texascavers Digest 26 Aug 2010 16:37:09 -0000 Issue 1140

Topics (messages 15874 through 15886):

Re: Ancient Human Skeleton Removed From Mexican Cave :
        15874 by: Gill Edigar
        15876 by: Louise Power

Re: Ancient Human Skeleton Removed From Mexican Cave
        15875 by: Mark Minton
        15877 by: Mark Minton

dog genetics
        15878 by: Diana Tomchick

TAG
        15879 by: ryan monjaras
        15881 by: Jim Kennedy

Re: The 3rd Quarter 2010 TEXAS CAVER Is Now Online!
        15880 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com
        15883 by: Fritz Holt
        15884 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Caves and the weather; old news
        15882 by: Josh Rubinstein

Speaking of THE TEXAS CAVER...
        15885 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Re: Speaking of THE TEXAS CAVER... - Correction
        15886 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
At the height of the last Ice Age the Berring Strait was a piece of
land over 1000 miles wide. Sea level was over 300 feet lower than it
is now. It is speculated that most of the human beings that migrated
along that route didn't walk, they came by boats, hopping from cove to
cove along the coast. Most of their villages (and tombs and artifacts)
have not been located because they are under more than a hundred feet
of water now. A few rare burials from that period have been found in
caves (all the way down into South America) which were high enough to
be above (or in the case of this reported Mexico find, just below)
present day sea level. They push the date of early settlement of the
Americas a good bit farther back in time, well into the Ice Age, than
the terrestrial finds farther inland--as would be expected.

If we had some sort of submersible habitat, say a gutted ship hull
that could be inverted and sunk over these inundated archeological
sites then filled with pressurized air like a caisson so diggers could
live down there for a month or so at a time whilst excavating those
sites in the relatively dryness of the habitat it would be a boon to
our knowledge of these early coastal people who first settled in the
Americas perhaps 30,000 years ago.
--Ediger

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM,  <jerryat...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ancient Human Skeleton Removed From Mexican Cave
>
> MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The remains of a prehistoric child were removed from
> an underwater cave in Mexico four years after divers stumbled upon the
> well-preserved corpse that offers clues to ancient human migration.
>
> The skeletal remains of the boy, dubbed the Young Hol Chan, are more than
> 10,000 years old and are among the oldest human bones found in the Americas.
>
> The corpse was discovered in 2006 by a pair of German cave divers who were
> exploring unique flooded sandstone sinkholes, known as cenotes, common to
> the eastern Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
>
> Scientists spent three years studying the remains where they lay before
> deciding it was safe to bring the skeleton to the surface for further study,
> according to the Mexican National Institute for Anthropology and History.
>
> The institute is coordinating a study of early human migration to eastern
> Mexico that aims to deepen understanding of the movement of people across
> the Bering Strait at the end of the last Ice Age.
>
> The Young Hol Chan, named after the cenote where he was discovered, was
> found in a darkened cave 27 feet beneath the surface.
>
> (Reporting by Patrick Rucker; editing by Todd Eastham)
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11473831

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm not sure that this would be a particularly good idea. I recently read a
book on the recovery of the "Ice Man" on the Swiss/Italian border. He had been
in the glacier for thousands of years. Upon his recovery, he and his artifacts
had to be taken to a clean lab under special care because they began to
deteriorate fairly soon. Bacteria also attacked the corpse.

I've also read several books and articles about the recovery of artifacts from
the Mediterranean. They also have to be treated and sometimes kept under water
to deter deterioration.

Louise
I'm drowning and monkeys dressed like lifeguards are throwing me anvils. Dilbert

> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 07:37:14 -0500
> From: gi...@att.net
> To: texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Ancient Human Skeleton Removed From Mexican Cave :
>
> At the height of the last Ice Age the Berring Strait was a piece of
> land over 1000 miles wide. Sea level was over 300 feet lower than it
> is now. It is speculated that most of the human beings that migrated
> along that route didn't walk, they came by boats, hopping from cove to
> cove along the coast. Most of their villages (and tombs and artifacts)
> have not been located because they are under more than a hundred feet
> of water now. A few rare burials from that period have been found in
> caves (all the way down into South America) which were high enough to
> be above (or in the case of this reported Mexico find, just below)
> present day sea level. They push the date of early settlement of the
> Americas a good bit farther back in time, well into the Ice Age, than
> the terrestrial finds farther inland--as would be expected.
>
> If we had some sort of submersible habitat, say a gutted ship hull
> that could be inverted and sunk over these inundated archeological
> sites then filled with pressurized air like a caisson so diggers could
> live down there for a month or so at a time whilst excavating those
> sites in the relatively dryness of the habitat it would be a boon to
> our knowledge of these early coastal people who first settled in the
> Americas perhaps 30,000 years ago.
> --Ediger
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM, <jerryat...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Ancient Human Skeleton Removed From Mexican Cave
> >
> > MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The remains of a prehistoric child were removed from
> > an underwater cave in Mexico four years after divers stumbled upon the
> > well-preserved corpse that offers clues to ancient human migration.
> >
> > The skeletal remains of the boy, dubbed the Young Hol Chan, are more than
> > 10,000 years old and are among the oldest human bones found in the Americas.
> >
> > The corpse was discovered in 2006 by a pair of German cave divers who were
> > exploring unique flooded sandstone sinkholes, known as cenotes, common to
> > the eastern Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
> >
> > Scientists spent three years studying the remains where they lay before
> > deciding it was safe to bring the skeleton to the surface for further study,
> > according to the Mexican National Institute for Anthropology and History.
> >
> > The institute is coordinating a study of early human migration to eastern
> > Mexico that aims to deepen understanding of the movement of people across
> > the Bering Strait at the end of the last Ice Age.
> >
> > The Young Hol Chan, named after the cenote where he was discovered, was
> > found in a darkened cave 27 feet beneath the surface.
> >
> > (Reporting by Patrick Rucker; editing by Todd Eastham)
> >
> > http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11473831

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- >The corpse was discovered in 2006 by a pair of German cave divers who were exploring unique flooded sandstone sinkholes, known as cenotes, common to the eastern Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
><http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11473831>

It is pretty unlikely that the cenote is in sandstone. Limestone is far more likely.

Mark Minton

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- According to Jim Coke, head of the Quintana Roo Speleological Survey (QRSS), the proper name of the cave is Cenote Chan Hol, rather than Hol Chan. He also sends two additional links to the story:

<http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp> click on More for full story.
<http://www2.esmas.com/noticierostelevisa/cultura/> Click on headline for full story. There's also a downloadable PDF.

Mark Minton

At 03:58 AM 8/25/2010, jerryat...@aol.com wrote:
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11473831>

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Today's issue of Nature magazine includes a News report about the analysis of genes in various dog breeds to identify genetic causes for neuropsychiatric diseases in humans (and dogs, of course).

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100825/pdf/4661036a.pdf

If you're unable to download the PDF, contact me and I'll forward it to you.

How is this related to caving? Lots of cavers like to bring their dogs to TCR, and some of them are neurotic (dogs or cavers, you decide).

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Anyone going to TAG this year?

"Semper Exploro" Ryan MonjarasMaverick GrottoCowtown GrottoDFW
Grotto(832)754-5778

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ryan, a bunch of Texas cavers have already been to TAG (the area) this
year.  If you mean the TAG Fall Cave-in (the event), then you need to be
more specific.

-- Crash