texascavers Digest 2 Dec 2010 15:13:18 -0000 Issue 1202

Topics (messages 16591 through 16620):

Re: conference prices
        16591 by: George Veni
        16601 by: Gill Edigar
        16603 by: Diana Tomchick
        16604 by: Geary Schindel

prices
        16592 by: Mixon Bill
        16593 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        16596 by: Andy Gluesenkamp
        16597 by: Allan B. Cobb
        16598 by: John Brooks
        16599 by: Don Arburn
        16600 by: Andy Gluesenkamp
        16602 by: Diana Tomchick
        16611 by: Fofo
        16612 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Golondrinas advice
        16594 by: Mixon Bill
        16605 by: Robert Burnett

Bats in Popular Mechanics, hummm
        16595 by: Jon Cradit

Here is a cheap caving gathering
        16606 by: David

Video of the Day
        16607 by: David

caving trip to Oman
        16608 by: Mixon Bill

Winter Tech helmet reminder
        16609 by: George Veni

Science News: How a trickle can create a cavern
        16610 by: Lee H. Skinner

Science News
        16613 by: Mixon Bill

NOT Making it to Carlsbad
        16614 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

Honey Creek Cave, January 29, 2011...a trip just for fun!
        16615 by: ellie :)

caving gear tips
        16616 by: David

Mike Collins
        16617 by: Gill Edigar

National Geographic & cavers
        16618 by: Gill Edigar
        16619 by: Robert B

party December 29
        16620 by: Mixon Bill

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I'm working on the Sinkhole Conference below. To a certain degree, this is a
comparison of apples and oranges. The venues of professional conferences are
more expensive than the typical high school used for NSS conventions. Other
expenses occur, based on what participants need and expect of their
conferences, which are often not obvious and which further drive up the
price. Pointing to the cost of burning a CD ignores the effort and other
costs that go into producing its information, and the need to recoup some
minor conference costs without further increasing the registration price.

One key factor in karst conference fees is that these professional specialty
conferences attract only small numbers of people. This means that fixed
prices, like the cost of meeting rooms, are shared between usually 50-150
people, not several hundred to over a thousand like at NSS Conventions. This
significantly increases the per person registration price. Even if the
registration prices were substantially lower, it would not significantly
boost the number of registrants due to the specialized nature of the topics,
travel costs, limited vacation time, etc. Also, these meetings typically
have only a dozen or so people volunteering their time to work on them to
keep the costs as low as possible. Hundreds of people were available to help
with the ICS and many NSS conventions.

No one makes money off of these conferences. People work on them because
they believe these meetings contribute something positive to the science and
management of caves and karst. The financial goal is to not lose money, and
invest whatever is made back into the current conference or the next one.

George