texascavers Digest 23 Aug 2010 05:03:38 -0000 Issue 1138

Topics (messages 15847 through 15864):

Re: Weekend Work Trip to Laguna de Sanchez
        15847 by: Gary Franklin

caves and pipelines
        15848 by: David

Re: Arf
        15849 by: Stefan Creaser
        15850 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

4WD Pathfinder for sale: Caver Special
        15851 by: Chris Vreeland
        15853 by: Rod Goke
        15855 by: Chris Vreeland
        15856 by: Rod Goke
        15857 by: Don Cooper
        15858 by: Chris Vreeland

New Canadian cave in the news
        15852 by: David

Hello
        15854 by: kfyi.aol.com

Someone's email hacked?
        15859 by: Sheryl Rieck
        15860 by: Charles Goldsmith
        15861 by: Sheryl Rieck

costume from Devil's Sinkhole movie donated to Devil's Sinkhole Society
        15862 by: Logan McNatt

TX cavers' real estate?
        15863 by: Saj Zappitello

Re: TX caver real estate
        15864 by: David

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Mark,
Thanks for the positive assessment and encouragement.
I edited the set of photos initially posted at the link which showed
essentially a hike down the road.  Many of the non-issue area photos were
deleted to focus on the problem areas.

Many folks have offered advice toward clearing the pathway just enough for a
minimal vehicle egress. Using sand bags to fill areas between big rocks as
well as heavy duty loading ramps to lay across washout channels are all
under consideration.  Similar to moving a vehicle across desert sands where
items are laid down to drive across, then keep moving these tracks as the
vehicle progresses.  I challenge them to come apply their best technique.

I still need more people and another driver to help me out.

My vehicle rescue party has grown to six potentials that are still not
confirmed.  Some folks describe Ediger as a superman, but we still need some
help to make this washed out road passable.

A piece of equipment would change the whole game.  I saw a backhoe in
downtown Laguna de Sanchez last weekend, but was unable to find anyone to
talk to about whether it was available.  I am searching for an equipment
rental company in Saltillo, but the mexican web searches are not working for
me.

You tough cavers out there need to join my party for this weekend to make
short work of this little washed out roadway.  Contact me for details.
 Forward any equipment rental or owner operator contacts in the Saltillo or
Santiago area as well.

Gary Franklin
UT Grotto - Austin Texas
512-585-6057
caver.g...@gmail.com

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

>        I agree with Ediger's assessment that most of the road should be
> relatively easy to repair for 4WD passage.  Be sure to take a chain saw, a
> come along and a winch, in addition to other earth moving tools.  In a
> single day back in 2006 a group of only 8 cavers rebuilt a very washed out
> section of road right down the middle of an arroyo in Purificación, and this
> looks no worse, except for the trees.  (See AMCS Activities Newsletter No.
> 30, 2007 and Death Coral Caver No 14, 2009.)  Good luck!  (By the way,
> Ediger's comment mentioned photos 100-104, but I counted only 93 photos
> total!?)
>
> Mark Minton
>

> At 08:53 AM 8/19/2010, Gary Franklin wrote:
>
>> RE: Weekend Work Trip August 28 & 29
>>
>> Cavers,
>>
>> I am planning a Weekend Work Trip to Laguna de Sanchez to work the road
>> down to the ranch at La Camotera where our vehicles were stranded during the
>> Hurricane Alex rains in early July. There are some areas that need a
>> backhoe, but much of the 4 Km road can be driven by straddling the washout
>> gouges with the 4WD vehicles that need some help to get past some obstacles.
>>
>> Join us for a quick trip to Mexico to help out some cavers who are trying
>> to get there vehicles back from a Caving trip. There was a backho in town
>> that may be for hire. I have some rock bars, shovels, picks, and a chain
>> winch that can provide a better work out than the gym. I need several folks
>> and another driver. The Road to Laguna was accessible via Saltillo where the
>> Santiago way in still lacked a section through the box canyon. We are trying
>> to get to WGS 84 - [ 25.3146, -100.210] or [ N 25 18.876 W 100 12.600 ]
>>
>> A chronological trip down the road are posted at the following public
>> link.
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2078702&id=1422061735&l=f260019c74
>>
>> nd another . We are leaving out on Friday afternoon, work Saturday and
>> Sunday, and return on Monday. Give me a call or reply to my email to share
>> in the fun that will help out your fellow caver and the Rancher who has been
>> cutoff for a couple of months.
>>
>> Gary Franklin
>> UT Grotto - Austin Texas
>> 512-585-6057
>> caver.g...@gmail.com
>>

> Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
> Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=466274

That is probably old news for some of you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm sure we could use such a dish if y'all want to make it ;-)

From: "Stefan Creaser" stefan.crea...@arm.com

I'm sure we could use such a dish if y'all want to make it ;-)