FYI

and let me know if you have any issues, opinions, volunteering desires...

I will do my best to at least bring it to attention, and at most to get it done.

Jen

There are five items in this copy of the IO INFO.
1) Fall Board of Governors (BOG) meeting invitation
2) West Virginia association for Cave studies (WVACS) to celebrate 50th
anniversary
3)  Nominations for Highest NSS Awards Sought by Bill Mixon
4) NSS looking for candidates to  fill the office of Secretary /Treasurer
5) The NSS planning Committee needs your input

Fall BOG Meeting
The Fall 2010 Board of Governors Meeting will be held on November 6th in Grand
Rapids, Michigan. All are invited to mingle with the Board, bend their ear, and
see your NSS governance in action. For details, please visit
http://www.caves.org/grotto/mig/static.php?page=static101003-211844. Contact
Jean at devri...@aol.com <mailto:devri...@aol.com> with questions or for more
information.

Jean DeVries

Mark your calendars',  WVACS will be celebrating their first 50 years of cave
study and exploration in the Greenbrier Valley, West Virginia on the weekend of
August 13th and 14th, 2011, at the fieldstation on Butler Mountain Road.  More
information will be forthcoming but anyone who has ever been associated with
WVACS in any way should plan on being there to help us celebrate.

Bill & Juliet Balfour
Cave Hollow Farm
7552 Carroll Hill Road
HC 68 Box 13A
Frankford, WV 24938
304-497-0859 (H)(F)

I am seeking nominations on behalf of the Awards Committee for the National
Speleological Society's highest awards. The recipients of these awards are
selected by the NSS Board of Governors; the Awards Committee's role is mainly
solicit nominations. Recipients receive life membership in the NSS.

One person is awarded Honorary Membership each year for "outstanding
contributions to the field of speleology." Candidates need not be NSS members;
the award has often been given to distinguished foreign speleologists.

One NSS member each year receives the William J. Stephenson Outstanding Service
Award for "outstanding service to speleology and the society."

I am sending this message to you in hopes that you will be moved to suggest
someone who would be a good candidate for one of them. I am appending lists of
past recipients for your convenience. You could write a nomination yourself,
suggest doing so to someone else familiar with your candidate's qualifications,
or both. Nominating letters are compiled and sent to the Board of Governors
before their spring meeting. The deadline for nominations for the HM and OS
awards for 2011 is November 15, 2010. This early deadline is to allow time for
members of the Awards Committee and the Board of Governors to add comments to
the file. No one else is told the slate of candidates, and all nominating
materials are confidential.

Nominations for the Honorary Membership and the Outstanding Service Award
should
be sent to

Bill Mixon
bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
14045 North Green Hills Loop
Austin, Texas 78737

HONORARY MEMBERS
1941    Vernon O. Bailey
1942    Roy J. Holden
1943    Ralph W. Stone
1944    Allyn Coats Swinnerton
1945    Alexander Wetmore
1946    Robert DeJoly
1947    Don Bloch
1948    William J. Stephenson
1949    Robert Broom
1950    Mark R. Harrington
1951    Emil W. Haury
1952    René G. Jeannel
1953    Charles E. Mohr
1954    J Harlen Bretz
1955    Henri Breuil
1956    Norbert Casteret
1957    Carl F. Miller
1958    Donald R. Griffin
1959    John S. Petrie
1960    William E. Davies
1962*    Julia L. Staniland Day
1963    Thomas C. Barr, Jr.
1964    Albert Vandel
1965    William R. Halliday
1966    E. Aubrey Glennie
1967    Russell H. Gurnee
1968    G. Nicholas Sullivan
1969    Walter B. Jones
1970    Donald N. Cournoyer
1971    John A. Stellmack
1972    Jack Herschend
1973    Roger Brucker
1974    Don Sawyer
1975    Derek C. Ford
1976    Marjorie H. Sweeting
1977    Herb & Jan Conn
1978    Rane L. Curl
1979    George W. Moore
1980    John R. Holsinger
1981    Eugenio de Bellard Pietre
1982    Art & Peggy Palmer
1983    Joseph Jennings
1984    Stewart Peck
1985    Merlin Tuttle
1986    Jerry D. Vineyard
1987    Gregory "Tex" Yokum
1988    Richard A. Watson
1989    Patty Jo Watson
1990    Ronal C. Kerbo
1991    Alexander B. Klimchouk
1992    Donald Davis
1993    Antonio Nuñez-Jiménez
1994    Nicholas C. Crawford
1995    David C. Culver
1996    Arrigo A. Cigna
1997    Stein-Erik Lauritzen
1998    William H. Russell
1999    Horton Hobbs III
2000    Ronald Greeley
2001    Paul Williams
2002    Trevor Shaw
2003    James R. Goodbar
2004    Barry F. Beck
2005    Yuan Daoxian
2006    John Gunn
2007    William Elliott
2008    John Mylroie
2009    Andy Eavis
2010    Jim Martin
*The apparent gap just reflects a change in the schedule of announcing the
award.

