Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth. James M. Tabor. Random House, New York; 2010. ISBN 978-1-4000-6767-1. 6 by 9 inches, 286 pages, hardbound. $26.00. (Amazon will rent you the privilege of reading it on a Kindle for 90 percent of what they charge for the real book. They can't be serious. The ISBN of the eBook edition is 978-1-58836-944-9.)

That guy should be on drugs. To judge by the fifty-three very short chapters in this book, he has an attention-deficit disorder. He ends the tiny chapters with cliff-hangers, many of them contrived. He easily gets overexcited. Everything is super—supercaves and supercavers, terminology I hope doesn't catch on. Sometimes he is completely out of control. Cavers don't go about "banging like human wrecking balls into rock faces."

This book is about the quest for world-record-deep caves and especially about the men who have been the principal leaders in the explorations of Sistemas Huautla and Cheve in Oaxaca, Mexico, and Krubera Cave in Abkhasia, Republic of Georgia (or not, depending on your politics). With regard to both caves and leaders, the goal of the author was to "compare and contrast," like a feared college essay assignment. The first half of the book is about Bill Stone and the Mexican projects through 2003, and part 2, much shorter, is on Alexander Klimchouk and the exploration of Krubera through the same year. This is especially welcome, because relatively little has been published in English about that project. Part 3 covers the expeditions of both teams in 2004, which is when the book really ends, although a short afterword updates things somewhat. The Mexican caves were and still are essentially tied at about 1480 meters deep. Krubera turned out to be the deepest _known_ cave by a good measure, at 2,191 meters. We will probably never be sure where the "deepest place on earth" really is, although Krubera will be hard to beat. There is a sixteen-page insert of color photos, including one that includes my decidedly non-supercaver self, but the book is otherwise not illustrated.

I never did get used to Tabor's giving all the dimensions of caves in Mexico and Europe in feet, but I suppose it might be appropriate for the unsophisticated audience for whom the book clearly was written. Of greater concern are the errors or half-truths for effect. A few of them are significant. There was not, in fact, a lot of digging involved in pushing Cueva Charco, near Cheve. It was misleading to write that Chris Yeager's body was hauled out of Cheve in three days; the whole recovery project took two weeks. More of them are merely annoying. Abkhasia is not in southeastern Georgia. It is actually at the opposite end of that country. The names of the first team to reach Saknussemm's Well in Cueva Cheve are wrong. Cheve's Camp 2 is not 3.1 miles from the entrance. The correct distance is 2.3 miles (3.7 kilometers). This list could be extended past the point of tedium.

There are a lot more things that are right than wrong, of course, and the subject is a fascinating and, yes, exciting one. While Tabor's enthusiasm for the triumphs is sometimes over the top, problems and controversies have not been whitewashed. I can't say that the principal characters are seriously misrepresented. The general public will get an only mildly distorted view of some hard-core exploration unfamiliar to most of them, and cavers will enjoy reading it, as long as they're not expecting more than a lightweight writer careless of facts and more than a little given to hyperbole.--—Bill Mixon
You can live down anything but a good reputation.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org