Someone ought to post more on this subject because of the potential for
Hazardous levels of Carbon Dioxide in many areas of Texas.

We seem to have been blessed with a lot of karst (Ellenberger primarily)
prone to generating high levels of CO2 in the warmer months.  I can tell you
that it can certainly present a life threatening scenario where vertical
caving is concerned.

I have been in very low air while crawling around and it can be very
disconcerting but one can generally evacuate to better air or be assisted.
On rope in still air it can most certainly become life threatening very
quickly when rappelling into a pool of Carbon Dioxide.  I became severely
disoriented and made an emergency egress after fast rappelling 75 feet into
a cave in Cedar Park and hitting the bottom in what was probably life
threatening levels of CO2.  Had I not made it out it would probably have
been a body recovery and could have involved more than one person if another
caver had descended to aid me not knowing the nature of the emergency.

You should be aware that CO2 is a common occurrence in many caves and if you
are on rope descend with caution should you notice bad air.  It doesn't mean
it will be life threatening but the change can occur very quickly and one
needs to be prepared, should the air suddenly become extremely bad, to
change over and get the hell out post haste.

I know decomposition of organic debris is the primary cause in most caves.
Not sure what research has been done on this phenomena or why it seems to
occur mainly in many Ellenberger caves.  Want to say this is an oil bearing
rock and CO2 may be the result of microbial activity?  Any comments on this
from someone in the know.

Scott

  _____