From: Fritz Holt
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:07 AM
To: 'Mandy Holt'; Jenny Holt; pholtsvi...@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: tarantula

Mandy,

That is weird and just in time for Halloween. Sounds like a Mark trick. They
are cool and interesting but are basically harmless. They don't usually bite if
handled carefully but if they do, it is no worse than a bee sting. You did the
right thing but I would have been tempted to put it in a fish bowl with sand in
the bottom and display it at Halloween. They are basically in-ground dwellers
in holes with a trap door. Forty years ago I was heading north leaving Lajitas
after it had rained fairly hard and the water had driven them out of their
holes. There were dozens of them on the highway. It was a strange sight. I put
several in small individual Sun-Maid raisin boxes and brought them home but
don't remember what I did with them but I wouldn't have killed them. Big Bend
is one of the most beautiful parts of our magnificent state. I want to go there
again soon before I get old. :(

Dad