texascavers Digest 1 Sep 2010 19:58:24 -0000 Issue 1143

Topics (messages 15914 through 15931):

Re: Purificacion related ( I think )
        15914 by: Gill Edigar
        15915 by: Frank Binney

Re: Cave Lighting Install
        15916 by: Gerry and Cindy Geletzke

new book available from AMCS
        15917 by: Mixon Bill

off topic - last night for Blue Monday on KUT after 29 years
        15918 by: Logan McNatt
        15920 by: Gill Edigar

for you kayakers
        15919 by: David

Laguna de Sanchez road working trip
        15921 by: Sheryl Rieck
        15922 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        15926 by: Nico Escamilla

White Nose Syndrome video prepared by Texas Parks and Wildlife
        15923 by: Geary Schindel

Honeycreek trip Sept 18th
        15924 by: Kurt L. Menking

Caving conferences down south
        15925 by: George Veni

Forests and Deserts to UT Grotto meeting
        15927 by: Mixon Bill

Bedbugs, bats and caves in Science (NY) Times
        15928 by: caverarch.aol.com

a new LED flashlight review
        15929 by: David

excellent compact caver car for sale (Austin)
        15930 by: Saj Zappitello

Gary Franklin
        15931 by: Nico Escamilla

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a town along the highway to Ciudad Victoria called Hidalgo.
> It is just northeast of the Purificacion area.
> The mayor of that town was found shot to death today.

Geography lesson for the day.
    The city of Hidalgo is as you described it. It is also the seat of
government for the Municipio de Hidalgo (more or less the status of a
county in Texas) which, by chance, is the Municipio in which Conrado
Castillo exists politically, though in the farthest southwest corner.
The owners and inhabitants of Conrado Castillo have always been
treated like an orphan child out in the far reaches of the boondocks
by the perpetually corrupt government in Hidalgo.
    I think this is not the first mayor that's been shot there in the
past 50 years. Being a local politician in Mexico is fraught with much
fear and uncertainty. The perceived rewards of office must make them
worth running for. After all, not everybody dies in office. Most walk
away rich--or richer, at least--than when they entered though not
without some ulcers.
--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
One of my favorite films about the potential rewards and fatal pitfalls of
being a small town mayor in rural Mexico is La ley de Herodes (Herod's Law).
You can find it on Netflix if your local video store doesn't have it. It's a
very funny satirical look at political corruption that will be especially
relevant to those oldsters among us who remember when Mexico was essentially
a one-party system under PRI.
--Frank Binney

On 8/30/10 5:08 PM, "Gill Edigar" <gi...@att.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is a town along the highway to Ciudad Victoria called Hidalgo.
>> It is just northeast of the Purificacion area.
>> The mayor of that town was found shot to death today.
>
> Geography lesson for the day.
>     The city of Hidalgo is as you described it. It is also the seat of
> government for the Municipio de Hidalgo (more or less the status of a
> county in Texas) which, by chance, is the Municipio in which Conrado
> Castillo exists politically, though in the farthest southwest corner.
> The owners and inhabitants of Conrado Castillo have always been
> treated like an orphan child out in the far reaches of the boondocks
> by the perpetually corrupt government in Hidalgo.
>     I think this is not the first mayor that's been shot there in the
> past 50 years. Being a local politician in Mexico is fraught with much
> fear and uncertainty. The perceived rewards of office must make them
> worth running for. After all, not everybody dies in office. Most walk
> away rich--or richer, at least--than when they entered though not
> without some ulcers.
> --Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Charles,
James Brown, Lydia Hernandez, Scott Kyle and I hauled Jame's dive gear to the
sump.  The film crew set up on the ledge overlooking the mud dome and on the
mud dome overlooking the sump.  James was expecting somebody to bring tarps to
the cavern to cover a portion of the mud slope down to the sump but they did
not arrive.  As a result, James made the decision to dive the pool at the sump
entrance with only his mask and fins but no tanks.  He explored the perimeter
of the pool down to a depth of about fifteen feet or so and said that he would
like to return and dive it with his tanks.  The film crew interviewed James and
filmed him entering and leaving the pool as well as climbing the steep mud
slope up to the base of the short climb, 10-15 feet, leading to the previously
mentioned ledge.  The film crew also filmed one of their helpers making the
short climb up to the ledge next to a nice formation.
Gerry Geletzke
Date: 4-7 February 2011

Contacts: ponenc...@xcongresoespeleologia.org, congresopuebla2...@umae.org

Web: http://xcongresoespeleologia.org/default.aspx

Second Meeting of the Uruguay Speleological Center Mario Isola

Place: Zona de Arequita, Departamento de Lavalleja, Uruguay

Date: 25-26 September 2010

Contacts: ce...@hotmail.com, ce...@adinet.com.uy, +5982-509-4397

Web: http://www.redcamelot.com/ceumi_uruguay/

Feel free to share this information but don’t ask me for details. All I know
is what is posted on the websites.