OUTSTANDING SERVICE AWARD
1973    John Cooper
1974    Charles Larson
1975    William B. White
1976    William F. Cuddington III
1977    Roy Davis
1978    Eugene Vehslage
1979    William S. Hill
1980    George F. Jackson
1981    Jeanne Gurnee
1982    G. Thomas Rea
1983    David McClurg
1984    Evelyn Bradshaw
1985    William W. Torode
1986    Robert R. Stitt
1987    William Mixon
1988    W. Roswell Jones
1989    Paul J. Stevens
1990    Janet B. Thorne
1991    Doug Rhodes
1992    Sheck Exley
1993    Doug Medville
1994    Lee Stevens
1995    Albert C. Mueller
1996    John P. Scheltens
1997    John Wilson
1998    Bill Varnedoe
1999    Warren C. Lewis
2000    Richard Blenz
2001    Dave Jagnow
2002    Robert B. Hoke
2003    Hazel E. Medville
2004    Dave Bunnell
2005    Joel Stevenson
2006    Steve Hudson
2007    Scott Fee
2008    Keith Wheeland
2009    Carol Tiderman
2010    Cheryl Jones

A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
Send info to
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

The NSS is looking for candidates to fill the office of Secretary/Treasurer
(S/T).
The position needs a person who is fiscally oriented and has good management
skills. The S/T acts as the chief financial officer of the
organization: they work annually with an outside auditor in preparing tax
returns; work with the other officers to create the annual operating budget;
monitor the use of grant money; and work with conventions to develop a
profitable budget. The S/T has the
assistance of a chief accounting manager and several committees.  To see the
full job description go to:
http://www.caves.org/info/execsearch/exec_st.htm

The election will be held at the November 6th Board of Governors meeting in
Grand Rapids Michigan.  Candidates should be prepared with a resume for an
interview with the Directors during the closed session.  The S/T elect will
begin working with the current S/T until they take office at the Spring meeting
to enable a smooth transition.

If you are interested or want more information, please contact Carol Tiderman
cti...@ymail.com <mailto:cti...@ymail.com>
Did you know that you can go to the NSS website  www.caves.org and link to the
NSS planning Committee? It is important that you let the NSS planning Committee
know where you want the NSS to be heading. After all it is your organization.
Get involved.  The planning committee will be making recommendations to the
Board of Governors. You can influence the recommendations. Sometimes I hear
complaints that the NSS isn't listening, Here is your chance to make a
difference by being heard.
For your Information: The Board of Governors is made up of the NSS Directors
and
the NSS Officers.

Keith

-- Keith D. Wheeland, NSS 2878
NSS Director&  IO Committee Chair
2191 Mt. View Ave
State College, PA 16801-7214
814-238-2057
NSS IO Website: caves.org/committee/i-o/
IO Annual Report and updates: nssio.org