I found such a place. It is 339 acres for a cool mil. Anybody?

       Sheryl

       -----Original Message-----
From: bgillegi...@gmail.com [mailto:bgillegi...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Gill
Edigar
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 1:59 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] TCR sites

       One of the biggest headaches for the organizers of TCR has always
been
       finding a location. There are lots of sites available but most of
them
       are out of the price range. If anybody is serious about helping find
       future TCR venues here are a few things to look for:

       First, consider that a location in Central Texas offers the best
       situation for the majority of Texas cavers. I'd say west of Austin to
       as far away as a line from Junction to Uvalde and from San
       Antonio/US-90 north to, say, San Saba. There are a lot of nice
       river-front ranches in that territory--and a good many with caving
       areas nearby. Just imagine the perfect site--a defunct (or even an
       active one, out of season) children's summer camp on a high bend of a
       flowing river somewhere around Hunt, Texas--then work your way down
       from there. One of the best sources for information about land is, of
       course, real estate agents--even for land that is not presently for
       sale. (But don't forget, if the perfect or near perfect location can
       be found, it is possible that TCR would buy it.) Check with them
about
       local ranches which have or would have good campsites. From my
       experience I would suggest that the ideal campsite:

       Minimum of 10 acres, 2wice that would be better
       A running-water resource--i.e.: flowing creek, river, or clean, clear
       lake (with vehicle access)
       Level, grassy, shaded campsite(s) above the flood plain
       Running water (suitable for drinking and showers)
       Electricity
       Reasonable highway access--county and gravel roads are OK
       All-weather roads on site
       No neighbors in sight (to bother or be bothered by)
       A town with a grocery store within 15 or 20 miles
       Visitable caves nearby--say within an hours' drive
       Exclusive use
       A flat-rate weekend rental that works out to no more than 2 or 3
       dollars a head for the entire weekend

       Bare in mind that not all of those are absolutely required (or any of
       them, for that matter)--nor, you would think, will such a place be
       easy to find. (Unless, of course, you can say "Flat Creek".) In
       reality, there are probably several hundred such places in the Hill
       Country. Many could be bought. It's just a matter of finding them.
       Somebody needs to do an internet tour of Hill Country real estate
       agencies and inquire of the oldest agent there if they can remember
       places that come close to fitting such criteria. Anybody with family
       living within those limits should inquire of them about such
       locations. Generations of Texas cavers will thank you.

       Good luck,
       --Ediger