George

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'll be taking a few copies of the book "From Forests to Deserts" reviewed here recently to the UT Grotto meeting tomorrow night for sale by the Association for Mexican Cave Studies. For this kick-off sale, $30 will suffice (they're $32 in our catalog and €30=$38 list price). -- Mixon
Home is that place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
They Crawl, They Bite, They Baffle Scientists
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.
Published: August 30, 2010

The bugs have probably been biting our ancestors since they moved from trees to
caves. The bugs are “nest parasites” that fed on bats and cave birds like
swallows before man moved in.
That makes their disease-free status even more baffling.

(The bites itch, and can cause anaphylactic shock in rare cases, and dust
containing feces and molted shells has triggered asthma attacks, but these are
all allergic reactions, not disease.)
Bats are sources of rabies, Ebola, SARS and Nipah virus. And other biting bugs
are disease carriers — mosquitoes formalaria and West Nile, ticks for Lyme and
babesiosis, lice for typhus, fleas for plague, tsetse flies for sleeping
sickness, kissing bugs for Chagas. Even nonbiting bugs like houseflies and
cockroaches transmit disease by carrying bacteria on their feet or in their
feces or vomit.
But bedbugs, despite the ick factor, are clean.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/science/31bedbug.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
They Crawl, They Bite, They Baffle Scientists
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Today I purchased a new flashlight at Walmart that I haven't yet seen.

I couldn't find anything about it on the web, so you hear about it first
here on CaveTex.

It is a large handheld flashlight suitable for the glovebox, or for carrying
in your hand while walking in a huge cave passage.

The name on the package is Coleman MAX Ultra High Power Flashlight.

The unique feature is that it uses 6 AA batteries, that load like shells in
a double barrel shotgun.

For its weight it puts out the brightest LED flashlight I have seen.
 Meaning the
brighter ones are much heavier.

Cost is $ 25 which is steep by retail prices of LED flashlights now.

Switch feels solid, but difficult to locate in the dark.     Screw on
tailcap seems
rugged, and battery compartment seems rugged.    States that it is
water-resistant,
and probably dunkable.

The light pattern at 100 feet away has an annoying bright spot in the
center and is too
dim ever where else, but bright enough that I expect you would be able
to see the walls
of a large passage.    ( Disclaimer:   I don't have a large cave
passage to test that )

Overall, it is a good flashlight.     Like all the other large LED
flashlights I have reviewed,
there are the same issues with room for improvement.    There is no
collator lens or anything to
diffuse the light pattern, so the spot in the center blinds you at close range.
There is no dimmer switch.    For a $ 25 light, it should now have at least
one low setting.

The handle needs a rubber grip.

I would compare the brightness to an old Princeton TEC Surge, or the
Black Ice Hero
by Browning, both of which weigh much more than this light and cost 3 times
as much.

Package does not have anything that appears to be an obvious model
number.   Maybe
20100219.

It does state the flashlight meets ANSI FL1 standards:

    http://www.nema.org/media/pr/20090928a.cfm

Specs:   26 hours of light, 248 meters of light beam.

Uses a CREE brand LED, and has lightweight ABS construction.   The lens appears
heavy duty.

The package states in 3 places that it is Ultra Tough can survive a 3
meter drop test on
concrete.    I doubt that.     Should we find out?

It sort of looks like the flashlight pictured below, but has more
narrow lens cap:

http://www.metroplextrading.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/7973_1_.jpg

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy,

I am selling my 1994 Acura Integra. It is a 2-door hatchback, compact on the
outside, and with way more space on the inside than you would
expect--perfect for a caver looking for a compact car. I know we all love
our trucks, but sometimes a car is just more efficient. It had a new honda
engine put in by a mechanic that I trust just before I bought it a few years
ago, so it has a lot of life left in it. Black, manual transmission, AC
works, tinted windows, moonroof, drives great, some superficial dents to
exterior. $3000 firm.

I love this car and am sad to see it go. I would like to sell it to someone
who will enjoy it as much as I have.

Email me off list for pics and details sajar...@gmail.com.

~Saj

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
For those interested Gary called me, he made it out of Laguna de Sanchez
with the van and is on his way to Austin
might even get there in time to make the grotto meeting.

my advice to the owners of the other two vehicles still there would be to
come down and get them out as soon as possible
before it rains and the fragile road gets washed again.

Nico

--- End Message ---