From: Brian Vauter [mailto:bvau...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:02 PM
To: texascavers
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Re: Ultra Electronics "Rockphone"

I had also noticed their lack of any real data on the phone's range through
rock.

There's a link to a publication called the Government Security News that has
an article on the Rock Phones. In the article, they also don't mention how
far the voice signals can penetrate. An interesting aside, however, is that
they also state that US Special Forces paid them $5.7 million for a special
detonating device (MI-RAMS) which can transmit a signal through 150 to 500
meters "of any material (soil, rock, etc.) to remotely detonate explosives.
A vehicle-mounted system can apparently transmit up to 1,500 meters.

I assume that the signal to make "boom" is easier to send than the signal to
say "boom."

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.gsnmagazine.com/article/20744/
<http://www.gsnmagazine.com/article/20744/%E2%80%98rock_phones%E2%80%99_coul
d_help_us_forces_pursue_osama_bi>
'rock_phones'_could_help_us_forces_pursue_osama_bi

-brian