Depending on context, DSV could be either Diving Support Vessel (a boat), or Dive/Surface Valve, used on rebreathers: <http://www.divenet.com/divematics/mouthpiece/>.

Mark Minton

At 10:30 AM 6/19/2010, Mixon Bill wrote:
"The Essentials of Cave Diving." Jill Heinerth. Heinerth Productions,
High Springs, Florida; 2010. ISBN 978-0-9798789-4-7. 7 by 10 inches,
200 pages, softbound. $49.95.

Jill Heinerth is a cave diver with worldwide experience, known
especially for photography and rebreather use and training. This
introductory book is heavily illustrated with many of her color
photographs. It covers pretty much all the things one would expect,
but there's a lot of variation in the depth of coverage. For example,
there is quite a bit about oxygen toxicity, with several tables, but
relatively little about decompression; perhaps it is assumed that
everybody these days uses a dive computer that figures that out for
you. There is a lot of rather scattered information about the use of
closed-circuit rebreathers in cave diving, but if you don't already
know what they are and how they work, it will be mysterious. A special
section addresses women's issues, including, to my surprise, how they
might use pee valves in dry suits.

I didn't notice any errors that might get somebody killed, but then
I'm no expert. On the other hand, there are a lot of niggling little
things that sap the reader's confidence. For example, kernmantle is a
material (page 81). Two views of the same piece of gear are labeled as
two different things (page 77). The Cave Diving Group of Great Britain
was formed in 1935 (page 21) and 1946 (page 34). The extensive
glossary defines a lot of terms that I don't think appear elsewhere in
the book, but leaves some things undefined. I still haven't deciphered
DSV (page 129). Some jargon may be familiar only to those who don't
need the book. What is a guideline placement? Why do cave divers use
reference as a verb?

There isn't as much text as the size of the book suggests, because
there are sidebars and wide margins. Some of the material is quite
advanced, but still the overall style of the writing and the graphic
design of the book make it look like it's intended for someone younger
or dumber than any diver would want for a partner. I recommend it only
for someone who has just a casual interest in what cave diving is all
about and a high tolerance for bad grammar and punctuation.--Bill Mixon

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org