot of cavers, Barb and Duwain became serious river rafters, and have a successful sideline selling very detailed maps they've made of major rivers in the western U.S.
Check out at   http:// www.rivermaps.net

Logan

P.S.  Sorry you're not going to be at TCR this year.

On 10/13/2010 8:52 PM, Frank Binney wrote:
I recently scanned some black and white negatives of a Texas caver wedding
back in 1981. You might be surprised at some of the portraits of cavers you
know today, "all dressed up" in their 70s-era best for a church ceremony.
Here's a public link of the album on my Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2093366&id=1172443723&l=32e1790d48

You don't have to be a Facebook member to view the images.
Frank
PS--I'm bummed out that I can't make it back to Texas this weekend to take
more embarrassing photos like these at TCR.

Frank Binney
Frank Binney&  Associates
Interpretive Planning and Media Development
P.O. Box 258
Woodacre, CA 94973

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Antonio AA wrote, on 12/10/10 22:13 :

wonder if those eyes protection glasses, are Oakley ones?

Well, they were!

Here's a note from the NY Times:
"All the miners came out of the capsules in expensive dark glasses � donated by Oakley � to protect them from the sun, but the main health effect they all shared was very pale skin from being in the dark so long. "

Basically, the article was about how well the miners and authorities had coped with this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/world/americas/14medical.html

(I didn't know that some people even had they idea that the miners could be getting "the bends" when they surfaced)

Take care,

     - Fofo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Most of them seemed to have pretty good looking wives & girlfriends.
More incentive to wait it out.

The whole thing with the glasses was fluff as far as I was concerned.
They've been flashing lights in each other's faces the whole time.
Their irises ought to dilate and contract in normal fashion enough to
prevent any problems.
--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
 But the miners looked so cool coming out of the capsule in the middle of the
night wearing their fashionable Oakleys ;-)

Most of them seemed to have pretty good looking wives & girlfriends.

More incentive to wait it out.

The whole thing with the glasses was fluff as far as I was concerned.

They've been flashing lights in each other's faces the whole time.

Their irises ought to dilate and contract in normal fashion enough to

prevent any problems.

--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Did y'all hear about the miner who had both?

His GF was there to greet him. His wife was nowhere in sight.

You think he might want to climb back down that hole?!

Yikes!

Mark

Most of them seemed to have pretty good looking wives & girlfriends.
More incentive to wait it out.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hehe, yeah, heard about it, that soon after the accident both showed up to get information.

I could see this guy yesterday before exiting the mine "No, you guys go ahead, I still need to finish cleaning here. Actually, you know? My shift will start soon, so I might as well stay here and go straight to work."

     - Fofo