Tips that could save Chile's trapped miners

A Briton who spent 105 days alone in a cave offers advice to  the 33 men
who may be underground until Christmas
<AUTHOR>By Nina
Sunday, 29 August 2010

The national celebrations in Chile after 33 workers were  found alive
almost 700m underground in the collapsed San Jose mine in Copiapo,  turned to
horror as it emerged that the miners may not be brought to the surface  for
another four months.
Supplies have been sent down a bore hole 8cm wide but the men  – buried
since 5 August – must remain holed up in a 50m2 emergency shelter at  the gold
and copper mine, where temperatures are above 36C, perhaps until  Christmas.
Some will cope better than others, but already five of the group were  said
to be exhibiting signs of depression, refusing to take part in a video film
 the other men made for relatives.
One person who can understand the miners' coming  ordeal is Geoff Workman,
81, from Harrogate. He spent 105 days living alone  underground in a cave in
1963 – breaking the world record at the time by 45  days. His _aim was_
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tips-that-could-save-chiles-tr
apped-miners-2064734.html#)   to prove that people can survive,
psychologically as well as physically, for so  long. Although his effort was
planned
meticulously – he had enough food, plenty  of space and a busy work programme
studying the _geology_
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tips-that-could-save-chiles-trapped-miners-2064734.html#)
   of the caves – Mr
Workman's experience offers insights into how the Chilean  miners will be
feeling and the challenges that lie ahead.
He believes discipline and a daily routine are vital to  ensure they come
out in one _psychological_
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tips-that-could-save-chiles-trapped-miners-2064734.html#)
   piece. "I'm sure
they are feeling disappointed... but they must stay  disciplined: get up
every day, wash, do their exercises, as this is what will  help them mentally
to survive those conditions," he says. "Even though they  don't have much
space, exercises like hopping on the spot are essential for  their physical
and mental well-being."
Dr James Thompson, a psychologist from University College  London, says it
is vital that the miners maintain trust in those above ground  who are
trying to _secure_
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tips-that-could-save-chiles-trapped-miners-2064734.html#)
   their release. Mr Workman
agrees that any doubt will make it much harder to stay  strong.
"They must also remain hopeful and confident about being  rescued; the
uncertainty will be difficult but they mustn't lose hope," he says.  "Having
each other will be a great advantage. If one or two of the men are going
through a low point, the others can support them. When I went through low
points, being alone was difficult. Before me, it was thought that human beings
couldn't survive underground any longer than 65 days. So right after I broke
the  world record I started to worry about whether I could survive, and
having no one  to talk to about this wasn't easy."
The heat is causing a number of problems for the Chilean  miners:
dehydration, fatigue and weakness. Not so for Mr Workman. "The most  difficult
thing
for me was the damp. Keeping my clothes and sleeping bag dry was
impossible. In Chile, it seems heat is the big problem, which will tire and
dehydrate
them. Though I came out much paler, a lack of sunlight didn't bother  me so
much – the light from the lamps I had with me was fine."
A caving enthusiast, Mr Workman still spends three days a  week slowly
burrowing through a vault, 6ft high and 11-inch wide, at Stump Cross  Caverns
in
North Yorkshire, trying to find a set of beautiful caves and an
underground lake which have been hidden since the 1920s.
"The single most important thing for the miners is keeping  busy with a
day-to-day routine. This is a must for their physical and mental  well-being."