I started an airflow study in Robber Baron a year ago which has been continued
by Evelynn in it and other area caves. We monitored CO2 at several minute
sampling intervals over several days. CO2 levels varied widely from a little
over 1000 ppm to over 12000 ppm. The changes in CO2 concentration closely
followed changes in barometric pressure and large CO2 changes could occur in as
little as an hour. Thus a single point measurement, like some of the other ones
mentioned, may not tell you much in a cave with airflow.

Another interesting factor is that after a strong pressure rise, like after
cold front arrives in the winter months, there is a lag, often of a few days,
before the CO2 starts to rise again, even after the pressure has fallen some.
This suggests there is a reservoir or source of CO2 at some point beyond the
known cave that requires some extended period of outflow to draw it out after a
large amount of outside air has been pulled in. In the summer, the CO2 response
is faster since there is a small daily pressure cycle that does not draw in as
much outside air. Overall then, the air seems "worse" in the summer since there
are fewer large pressure increase event to push "good" outside air into the
cave.

In many high CO2 caves that I have been in around San Antonio there are few
significant organics to decompose, so I don't think that is the source. I tend
to go with Jerry's #2 or #3 hypothesis. Around San Antonio, I suspect the water
in the aquifer dissolving carbonates may be the source of the outgassing and
that caves with some connection to it are the ones with the periodically high
CO2 - ie. as the cave blows out it pulls up CO2 from much deeper areas up to
near the surface and then pushes it back down when it blow in.

There are several groups currently doing research in this area and one problem
is the hostile cave environment reeking havoc in instruments left in over the
long term (condensation, corrosion, etc.)

Joe